DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

This is going to sound callous, but Paul Bearer dying was the best thing that could have happened for that match. I mean, there was just some random 4 way match to decide who was facing Taker at WM. It was pretty obvious Punk was winning anyway. The other participants were Randy Orton, Sheamus, and Big Show, who I believe ended up on job duty to The Shield.

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

So my wife came home last night with her father's ashes. They're just sitting on the coffee table. 

....and all I can think about is the fucking gold urn she put them in, hoping she's going out at some point and gives me at least one opportunity to do a Paul Bearer impersonation with them.

I'm an awful person.

I mean, I wouldn't ask tomorrow, but...

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

So my wife came home last night with her father's ashes. They're just sitting on the coffee table. 

....and all I can think about is the fucking gold urn she put them in, hoping she's going out at some point and gives me at least one opportunity to do a Paul Bearer impersonation with them.

I'm an awful person.

Tell her it's either the Paul Bearer gimmick, or the next time she makes pot roast, you're rubbing it all over your chest.

See what happens next.

• Like 2

Went to the Smackdown Live Event tonight(going head-to-head with Raw) in Wheeling, WV. Fun show, probably about 2,500 there. Miz continued his MVP run with some FANTASTIC heel mic work followed by another great match with Ziggler.

Styles beat Cena and Ambrose in the Main after a nut shot to Cena. The faces sent the fans home happy afterwards though with an AA and a Dirty Deeds to A.J. followed by Cena's traditional singing of "Country Roads" in Wheeling:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I'm an awful person.

My sympathies for your loss. I let a chuckle out about that visual I have to admit.

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You're not. I've done the Paul Bearer impression before. In fact, there's a FB picture of me clutching an urn; albeit empty. There's another one of me from the casket showroom with the light shining directly above my head, as if I'm some kind of angel of death. Not in the Josef Mengele kind of way, either.

Same to this.

9 hours ago, zev said:

@DEAN As you are mentioned in the 1001 Matches Staples as a RIOT fan, I now bring to your attention that she wrote a book.

https://aprilkl.wordpress.com/2016/09/22/starlet-chapter-one/

Also, WoW's doing tapings later this week. Riot and Caged Heat are on the ads.

In other news, Cesaro has made a decision based on this past weekend.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Contentious Statement: I can't take Corey Graves seriously as an announcer with that hair.  

It would be fine if he was still an active wrestler, but they really should tell him to grow his hair out on the sides if he's going to be a full-time announcer.

Why are you so concerned about other men's hairstyles? First omega and now this. Are you the dude yelling  "cut your hair!" at the wrestlers during live events. I never understood that.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

So when do we get numbers for the bloodbath and do y'all think it will stick? I'm reminded of something Bobby said about how after looking at the real world wrestling looks dumb and I wonder if that will resonate with whatever audience would normally watch.

Savage and Ventura were at least still "in character" when they dressed like that as announcers, Graves is just a random announcer now.  

They need to start airing vignettes where Graves is sitting in a outdoor cafe in Brooklyn and acting like the douchiest Hipster ever.  In the vignettes he should lecture the fans on how all his clothing is made from recycled cotton and the chi latte he's drinking is from locally sourced beans.

They need to air a vignette where Vince is having a meeting with arena management, and Corey bursts in and announces he's staging a sit-in protest because the arena doesn't use "low flow" toilets and thus is hurting the environment.

Eventually, because Graves can't take bumps anymore, this will lead to the return of the Great Khali as Graves' personal "Enforcer of Political Correctness" where it will be a running gag that Khali will show up and beat the shit out of whoever is offending Graves' personal sense of Hipster Right or Wrong.

Example: As Michael Cole welcomes us to Raw, Corey will interrupt and point out that Cole is drinking a soda instead of healthy water, and Khali will then show up and chokeslam Cole through the announcers table

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

I mean like chai is tea and not made from beans and also coffee can't grow in New York. I hate this fictional Corey Graves already.

And, no self-respecting "hipster" coffee shop serves chai these days. He'd have to order a cortado, maybe a flat white--god help you if you don't know the difference. If he's got a chai, it's because he got it at a starbucks, and walked it over. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

RE:Hipster gimmicks

I still believe that obnoxious moustache wearing, craft beer snob, fixed-gear bicycle riding dirt bags is the natural evolution of the Vaudevillain gimmick and the way to save them from jobber purgatory.

Plus I'm pretty sure that any actual hipster would probably already be listening to Eddie Cantor.