DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

Didn't Paige mention having a nagging neck injury or something and being ready to go back to England to get some time off so she could get surgery or whatever it was she needed?  I've known people who got into and stayed in unhealthy relationships where their SO got them hooked on something and was pretty much their supplier/dealer the whole time.  I'm really starting to wonder if that sort of thing is the case here.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

Didn't Paige mention having a nagging neck injury or something and being ready to go back to England to get some time off so she could get surgery or whatever it was she needed?  I've known people who got into and stayed in unhealthy relationships where their SO got them hooked on something and was pretty much their supplier/dealer the whole time.  I'm really starting to wonder if that sort of thing is the case here.

She had the neck surgery last month. But every time she's in public she's never wearing a neck brace or maybe she just takes it off for pics and videos. Either way that right there should be a cause for concern because don't you at least have to keep the brace on until the doctor says take it off?

Only thing I can say is she's British so she's naturally crazy. The booze and drugs don't help.

4 hours ago, Reed said:

Obviously, every individual has their problems. Blaming Del Rio for "corrupting" her is silly. She's young, of course, but she's still a grown-ass woman who makes her own decisions. 

But these two, eh, they simply aren't good for one another. They appear to be bringing out the very worst in each other. Shades of Sunny/Candido.

It doesn't seem healthy.

I feel like people are jumping the gun on this comparison. 

Though im not gonna lie it's 99% because people are comparing Chris Candido who was awesome to ADR. 

• Like 2

Was thinking of Benoit and how he ended up being a great brawler which few expected with the Sullivan fued.   Has that ever happened in reverse- can anyone think of garbage wrestlers/brawler types who ended up showing they were great technical wrestlers unexpectedly?

I'd mention Flair as someone who was unexpectedly great at garbage wrestling based on his couple of ECW appearance (the WWE ECW not Heyman's)

3 hours ago, alstein said:

Was thinking of Benoit and how he ended up being a great brawler which few expected with the Sullivan fued.   Has that ever happened in reverse- can anyone think of garbage wrestlers/brawler types who ended up showing they were great technical wrestlers unexpectedly?

I'd mention Flair as someone who was unexpectedly great at garbage wrestling based on his couple of ECW appearance (the WWE ECW not Heyman's)

Sabu is a great mat wrestler and has expressed some regret he could not do it more. There are some Sabu/Taz matches where they mat wrestle and Sabu just works circles around him. Also doing some good leg work on Taz. 

Dean Malenko was a great brawler. In 99 he would stand out in brawls with the nWo and Hennig/Windham and later as a face vs Flair.

Edited by Victator
More brilliance
  • Like 1

Man, all the stuff in Jericho's book about Santino is amazing: about Bob Holly calling him the worst worker he'd ever faced and Santino being upset because he couldn't see how he'd be the worst worker ever and saying "Surely you must have wrestled someone worse" at which point he said "Well maybe one or two guys were worse" which made Santino happy; how everyone loved watching his matches because there were a number of moves that he did poorly on purpose and others he did poorly unintentionally; how Santino actually competed in speed-walking competitions (hence him randomly starting to speedwalk to the ring) and told everyone that he was really good at rolling (Laying on the floor and rolling); and the story about Santino at a bar doing karaoke and doing such a great first verse of 'Summer of 69' that everyone was cheering for him, then purposefully singing the rest off-key and adding curse words and forgetting the year on purpose and driving everyone else out of the bar before the song was over.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

Ian Rotten is the obvious one. I always enjoyed when Balls Mahoney would break out his amateur background 

Ian doing really tight amateur work and busting out a headstand to reverse a hold at CHIKARA in 2006 was mindblowing live. 

Sandman can actually wrestle well also.  A good example of a great wrestler turning to brawling would be Raven.  Scotty Anthony in GWF/ Scotty Flamingo in WCW  are total style clashes with what Raven would become.   I tell you if you go back to some old GWF footage and watch his matches they hold up to this day.  I really wish his Pillman Beach Blast match would have been better though.  His early 90's WCW run wasn't the greatest maybe due to Watts inventing the top rope DQ rule. But had he stayed we would never have seen the Raven persona.

On 12/17/2016 at 3:20 PM, Ramo2653 said:

@Reed Based on Total Divas, Kevin didn't seem like the best option either since he pushed for marriage so quickly and by getting a tattoo to propose.

But he wasn't old enough to be her father. Or already married with children.

Proposing by tattoo was a terrible idea, admittedly. But, eh, young guys in love in their 20s are dumb sometimes?

I sorta understand why Paige's family liked Kevin but (apparently) don't like Del Rio,tbh.

1 hour ago, caley said:

That's a pretty nutty streak.  It's funny how WWE audiences turned on Roman Reigns for being shoved down their throats, but Rollins can have 17 straight PPV matches for belts and he's still super popular.

In what universe is Rollins super popular?

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

In what universe is Rollins super popular?

Um, this one?!

He gets major pops every time he comes out.  Has two shirts in the Top 8 best-selling shirts on WWE.com right now.  Crowd reacts to everything he does (Even stupid insults like "Sparkle crotch").  You see his t-shirts everywhere (Other wrestling shows etc.).  So, in what universe is he not super popular?!