DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

They have a ton of arenas throughout the country that are under 10,000. Orleans in Vegas holds 9,500, Showare in Kent Washington holds 7,600, I could go on Wikipedia is full of them. Smart money would be running the smaller arenas for tv and save  the 10,000+ ones for the big PPV style events.

19 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

They have a ton of arenas throughout the country that are under 10,000. Orleans in Vegas holds 9,500, Showare in Kent Washington holds 7,600, I could go on Wikipedia is full of them. Smart money would be running the smaller arenas for tv and save  the 10,000+ ones for the big PPV style events.

I literally just posted that in the AEW thread lol. Great minds ?

7 hours ago, AxB said:

AEW is a hard one to call, because on the one hand they drew a ful house to All In with no telly, but at the same time, that was basically an indie Wrestlemania. They drew 10,000 people in Chicago, but they didn't draw 10,000 people from Chicago. People came from all over the world to see this one historic event. Unlikely to replicate that for a TV taping.

This is kind of what annoys me about AEW. It all feels too soon and untested. I really wish they tried to do a few more shows including a couple w/o NJPW/ROH support before jumping in for a full blown promotion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Should be good

Nigel was soooo freaking good when he was the ROH Pure champ, chasing the ROH world title and as the ROH world champ. That run is one well worth visiting that still lives up to this day.

Both TakeOver and this documentary should be good.

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

This is kind of what annoys me about AEW. It all feels too soon and untested. I really wish they tried to do a few more shows including a couple w/o NJPW/ROH support before jumping in for a full blown promotion.

Will probably be WXO on a bigger scale.

1 hour ago, Betsy Zeidler said:

I'm weirded out by the norse/viking stuff, that's generally an indicator of White Supremacist tendencies.

I won't accuse Rowe and Sarah of having white supremacist tendencies because I don't know them or have any proof. However, I have similar feelings about the Norse/viking stuff. I do read about it quite a bit and the ties to Nazism. I don't support any of those beliefs; I just like to read a lot about history. My ancestors were considered a lesser race according to the Aryan race, so fuck nazis and their beliefs.

• Like 4

This is digressing a lot, and I'm certainly not accusing Rowe or Logan of anything, but the SPLC has listed Thor's Hammer and various "Odinist" symbols as white supremacist call signs for at least a decade; since then, the Wolves of Vinland and Operation Werewolf have become (probably, it's hard to track) the fastest growing white supremacist groups, awhile preaching an ahistorical viking colonization of America. The black metal scene overlaps a lot, but these aren't all Burzum fans.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Beech27 said:

This is digressing a lot, and I'm certainly not accusing Rowe or Logan of anything, but the SPLC has listed Thor's Hammer and various "Odinist" symbols as white supremacist call signs for at least a decade; since then, the Wolves of Vinland and Operation Werewolf have become (probably, it's hard to track) the fastest growing white supremacist groups, awhile preaching an ahistorical viking colonization of America. The black metal scene overlaps a lot, but these aren't all Burzum fans.

I'd worry if Varg Vikernes was invited to the wedding.

• Like 2

And sometimes an interest or belief in Odinism and vikings has nothing to do with Nazis or white power; many Norse groups (religious, recreational, historical, et al) actively distance themselves from racial pride or fascist organizations and individuals. The Nazis co-opted lots of stuff, and really vikings had little to do with German history (and they stole the term "Aryan" while I am at it) but they ret-conned runes and such into their own mythology. That said, there undoubtedly is these days crossover of these worldviews, and one is allowed to be suspicious. Not all bikers are Nazis/Aryan Nations/White Pride knuckleheads either, not all Muslims are jihadists, not all Satanists hate Christianity, and so on.  What a world...

- RAF, who maintains an interest in all subcultures

p.s. - the wedding looked nice but the clothes looked itchy

• Like 10

I like Rowe and Sarah quite a bit on TV and would like to think that they're wonderfully awesome people IRL.  I never knew about that part of the Viking/Norse history and the crossover that has with white supremacists.  I'm not necessarily surprised but have never looked that up.   I would like think they just want to be super-badass people and are into Viking metal.  So with that unless proven wrong I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4