DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

The Republicans own ALL of this. This may very well be the "shit, we lost the plans to the Death Star to a band of rebels and an R2 unit" moment for the party. This is going to be a colossal farce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cubbymark said:

And now Trump is said to want top level security clearance for hia kids and son-in-law. If they get it, Hillary's email scandal is going to look like small potatoes by comparison.

And his good friend Mr. nutip. 

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Fuck, now I'm reading stories about how Trump's transition team had no plan at all (the Christie demotion was because nobody expected to win and thus nobody really thought they needed Christie for the job) and that Trump has no idea about hiring staff and other presidential duties he'll be taking over very soon.  He's apparently going to rely on Obama for a lot of help with ramp-up.  Seriously, what the everloving fuck?

Is it too late for him to just say, "yeah, you know what?  No thanks, I'm good."

This has all the makings of a future TV movie. Like, Obama agrees to give some extra help with the transition so Trump can hit the ground running, but really he's there to teach Trump empathy and try to fix his black heart. Eventually, by the swearing in, or whatever, all the brietbart trolls will be like "build the wall!" and Trump will be all "Originally I was going to build the wall, but then my good friend Barry taught me it is better to love. The best."

• Like 3

CNN has a story up how the transition team is already fractured and are fighting over every cabinet appointment

EX: conservative GOP want John Bolton as Secretary of State. Trump and company want Rudy

Bolton would be about the worst choice possible, Rudy isn't exactly much better, but Bolton is overtly Islamophobic and full of tons of hatred. He's linked to hate groups straight up. If what Pam Geller represents isn't a hate group, I don't know what one is.

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Fuck, now I'm reading stories about how Trump's transition team had no plan at all (the Christie demotion was because nobody expected to win and thus nobody really thought they needed Christie for the job) and that Trump has no idea about hiring staff and other presidential duties he'll be taking over very soon.  He's apparently going to rely on Obama for a lot of help with ramp-up.  Seriously, what the everloving fuck?

Is it too late for him to just say, "yeah, you know what?  No thanks, I'm good."

You mean run the country as the unofficial president? Because it sure feels like Trump is expecting Obama to leave the training wheels on the White House.

Well, they are already planning on staying in DC for the next two years until their younger daughter graduates high school anyway, so him popping over to the White House a couple times a month or whatever honestly isn't that far-fetched.

And Jesus how much grace and class (and real patriotism) does Obama have? To already have apparently agreed to do significantly more work on the transition than the sitting president ever does with a man that spent most of the last decade constantly insulting Obama and questioning his legitimacy? How tempting must it have been the other day to throw up two middle fingers and tell Trump "go fuck yourself" while leaving him to flounder along with no idea what he is doing.

Hell, Trump should be setting up meetings with W. and President Clinton if either of them are equally willing. Even Bush at least knew he needed a policy arm and such, even if he did let the political arm control the policy side way too much.

----------

Jae got into the hospital early enough that the specific medicine they use with a Tylenol overdose was able to be effective, and the doctors are confident there will be limited liver damage at the worst. So now I guess it's the mental side of why the attempt. 

• Like 7

On the one hand it's kind of sad that Obama won't get any credit from the right for working so hard at making the transition work in the face of someone being so unprepared to lead and showing no signs of becoming moderate. Conservative media is spinning this into stories of him setting up a satellite government so he never leaves. 

On the other hand, he expanded the Executive branch's power with a completely unchecked national security regime and is now handing it over to someone who will almost certainly abuse it. If things go the way they appear, that'll be his legacy. 

RE: CNN's article about Trump's cabinet being fractured.

I would posit that perhaps the same media outlets who were wrong about nearly everything leading up to the election, possibly shouldn't be fully trusted to factually report the inner workings of a presidency that they swore up and down would never happen.

Honestly, Trump looked shook after his meeting with Obama.  What was supposed to go 15 minutes went 90 instead.  As Dave Chappelle put it, Obama son'd the hell out of Donald.

And if they need someone to slap around Trump, Biden is right there.

Glad to here about the physical news on your nephew, Brian.

1 minute ago, Fallacy! said:

RE: CNN's article about Trump's cabinet being fractured.

I would posit that perhaps the same media outlets who were wrong about nearly everything leading up to the election, possibly shouldn't be fully trusted to factually report the inner workings of a presidency that they swore up and down would never happen.

They were wrong in so much as the polls were wrong (after statewide polls had been very accurate the previous few elections) and even then the national polls were only off by about two points.

Their sources in the campaign seemed just fine.

Speaking of Trump's Cabinet, he's filling his administration with Washington insiders and industry lobbyists. And John Bolton, a neocon's neocon, is being considered for Secretary of State. I wonder how many Trump voters who thought he was going to drain the swamp and keep us out of war realize they got played.

Cutting taxes like a madman while spending like crazy on military and infrastructure build-up, I swear I've seen this somewhere before...  I know the deficit doesn't mean much of anything, but isn't that one of those things Republicans care about in theory? (Remembers long period of time) Never mind... fuck that noise.

--------------------------------------------

On a more important topic, I'm glad Brian's nephew is doing better on the physical side, I hope he can be helped out. Mental Illnesses fucking suck. All of them.

11 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

Speaking of Trump's Cabinet, he's filling his administration with Washington insiders and industry lobbyists. And John Bolton, a neocon's neocon, is being considered for Secretary of State. I wonder how many Trump voters who thought he was going to drain the swamp and keep us out of war realize they got played.

Well, Obama did much the same--he was all "change" and then, bam!, a very Clinton-esqure White House.