DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Just now, JRGoldman said:

On the brightside, while I'm getting him ice cream, he'll probably be saying some super racist shit that I'm secretly recording and can blackmail him with later. 

And somehow he'll end up making $140 million on the deal and you'll end up writing for the dailydot when your website is shut down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Brock is a special attraction. That's all he is, and that's all he should be used for. He's not a guy to book around. In a sense he's a throwback to the days of Brody and Abby. They never did jobs and never stayed around long enough to make it obvious.

That's a great point Wyld Samurai. If they had a specific storyline reason to bring out a guy like Brock he probably would be a lot more valuable for them.

• Like 1

During the Clash, the announcers were making a big point about Charlotte's ppv record. So I did some digging... She did lose in the Bayley debut tag match at Battleground, but prior to that, she won 13 consecutive ppv (or network special as they are now) appearances. Who in wrestling has a streak that can top that?

I researched some obvious candidates. Cena's best streak was 12 (Survivor Series 06 - Summer Slam 07, losing by DQ to Orton at Unforgiven 07). Punk's famous title reign only got him 10 consecutive ppv appearances with a win (Survivor Series 11 - Summer Slam 12, taking a draw against Cena at Night of Champions 12). During Goldberg's initial streak, he wasn't on every ppv, so he only got to 8 in this category (Starrcade 97 - Halloween Havoc 98, then a no-show at WW3, and a loss to Nash at Starrcade 98). Hogan never had enough ppvs to work with in his WWF run, especially with one always being the ever-treacherous Rumble for a category like this. He did run up a streak of 8 in WCW (Bash at the Beach 94 - Fall Brawl 95, before succumbing to the Giant/Yeti sandwich Halloween Havoc 95).

Charlotte might legitimately own a very impressive record.

• Like 1

"Playing With Power," huh? I see what you did there CFO$ (I'm assuming). 

They should take this further. Every time TJP beats an opponent, he should be able to perfectly execute their finisher from then on out. 

• Like 7

Seeing all the love for TJP's theme and Mega Man in general online makes me wonder how the fuck Capcom isn't able to make profit on Mega Man games in 2016, but maybe that's a question best left for the Video Game Catch-All Thread. 

But like seriously, is there anyone who doesn't like Mega Man? Sell the IP to someone who will make Mega Man games, Capcom. 

• Like 2

.What was the point of having Bayley booked in the match it wasn't structured for her to look strong at all. It was typical WWE triple threat match formula where the 3rd guy get later out dramatically too long and Bayley happened to be that guy way too often. Why not just have her face Dana instead but because if she wasn't going over it wasn't no point in her even In the match. It was OK other wise but it killed her momentum. I hope Emma comes back to TV soon because raw needs her. 

3 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

There is a lot to say about this article, but the glaring thing is everybody that said TNA was/is a bunch of enablers are dead on.

http://www.foxsports.com/wwe/story/wwe-star-kurt-angle-addiction-65-vicodin-a-day-092616

I left WWE because I couldn't get a part-time deal with them. They wanted me to continue to go full-time, and I understood that so I parted ways and went to TNA.

Even when doing a coming clean, tell all interview, Kurt's working.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I thought that was generally true though. How he got out of the contract is another matter. 

What's that?

I thought the generally accepted story was that WWE simply did not want to re-up with him at all because he was a liability (drugs + injuries + drive to keep wrestling a hard style) and didn't want another dead wrestler on their hands.  That's pretty much the opposite of "I wanted to go part time but they only wanted me full time."

4 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

What's that?

I thought the generally accepted story was that WWE simply did not want to re-up with him at all because he was a liability (drugs + injuries + drive to keep wrestling a hard style) and didn't want another dead wrestler on their hands.  That's pretty much the opposite of "I wanted to go part time but they only wanted me full time."

The way I understood it, Kurt had a long meeting with Vince where he laid bare his soul about being a physical and emotional disaster and addict, possibly even suicidal, so Vince finally released him so Angle could retire or at the very least rehab and come back down the road. Within months he was in TNA, and Vince has always had hard feelings about getting worked. Which I imagine adds to all the reasonable issues he's always had with brining Kurt back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The way I understood it, Kurt had a long meeting with Vince where he laid bare his soul about being a physical and emotional disaster and addict, possibly even suicudal, so Vince finally released him so Angle could retire or at the very least rehab and come back down the road. Within months he was in TNA, and Vince has always had hard feelings about getting worked. Which I imagine adds to all the reasonable issues he's always had with brining Kurt back.

That's a pretty good story, one I hadn't heard before.  The "injuries and drugs" thing was reported by Alvarez, as outlined in this summary of the whole situation.  He also mentioned that WWE asked Angle to go to rehab and he said no.