DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

12 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Speaking of Trump's Cabinet, he's filling his administration with Washington insiders and industry lobbyists. And John Bolton, a neocon's neocon, is being considered for Secretary of State. I wonder how many Trump voters who thought he was going to drain the swamp and keep us out of war realize they got played.

If that's the reason people voted for Trump, then they will be too dumb to realize they got played. And if they do realize, they will just shrug their shoulders and continue to vote the same way they always have.  If I learned anything from this election cycle, it is that partisan lines are stronger than just about anything. Trumps quip about shooting someone in broad daylight in the middle of fifth avenue and keeping his voters is not that far from the truth. 

• Like 4

There are going to be thinkpieces and  arguments forever about how he got the voters behind him, but I think it's simply that there are a lot of people in this country that are justifiably or not angry. They didn't care about him or what he stood for. They just responded to the idea of the government being weaponized (even more) against the marginilized because it satisfied aggressive urges. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

CNN has a story up how the transition team is already fractured and are fighting over every cabinet appointment

EX: conservative GOP want John Bolton as Secretary of State. Trump and company want Rudy

tumblr_nkr8qtg0XA1rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

Jae was moved out of PICU today. Which is good both because, you know, not in intensive care, but also because it means he can start meeting with pysch now.

All told, it looks like he definitely avoided serious damage, so clearly this could have been a lot worse. 

Everyone thank you for caring. This board is my place to vent and I've never felt more helpless than I did yesterday afternoon knowing this was all happening 1200 miles away from me. I can't even begin to imagine what my sister and brother-in-law went through, and trying to put on a brave face yesterday while driving to the hospital so not too terrify their two youngest boys (one is seven, the other is ten but autistic, so letting him realize how scared they were is something they just can't do, because there is no way he could deal with it.)

• Like 12

Canada is doing a pretty shitty job keeping it's end up so far. $3.3 billion subsidies a year from the feds and provincial governments to fossil fuels and recently approving an LNG pipeline last month that pretty much makes it impossible for British Columbia to meet its quotas. Thankfully it doesn't make sense for the Malaysian company to invest because of natural gas' shitty market price and oversaturation due to American projects. I'm still incredibly worried about Trump's climate beliefs. Climate experts are saying staying under the 2 degree Celsius goal is going to be nigh impossible without the work of the United States, plus they were supposed to help smaller countries transition to renewables. 

39 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

My personal worry is that the wackos in Congress will repeal Obamacare, Medicare/caid and Social security. I know I'm somewhat paranoid, but. . . .

Keep the "pre-existing conditions" rule, yes, but get rid of the rest of the damn Obamacare thing.  After I changed jobs in October 2015, and wouldn't qualify for health insurance at my new company for the first six months, I ended up paying $150 a month for a shitty Obamacare plan that left me with $2000 in bills after I was hospitalized with Pneumonia.

When Obama said we were all getting health insurance, I thought he meant it would be like Canada or England where all private insurers would be put out of business and, yes, we would have high taxes, but EVERYONE would have 100% health insurance.

Not this awful mix of private insurnace and expanded Medicare/caid.  And Obama didn't even raise taxes to pay for the increase in Medicare/caid so we're just pissing away even more money that the government doesn't have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerome Miller said:

Keep the "pre-existing conditions" rule, yes, but get rid of the rest of the damn Obamacare thing.  After I changed jobs in October 2015, and wouldn't qualify for health insurance at my new company for the first six months, I ended up paying $150 a month for a shitty Obamacare plan that left me with $2000 in bills after I was hospitalized with Pneumonia.

When Obama said we were all getting health insurance, I thought he meant it would be like Canada or England where all private insurers would be put out of business and, yes, we would have high taxes, but EVERYONE would have 100% health insurance.

Not this awful mix of private insurnace and expanded Medicare/caid.  And Obama didn't even raise taxes to pay for the increase in Medicare/caid so we're just pissing away even more money that the government doesn't have.

To be fair, Obama proposed raising taxes quite a bit, but since Congress was Republican, he didn't always get the budget passed his way because Congress has been mostly going down the party lines since 2010 and his ideas for tax increases were different than the way the Republicans wanted to do it. Its Congress that approves the budget, so its a bit of a stretch to lay that just on Obama. Trump may have more luck with whatever his plan is since at least he has Congress, although we'll see what he comes up with. 

At least Obamacare is better than Cobra, I'll never forget the first time I opened some mail from Cobra, my jaw probably hit the ground. But I don't have and never intend to use Obamacare so I don't have a horse in that race one way or the other. But the country will never do something as radical as what Canada or England does, it is just too big of a change, the nation would revolt if taxes went up enough to support that. People get mad if gas goes up 10 cents.

As mentioned several days back, you can't keep the pre-existing conditions coverage without the mandate. You can't keep the mandate without the subsidies and Medicaid expansion. You can't keep those without spending public funds.  It's a four legged stool that will collapse without all four.

Well, Paul Ryan's always wanted to gut and/or kill Medicare and Social Security, Trump is likely open to it, so um, I hope my father's happy when that goes all FUBAR. It would all but guarantee a Democratic rush in 2018 though if it happened before then. Old people do not like those two things fucked with, anything else, they don't really care unless it affects them and those by and large do.

Yeah you cannot just kill Obamacare but keep certain aspects of it. You have to replace it and as far as I know they do not have a plan. "We're gonna do savings accounts" is not a plan. I guess they can kick 20 million people off insurance without a plan but I have a feeling that will not go over well.

This will take time. They may not actually ever kill it. Do they want to OWN healthcare? I'm not sure they do.

9 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I now feel like when Trump said he was going to drain the swamp, he literally meant, he was going to a bunch of swamps and drain them.  You know.  To kill the eco system.  Because fuck nature.

I think he meant he would drain the whole swamp, put it through a colander so he could keep the really gross detritus, and then funnel that ultra-concentrated swamp shit into his cabinet.

Kind of makes one hope it forms into Swamp Thing who forces himself to be the head of the EPA. Man-Thing lurks in the background waiting to be Secretary of Defense.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ryan said:

Well, Paul Ryan's always wanted to gut and/or kill Medicare and Social Security, Trump is likely open to it, so um, I hope my father's happy when that goes all FUBAR. It would all but guarantee a Democratic rush in 2018 though if it happened before then. Old people do not like those two things fucked with, anything else, they don't really care unless it affects them and those by and large do.

Not convinced. Not when the typical voter mindset regarding Congress is "THROW THE RASCALS OUT!!!! ...except my guy, he does ok." That's how you keep getting fossils like McConnell and McCain years and years after their shelf life has expired.

On 11/14/2016 at 0:57 PM, Brian Fowler said:

My older sister's oldest child was flown from Longmont to Denver by helicopter after attempting suicide and I'm just

I don't have words right now

Your family is in my prayers, Brian. :( 

I'm glad to hear that the physical stuff is okay but yeah, figuring out why your nephew made the attempt in the first place is the most important thing to do.

And shouts out to JL.  Hang in there, girl.

Everyone pour one out for your boy, JT.  I'm going on graveyard shift starting the Saturday night / Sunday morning after Thanksgiving and I'll be on that shift until December 9th.

That's about two weeks.  The overtime loot will come in handy for the holidays, but it won't do my aging body clock any favors.

I woke up this morning to a technological user's worst nightmare: all my google accounts were disabled. All my email accounts go through gmail now so that is the main point of issue. I emailed gmail, they said my IT admin had disabled all gmail accounts. Well I'm the only admin, so I filled out a different form and they said they'd get back to me within three days. I wasn't even awake when it happened so I have no idea how everything got disabled.

It sounds silly but the thought of three days without email (or longer) is already driving me crazy, both my websites email is through gmail amongst other things. I've had the same email address for ten plus years, so while I can create a new one, it would be a hassle to remember everyone's emails and start over. So right now I am just waiting but I'll have to at least create some new website email accounts by tomorrow morning since I do have a business to take care of.

I guess the lesson here is not to have everything under one umbrella, be it Google or Apple. Just a hassle I didn't feel like dealing with.