Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

Another Attempt at a MARCH Wrestling Thread

Recommended Posts

The problem with Wrestlemania is that WWE hasn't caught on that they've succeeded.

WWE clearly wants Wrestlemania to be pro wrestling's answer to the Super Bowl, the one wrestling show a year casual or non-fans pay attention to.

They succeeded. 

The only problem there is that they haven't caught on that casual and non-fans...really don't need to see part-timers they used to know anymore. The Super Bowl is such that if in the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons come out of the NFC as a relatively unheralded team compared to some of the top teams, casual and non-fans will accept "Well, they made it to the Super Bowl- they must be a good team". That could be the same way with more of the full-timers.

Unfortunately, if the XFL succeeded and took over the Super Bowl as this, WWE would take "Okay, the Patriots are set- they're the biggest draw in the AFC. People love to hate them. The Falcons...nope, not a good enough draw. The Cowboys are given the Super Bowl spot instead...but this Dak Prescott guy? Who'd he ever beat?  Now, let's have Peyton Manning come out of retirement for the game so it's Peyton vs. Brady one more time for the Super Bowl!"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Peck said:

The General would have made a solid mid-80s heel manager.

Shag_and_The_General.jpg

 

And now it's time for the free throws!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem with Wrestlemania is that WWE hasn't caught on that they've succeeded.

WWE clearly wants Wrestlemania to be pro wrestling's answer to the Super Bowl, the one wrestling show a year casual or non-fans pay attention to.

They succeeded. 

The only problem there is that they haven't caught on that casual and non-fans...really don't need to see part-timers they used to know anymore. The Super Bowl is such that if in the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons come out of the NFC as a relatively unheralded team compared to some of the top teams, casual and non-fans will accept "Well, they made it to the Super Bowl- they must be a good team". That could be the same way with more of the full-timers.

Unfortunately, if the XFL succeeded and took over the Super Bowl as this, WWE would take "Okay, the Patriots are set- they're the biggest draw in the AFC. People love to hate them. The Falcons...nope, not a good enough draw. The Cowboys are given the Super Bowl spot instead...but this Dak Prescott guy? Who'd he ever beat?  Now, let's have Peyton Manning come out of retirement for the game so it's Peyton vs. Brady one more time for the Super Bowl!"

Besides never quite grasping that the sport drives the super bowl popularity, not the other way around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The problem with Wrestlemania is that WWE hasn't caught on that they've succeeded.

WWE clearly wants Wrestlemania to be pro wrestling's answer to the Super Bowl, the one wrestling show a year casual or non-fans pay attention to.

They succeeded. 

The only problem there is that they haven't caught on that casual and non-fans...really don't need to see part-timers they used to know anymore. The Super Bowl is such that if in the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons come out of the NFC as a relatively unheralded team compared to some of the top teams, casual and non-fans will accept "Well, they made it to the Super Bowl- they must be a good team". That could be the same way with more of the full-timers.

Unfortunately, if the XFL succeeded and took over the Super Bowl as this, WWE would take "Okay, the Patriots are set- they're the biggest draw in the AFC. People love to hate them. The Falcons...nope, not a good enough draw. The Cowboys are given the Super Bowl spot instead...but this Dak Prescott guy? Who'd he ever beat?  Now, let's have Peyton Manning come out of retirement for the game so it's Peyton vs. Brady one more time for the Super Bowl!"

Why are we assuming Vince even knows who Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are?  Between being 20 years of out step with pop culture and living full-time in a really thick wrestling bubble, Vince's NFL reference points and probably closer to the '85 Bears.

I actually am surprised - but not disappointed - that Mongo never worked for the 'E.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was one of LT's lumberjacks at Wrestlemania XI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Why are we assuming Vince even knows who Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are?  Between being 20 years of out step with pop culture and living full-time in a really thick wrestling bubble, Vince's NFL reference points and probably closer to the '85 Bears.

 

Quite true.  Remember that during the XFL ramp up, the press asked Vince who his favorite football players of all time were and he said "Ernie Ladd and Wahoo McDaniel."  Legit the dude knew ZERO pro football players except the ones who became wrestlers.   All Vince knows is wrestling.  

Edited by Technico Support

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The only problem there is that they haven't caught on that casual and non-fans...really don't need to see part-timers they used to know anymore. The Super Bowl is such that if in the NFL, the Atlanta Falcons come out of the NFC as a relatively unheralded team compared to some of the top teams, casual and non-fans will accept "Well, they made it to the Super Bowl- they must be a good team". That could be the same way with more of the full-timers.

The crazy thing is that WWE used to book Mania just like that in the middle years. Bret, Shawn, Austin, Batista, and Cena all got cemented at WM. Remember when they ran Angle/Lesnar on top over the final Rock/Austin match in 2003?

I think the shift started when Taker and HHH started cutting back their dates, but were always there to be in important matches at Mania. At least those guys were on WWE contracts, though. From there, it was a short trip to the real per appearance guys like The Rock, Lesnar, Sting, and now Goldberg. Don't forget that Batista was supposed to be like that too, but we got a brief respite with a proper Mania story that year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with Wrestlemania is the WWE cares way too much about the fans that will never tune in again after Wrestlemania. They want these one and done viewers to pop an insane buy rate or I guess now subscription number for the network and once that's done they don't really care after the show is over. They don't have to worry until next February/March till the build up to lure them back in again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think there's a place for the part-timers and do believe they draw people in. However, the pendulum has shifted way too far in that direction. Whether you have diehards or casuals watching you still need to deliver high profile, high quality, memorable matches.

Brock v. Goldberg will bring in  attitude era and mma fans.  If you follow that with a rematch of Cena v. AJ maybe you get them to stay awhile. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say Shaq/Big Show did go ahead? What's the finish?

Overweight Shaq in his first real match comes out and beats a top guy who's trained ridiculously hard for months in preparation? Big Show beats a non-wrestler? 

Booked themselves into a corner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they've announced this year's official Mania theme...

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still better than My House

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Say Shaq/Big Show did go ahead? What's the finish?

Overweight Shaq in his first real match comes out and beats a top guy who's trained ridiculously hard for months in preparation? Big Show beats a non-wrestler? 

Booked themselves into a corner.

Show always jobs to the celebrity, it's tradition.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Tell me , big show, how my ass tastes" 

Etc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see Shaq come out with his All-Pro team - Rick Fox, Samaki Walker, Rasual Butler, Christian Laettner, Nick Anderson, etc. Hits a bulldog as soon as the bell rings for a one count, then gets knocked the fuck out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TV adverts for the post-Mania UK tours say "Catch all your favourite Smackdown LIVE! Superstars (without naming a single one of them - draft after 'Mania?), and WWE UK Champion Tyler Bate." 

Which got me wondering: The 205 Live guys are on the RAW roster (and hence presumably working RAW house shows at the weekend), but they work the Smackdown taping on Tuesdays as well. So are they actually getting paid more than everyone else, due to working one extra day a week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AxB said:

TV adverts for the post-Mania UK tours say "Catch all your favourite Smackdown LIVE! Superstars (without naming a single one of them - draft after 'Mania?), and WWE UK Champion Tyler Bate." 

Which got me wondering: The 205 Live guys are on the RAW roster (and hence presumably working RAW house shows at the weekend), but they work the Smackdown taping on Tuesdays as well. So are they actually getting paid more than everyone else, due to working one extra day a week?

 

u20b8.jpg

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spat my tea with that Vince reaction.

Elucidate a brother out, when did the Miz started doing Bryan's Yes! pointy fingers and kicks to the chest stuff?

Edited by MarcosLoura
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the first Miz/Ziggler match. In general though it was after Miz and Bryan argued over Miz's style & talent as a wrestler on Talking Smack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

"Tell me , big show, how my ass tastes" 

Etc

I hope this is a reference that I just haven't become privy to.

I really really hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, nate said:

I hope this is a reference that I just haven't become privy to.

I really really hope.

During the height of the Shaq-Kobe Bryant feud, I believe after Shaq left the Lakers and won another title in Miami, he did a rap at some event somewhere where he spat the memorable line, "Kobe, tell me how my ass taste"...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AxB said:

 

Which got me wondering: The 205 Live guys are on the RAW roster (and hence presumably working RAW house shows at the weekend), but they work the Smackdown taping on Tuesdays as well. So are they actually getting paid more than everyone else, due to working one extra day a week?

Unless I'm mistaken, the 205 guys don't work Raw house shows.  They do occasionally work NXT house shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the 205 guys don't work Raw house shows.  They do occasionally work NXT house shows.

Neville/Swann/Perkins worked a Raw House Show I was at 2 months ago. I think just the top guys do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MarcosLoura said:

I spat my tea with that Vince reaction.

Elucidate a brother out, when did the Miz started doing Bryan's Yes! pointy fingers and kicks to the chest stuff?

It's amazing that they have literally tried like a thousand times to give the finger point/yes chat to other wrestlers in the company.  Like the tried to transfer it to the Big Show, and Sheamus, and Stephanie.  It's just so weird.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...