DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is The Napoleonic Code - 9/10/2018

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, The Green Meanie said:

It's the exact opposite for me. I really don't care to hear what (most) of them have to say. I couldn't change the channel on Mick fast enough tonight.

It's not whether or not I care more about what they have to say, it's that they are saying it better and with more passion than anyone on the current roster approaches.

Possibly because they aren't heavily scripted. If WWE is going to insist on scripting they should really add actual acting classes to the Performance Center program. Not promo classes they won't be allowed to apply on main roster promos, but flat out college acting classes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

If WWE is going to insist on scripting they should really add actual acting classes to the Performance Center program. Not promo classes they won't be allowed to apply on main roster promos, but flat out college acting classes.

with Professor Aiden English

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

It's not whether or not I care more about what they have to say, it's that they are saying it better and with more passion than anyone on the current roster approaches.

Possibly because they aren't heavily scripted. If WWE is going to insist on scripting they should really add actual acting classes to the Performance Center program. Not promo classes they won't be allowed to apply on main roster promos, but flat out college acting classes.

I get that, but I feel what overcomes that is the fact that you're going to get a prodding, 20 minute long promo. I think the cons outweigh the pros in this situation.

This is another example of the issue of the WWE using social media to enhance their storytelling.

I watch no WWE TV at the moment and I know the reason they are going with Drake being with AOP but you people who watch don't

Drake Maverick uploaded a video where he gave a storyline explanation for why he’s now managing The Authors of Pain. He said that, like with 205 Live, he recognizes untapped potential when he sees it. He said he’ll empower AOP’s sadistic instincts and is unleashing them on every tag team on Raw.

Now that is probably on the announcers to explain this too but we know how reliable RAW and SDL announcing is

• Like 3

The whole “untapped potential” thing is a) in line with his 205Live GM role because he’s been a mostly neutral GM, encouraging guys like Drew and Jack to stop screwing around and get serious and b) a potential opportunity to build out a stable (not a faction of course) with one or two other guys who are underused (or hell, Boss Hugg).

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

The OG's lived or died by their promos in the 90's, it's no surprise they kick ass every time they're called upon. Owens did cut a good promo, but I'm still unsure as to why he ''quit''. More unnecessary overproduced garbage, but that's Raw. 

Not necessarily an explanation, but if there was ever a guy who needs a reboot, it's Kevin Owens.  I can't remember the last time he won any match of significance or came off as any sort of threat (Shane and his oofing?) That Strowman feud made him look so bad, I thought he was about to be released.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Not necessarily an explanation, but if there was ever a guy who needs a reboot, it's Kevin Owens.  I can't remember the last time he won any match of significance or came off as any sort of threat (Shane and his oofing?) That Strowman feud made him look so bad, I thought he was about to be released.

Especially the squash at SummerSlam this year. I was wondering what the fuck he'd done.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rick said:

With Drake managing AOP, Lio coaching/managing Lashley and Gulak being involved in those Shield brawls the past two weeks it seems like Vince is poaching the best characters from 205 and sprinkling them over to the main shows. Wouldn't surprise me to see more inclusions over the next few weeks. As far as I'm aware the cruisers aren't even a thing on Raw anymore. 

A while ago in the omnibus thread we were all talking about those surveys WWE emails us, and I do recall a question about whether 205 Live talent being featured on Raw played into why one does or doesn't watch 205 Live. I wonder how much they pay attention to that stuff. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

KO's backslide seems to have started when he and Zayn were sent home from the European tour last fall. Did we ever learn the reason for that?

Not that I remember. For a while I think the working theory was that they were "being annoying on the bus" but then I think that was revealed to be Big Cass (unless I'm mixing up the tours)

The KO and Zayn stuff was debunked.

That also happened in November and each were still in featured roles after that.

I think with KO it's just a case of that being the guy or one of the guys Vince thinks is bulletproof to shitty booking where he can just do whatever with him and he'll always be fine. That is, until he isn't and then it becomes a situation where KO can't get over (gee, I wonder why) and then they have nothing for him.

So for KO, and maybe Zayn, they're at that crucial stage where they kinda need to do the Jericho or Christian thing and take whatever they're given and try to make it into the best thing on the show to prove their worth and get back on track.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think with KO it's just a case of that being the guy or one of the guys Vince thinks is bulletproof to shitty booking where he can just do whatever with him and he'll always be fine. That is, until he isn't and then it becomes a situation where KO can't get over (gee, I wonder why) and then they have nothing for him.

That reminds me exactly of that Bam Bam quote in the mediocre thread.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Whoever made the joke last week about Dolph sounding like a teenager on the Simpsons in comparison to Braun and Drew Mac was spot-on, btw. Turned the mute off just to make sure haha

That was me, I can't not hear it now.  He hit a few squeaky teen notes last night also.

"Here's your order of 24 Krusty Burgers Mister Strowman"

Raw was solid.  I have nothing else to say about the show, I'm just off to fantasy book The Simpsons using Raw characters.  

I honestly think KO has the ability to break through and be the face of the company for them if they just let him be the Steve Austin type he should be. He cuts one of the best promos in the company, he can go in the ring, and he can be an ass kicker. 

I hope Owens persists and doesn't give up. He doesn't strike me as the type who would do that, but this company does strange things to people.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

I honestly think KO has the ability to break through and be the face of the company for them if they just let him be the Steve Austin type he should be. He cuts one of the best promos in the company, he can go in the ring, and he can be an ass kicker. 

I hope Owens persists and doesn't give up. He doesn't strike me as the type who would do that, but this company does strange things to people.

I saw an interview with KO post-Summerslam (can't find it now) and he opined the booking a little, something along the lines of "There are highs and lows in every wrestling career. Chalk that one up to a low and move on." Seems like he knows how things work and also didn't he just sign on for another five years?

And agreed, vicious ass kicker Owens is the best Owens. I don't know about him as a face in WWE, but I'm kind of hoping that promo is leading to renewed heel push (if there's even room for another top level heel right now).