DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

"Why... have I hired you as a chef... when you've aten all the food. Senor Reeves, I want to eat sometimes myself. If you don't make me what I want -- and leave it on the plate -- then I might have to give you a Unique Opportunity to fight with someone who does know how to eat... eat people."

med_1431707999_image.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

"Why... have I hired you as a chef... when you've aten all the food. Senor Reeves, I want to eat sometimes myself. If you don't make me what I want -- and leave it on the plate -- then I might have to give you a Unique Opportunity to fight with someone who does know how to eat... eat people."

med_1431707999_image.jpg

I was actually thinking along the lines of Ryback being responsible for supplying Matanza with his specialized diet by murdering drifters with meathook clotheslines until one piece of transient trash turned out to be tainted meat that caused Matanza to come down with diverticulitis.

• Like 1

You can't get away with murdering drifters in the WWE, what with Ambrose being the leader of Vince McMahon's Hobo Army and looking out for his people. But in the Subterranean Lucha, that's good for at least half a season's worth of storyline.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Bret basically accuses Rollins of being reckless every chance he gets.  He cites Sting and Cena's injuries during their matches with Rollins as examples.

When it comes to the Face That Runs the Place, it's hard to argue with Bret.  It was unintentional, but he basically turned Cena's nose into a crater.

Sad to say, I take anything Bret says about other wrestlers about as seriously as I used to take his fan club president Scott Keith. Bret has zero objectivity; if he doesn't like a guy personally, they weren't a good worker. And he's constantly pushing his "anyone who ever hurt another guy in the ring is unsafe" narrative so he can pat himself on the back over how safe he was.

• Like 1

Since I am no longer on my phone I can post the tweet

PWI says it is a torn rotator cuff that he will be having surgery on. It appears it was discovered during his physical to get cleared for the WWE and he was shocked to learn he was injured

51 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Since I am no longer on my phone I can post the tweet

PWI says it is a torn rotator cuff that he will be having surgery on. It appears it was discovered during his physical to get cleared for the WWE and he was shocked to learn he was injured

God damn it. 

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Whether he likes Rollins or not, Bret isn't wrong about him injuring Cena and ending Sting's career. 

The Sting situation can be blamed on several factors.  One, whatever agent helped laid out the match has got to understand that Sting didn't need to be doing some of those crazy bumps.  Two, Sting himself needed to point-blank tell Rollins "I'll do three big bumps for you.  These are the ones I'm willing to do.  Take it or leave it." I know that goes against his personality, but Sting had to look out for himself on that.  Last, Rollins does have to bear some responsibility.  Doing one turnbuckle power bomb was bad enough.  But when you see Sting staggering around after the first one, have enough foresight not to do the second.  Make some adjustments and try to protect your opponent.  He made some errors in judgment, but Rollins isn't totally on the hook with that situation.

Cena's broken nose is 100% on him, though.  Had his knee hit just a bit differently, Cena probably would have suffered a broken orbital bone. That was careless on Rollins' part, plain and simple.

Cena leaned into that knee, too. It happens. Sting shouldn't have been taking crazy bumps like that while working two matches a year at the age of 55. Lots of guys take that bump and are okay. I think Rollins just had some bad luck there that wasn't totally on him, and it's not like he's known for being a careless or dangerous dude. 

I get why Bret is so sensitive about unsafe work, or work that appears to be unsafe; his whole career ended because someone threw a careless kick to his head, after all. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's just not trying to pump up his own record as a safe worker because in his own book, he admits to injuring Randy Savage. I think it's more being hyper-sensitive to what seemed to him to be a pattern of unsafe work from Rollins. 

With Nakamura looming on the horizon for a main roster debut, and Hideo Itami making his return to NXT, and Tajiri coming back in the CWC along with Ibushi and Tozawa in the CWC as well, it got me thinking.....when was the last time there was a Superstar on the main roster of Asian descent? Jimmy Wang Yang? Yoshi Tatsu? Beyond that, with Nakamura likely to become an eventual main event star on the main roster, when was the last time there was an upper card level Asian wrestler? I can't think of any. Yokozuna was billed as Japanese, but was Samoan. That's as close as we get, I think. Am I missing somebody somewhere?

I mean, there are/have been Indian, Mexican, Irish, Samoan, Canadian, English, and even Swiss and Bulgarian Superstars, but it seems odd to me that there hasn't been a Japanese or Asian wrestler on the roster for such a long time with that being such a big market for them.

9 hours ago, Dirty J. said:

The amount of people getting worked by McGregor is sad.

I don't think it is guys getting worked it is guys who sees stacks of stacks of cash in their bank account if they do actually have a match.  If i was a wrestler where the chances of being the top 1 or 2 matches of SummerSlam or Wrestlemania are slim to none, why the hell not

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

With Nakamura looming on the horizon for a main roster debut, and Hideo Itami making his return to NXT, and Tajiri coming back in the CWC along with Ibushi and Tozawa in the CWC as well, it got me thinking.....when was the last time there was a Superstar on the main roster of Asian descent? Jimmy Wang Yang? Yoshi Tatsu? Beyond that, with Nakamura likely to become an eventual main event star on the main roster, when was the last time there was an upper card level Asian wrestler? I can't think of any. Yokozuna was billed as Japanese, but was Samoan. That's as close as we get, I think. Am I missing somebody somewhere?

I mean, there are/have been Indian, Mexican, Irish, Samoan, Canadian, English, and even Swiss and Bulgarian Superstars, but it seems odd to me that there hasn't been a Japanese or Asian wrestler on the roster for such a long time with that being such a big market for them.

Khali?

• Like 1