DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So, what's the consensus on Kenny Omega to WWE?  As a fan, I think it'd be great.  Fresh matchups for him, for others already there, and I don't think he'd dog the matches in ways other wrestlers have.  Yeah, he'd have to put over the Baron Corbins and Lashleys types, and there'd probably be some idiocy involved.  But even if he's used terribly it'd still be a net positive.  And they wouldn't pay top dollar to just bury him on Main Event or whatever.  He'd get some run on TV. 

And, he'd get a big payday, exposure, and theoretically, if it sucks, a glorious return to Japan could be had in the future.  I'm not counting on AEW to actually turn into anything until it actually has a TV Deal I can actually watch.  I love New Japan, but I think they'd survive, and they could do a better job of using all their "home-grown" talent better, instead of relying on the gaijin or whatever. 

So, do we want him in WWE or not?

19 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So, do we want him in WWE or not? 

Doesn't interest me personally, but I haven't been big on what Omega I have seen despite thinking he is good. Aside from that I still don't think he is coming anyways.

• Like 1

I don't want Kenny Omega in WWE. He would essentially need to get lucky like AJ Styles did or else he'll be a JAG like so many others. Go blaze your own trail. WWE doesn't have to be the be all end all of wrestling. 

Or honestly, keep taking short year deals and wait out Vince stepping away. 

• Like 4

Kenny is already the theoretical star of AEW before it’s debut US show. It’d be crazy for him to go to the WWE were they’ll give him about 3 months of rope before deciding whether he’s a top star, or not. After that he won’t be guaranteed a long time at the top. If AEW is a success in theory, he has a potential to be on top of that promotion for 8, or 10 years given his age. I personally would rather give it a go as the top star out of the gate, rather than “The Dream” of working for Vince.

• Like 1

If there was a venue for Omega's over the top silliness it's definitely WWE. Selfishly I'd like to see him, in his current form in matches with Bryan, AJ, Roman, Cesaro, Braun etc. Do I think he'll be given even the slightest bit of control over his character? Not for a while. AJ wasn't lucky, if you have the talent and know how to maneuver in front of the WWE audience you're golden. I doubt Vince would have been talked into spending millions on a project that's going to languish on main event, for example. With Roman being on the sidelines Omega is a top guy, immediately. 

If the money on the table is in the millions you take the deal. Making you and your family very wealthy while becoming a superstar showcasing your talent in front of worldwide audience, it's a no brainer.

But it's come at a bad time. Kenny and the Elite have laid the ground work for something very organic and special with AEW.

Would Kenny sell out his friends and AEW? Absolutely not. He'll go to AEW while cutting a deal to stay with New Japan. 

Some wrestlers would cancel for a hangnail.  She wrestled despite her menses.  One of my own female colleagues - and all we do at mental health is talk real good for a living - would have called in for hers. 

I'm impressed by the work ethic in that video.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OSJ said:

Did Brian James actually use "dignity" and "pro-wrestling" in the same sentence? LOL! 

The part where he said the stuff he did like that was a long time ago and he’s matured since then would be more effective if he wasn’t the head writer for a show where a guy fed other people pancakes he had removed from his diaper.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Omega on Smackdown, to be honest. Or in NXT. But NXT is a waste for someone of his talent. 

I'm sure that NXT has no shortage of workers who can kill the heat of a match by making grotesque faces and admiring themselves on the overhead monitor.

12 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'm sure that NXT has no shortage of workers who can kill the heat of a match by making grotesque faces and admiring themselves on the overhead monitor.

Ouch haha. I mean, you're not wrong but I kind of dig it so I can overlook how silly it really is. I think we all are willing to make exceptions for some wrestlers. 

Here's the thing: the amount of money it would cost to sign Kenny would put them in a position where they have to push him as a top guy to justify the cost. I don't think they'd bury him unless it completely flopped. I don't know I trust creative to get him over with people who don't know him though.

I'd rather he does NJPW with a side of AEW, but if he comes to Stamford, I'm fine with it.