DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

34 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Someone made a similar point before in the PPV thread.

But have WWE ever delivered a solid December set of programming and not just done autopilot? Racking my brain here...

Jericho's big wins over Austin and Rock in the same night to unify the WWF and WCW titles was in December at Vengeance 2001, which he still references today.

• Like 2

The then-WWF's December in 1991 was pretty great, both the weekly TV and This Tuesday in Texas. Or is that too far back, and you're only talking WWE-era Decembers?

49 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Jericho's big wins over Austin and Rock in the same night to unify the WWF and WCW titles was in December at Vengeance 2001, which he still references today.

The 98 TV coming off Survivor Series is some of the best WWF TV ever. 

The 88 programming was very good with the Hogan/Bossman feud did big numbers along with Bad News/Savage. 

Though to be fair Demolition as faces were not clicking with the Powers of Pain and Warrior was treading water.

It took a while for the Powers of Pain to click as heels. The double turn was executed very awkwardly. You can tell by the crowd reaction they thought it was a face turn for Mr. Fuji rather than a heel turn for the PoP. 

Warrior didn't really hit his stride until the feud with Rude.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Warrior didn't really hit his stride until the feud with Rude.

It didn't help that Honky Tonk kicked Warrior's ass on TV right after he lost and Warrior was then selling WAY too much against him on the house show rematches.  It was basically Asuka getting pushed around by Billy Kay.

Armageddon 1999 and 2000 were two very underrated PPVs.  HHH/Vince and the forgotten 6-man HITC are at least in the top half of WWE PPV main events.  

Not to mention December 1999 was a pretty damn great buildup to HHH/Cactus Jack.

Now, the Christmas episodes?  Yeah. No.

7 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Right. I dont see any reason to split them up or change anyones act. Keep them as they are and oush Big E to the main event. 

Can you imagine if the final four in the Rumble were Woods, Kofi, E and Reigns?

Just a couple of points for those fantasy booking till Mania

1) As of last reports - Balor wasn't expected to be healthy yet for Mania. So I wouldn't count on any major programs for him. I mean he could pull like the Cena from last year and show up and do a move. Heck - you could probably have him win the Andre Battle Royal since he wouldn't have to do much. But yeah - doubtful he would be in a main event match

2) The plan right now (per the SITEZ~!) is Reigns/Braun

It never really made sense why the new day were shoehorned as a tag team when they couldve easily been a faction of singles wrestlers and were over as hell.  was their domination of the tag team division a way of making them appear successful while at the same time keeping them away from anything meaningful? perhaps wwe saw how over they were and did not want them daniel bryaning their way to the top. i'm just asking questions. 

They were three singles wrestlers completely lost in the shuffle before they got together - putting them together and having them doing the exact same thing they were doing before wouldn't have fixed the issue that there was nothing for them to do in their respective roles.

Well I think the argument could have been made that it should have been 2 guys as permanent tag champs, 1 guy as a singles champ while still operating as a unit which has been done plenty of times in wrestling (most recently the Shield)

They wanted to do the Freebird rules aspect of it instead which is fine (but of course has now been beaten to death since the New Day run lasted so long and they are promoting the Wyatts as such too)

New Day was certainly over enough to run that angle in the same way that Shield was, but I'm not sure that having the third man as a singles midcard champ would really have done anything to help the act - and it would take away from the midcard guys who could really benefit from holding the singles belt - imagine Miz's recent career year without the use of the IC belt, or what could have been with Rusev as US Champion if they had bothered to do anything with him.