DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

Sorry in advance if this is to whiny, but I need to try to vent. The whole election has thrown my depression(and I'm on meds that usually work pretty good) from a 2 or a 3(I would qualify it as yes I am in pain, but I am used to it) to a 7 or 8, with at least two panic attacks(or meltdowns, I don't know how to qualify them). Nothing has yet changed, but I just have a ton  of fear of the GOP fucking up this country beyond repair. I don't have much of a social or spiritual life, and I am only close to my mom(who needs obamacare), and my brothers and his young sons.  I'm pretty nihilistic right now, and have a lot of trouble having hope. I am seeing a counselor(free at ISU), so I'm not doing nothing, I'm ust really, really scared right now. Apologies to those of you who have real problems. . . 

7 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Sorry in advance if this is to whiny, but I need to try to vent. The whole election has thrown my depression(and I'm on meds that usually work pretty good) from a 2 or a 3(I would qualify it as yes I am in pain, but I am used to it) to a 7 or 8, with at least two panic attacks(or meltdowns, I don't know how to qualify them). Nothing has yet changed, but I just have a ton  of fear of the GOP fucking up this country beyond repair. I don't have much of a social or spiritual life, and I am only close to my mom(who needs obamacare), and my brothers and his young sons.  I'm pretty nihilistic right now, and have a lot of trouble having hope. I am seeing a counselor(free at ISU), so I'm not doing nothing, I'm ust really, really scared right now. Apologies to those of you who have real problems. . . 

My wife has a medication that normally helps with depression as well.  It's rare, but there's been a moment where her anxiety kicks in hard and she'll have a meltdown.  She asked her doctor about the dosage and what he recommended to her was to get a pill cutter and take a half dose at night.  I'm not saying that would work for you, but next time you go to the doctor at least bring it up and see what he/she says.

But either way it sucks that last week is making you feel this way.  I'm not having panic attacks like you are, but there's fear and anger about the whole thing.  It's just emotionally draining, and while I still read up on what's going on it's hard for me to talk about it without a feeling of "Fuck this country."

No need to apologize Kuestar, mental health is a very real problem. I've been experiencing very increased anxiety in the past week as well and it is very hard to deal with and so has my wife. We've talked about seeking mental health care but there are limited resources where we live and from what we've been told what is there is not very good either. So we would have to search out of the area (or go very far out of the area (5 ish hour drive one way) to where we do know where there is quality mental health care). You're definitely not the only one and you're doing things to help. I hope things start looking up for you, me and all of us who are in this situation right now

• Like 2

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

Don't fall into the trap of acting like mental issues aren't "real problems" please. Don't dismiss your own pain. 

I also happen to have extremely low self esteem,. and have a REALLY hard time meeting people, so that bleeds over too.  . . .

5 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Lean on the people who care about you, keep going to therapy and come here to vent whenever you need it.  This world will keep putting up obstacles, and somehow we have to keep jumping them.  We're rooting for you dude, keep your head up and know that you aren't alone.

• Like 5

I'm sorta in your camp Kuetsar. I feel your pain. The only thing I can say is that I started see a therapist again this week, I see another the week after Thanksgiving, and I started on Klonopin this week. The Klonopin has helped.

• Like 3

And I'm also scared. The Klonopin has, I think, helped me think a bit more rationally. On election night, I probably had about 3 or 4 panic attacks. The last panic attack I had before that was with Fukushima when I thought the world was ending. The one before that was on 9/11 when I thought the world was ending. Nothing scares me more than nuclear weapons/nuclear war and the first thing I jumped to was that Trump would get us into a world ending war in his first year and we wouldn't even make it to midterms. I'd see others fear the same or even joke about it and it was like my fears were legitimized. But confirmation bias isn't legitimate and thinking clearly when you're spiraling out is the hardest thing you can possibly do. Put it this way. I was raised Catholic, lapsed, and figured I was an atheist. I started praying again in the last 2 weeks. Praying to what or who, I don't know. But that's where I was.

Like I keep saying, I'm hoping for the best and preparing for a worst that at least still allows us to vote in 2018 and again in 2020. I'm also hoping that for you and anyone else with these struggles, that you can find some peace of mind. I understand you're scared and while what you're scared of may not be rational or legitimate, the feeling definitely is and the feeling makes it seem like the worst is real. 

If it helps, you're not alone and you have people here who, while we may not know you if we passed you on the street, we still care about you. My heart goes out to you, just like it goes out to Brian and the shit he's going through, and anyone else who is dealing with some real shit lately. Let's hope for some peace of mind.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sin Carne said:

A bunch of people got deactivated for selling their Pixels. Not saying this is that, but if it is then you're probably not getting your accounts back.

Luckily not in my case, Google just called me and got me to add a CNAME to the domain to prove it is mine. He didn't know why it got disabled but said he'd look into it. So I am now waiting for the next step, whatever that may be. It seems the issue is that I had a business account with them and then all my personal emails under that business account, so when the business account got disabled it just disabled everything.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Luckily not in my case, Google just called me and got me to add a CNAME to the domain to prove it is mine. He didn't know why it got disabled but said he'd look into it. So I am now waiting for the next step, whatever that may be. It seems the issue is that I had a business account with them and then all my personal emails under that business account, so when the business account got disabled it just disabled everything.

Jesus. Is this just your DNS or is it hosting, too? 

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Jesus. Is this just your DNS or is it hosting, too? 

So basically, a few months ago through gmail I got the email address [email protected], with joshicity.com being my domain. To do that, I just logged into Godaddy through gmail and they changed the MX records/took care of the back-end. Simple enough, and that automatically made all my emails a "business account" since I now had my primary email through my domain name. So my hosting has been fine, but since google already knew I had the domain, I guess the easiest way to prove that I was who I said I was was to make a CNAME at their request that they could verify. But that is why I lost all my email, google drive, google hangouts, etc. as they were all under the Gmail App umbrella under my joshicity.com business account.

I got access back a few hours after the phone call, the annoying part is they again said they don't know why it got disabled. The guy I talked to said he didn't have access to it due to privacy/security reasons but that it was likely due to suspicious behavior. So I may go ahead and just ditch the @joshicity.com email and go back to being a regular gmail user, as if they weren't all under the business umbrella I wouldn't have lost everything.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So basically, a few months ago through gmail I got the email address [email protected], with joshicity.com being my domain. To do that, I just logged into Godaddy through gmail and they changed the MX records/took care of the back-end. Simple enough, and that automatically made all my emails a "business account" since I now had my primary email through my domain name. So my hosting has been fine, but since google already knew I had the domain, I guess the easiest way to prove that I was who I said I was was to make a CNAME at their request that they could verify. But that is why I lost all my email, google drive, google hangouts, etc. as they were all under the Gmail App umbrella under my joshicity.com business account.

I got access back a few hours after the phone call, the annoying part is they again said they don't know why it got disabled. The guy I talked to said he didn't have access to it due to privacy/security reasons but that it was likely due to suspicious behavior. So I may go ahead and just ditch the @joshicity.com email and go back to being a regular gmail user, as if they weren't all under the business umbrella I wouldn't have lost everything.

God damn that sucks.  My company is currently going more toward the public cloud and horror stories like this make me want to just say "fuck all that."

Speaking of shitty things, I am trying to figure out if I concussed myself the other day. I passed out for no good reason I can determine, and hit my head on my desk. Once I woke up, there was a fair amount of blood everywhere as I hit my nose on something, and I had a big mark on the side of my head. Plus a cut lip among other things. I am not as concerned about the nose, it could be broken but if so its a minor break as I can still breathe out of it, but I don't know if I did something to my brain. Since then I haven't been able to sleep more than four hours at a time, and twice I have spaced out at my computer and lost several hours. Like I glance down at the time and its much later than it was the last time I looked at it, but I have no memory of doing anything during that time.

But I am not sensitive to light and I have still been functional at work, and don't have a headache, so maybe I just knocked myself a bit loopy. This happened the same morning as my email issue so it was a rough day.

One of the things that was weird about the US election was the way how, for a generation every Presidential candidate was defined by the Vietnam question. And that only went away because Obama was too young... but Trump is the exact same age as Bill Clinton and George W Bush. But suddenly it was a complete non-issue for some reason.

Can anyone actually give us an estimated date on which America originally became great, and a date on which it stopped being great, neccessitating someone to make it great again? Because there's only 524 years of history to consider as a time frame (assuming you pretend nothing happened there before Columbus, which isn't true, but it's like why the history of the Royal family usually starts with the Norman conquest, even though there were Kings in England for Centuries before there was an England).

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

One of the things that was weird about the US election was the way how, for a generation every Presidential candidate was defined by the Vietnam question. And that only went away because Obama was too young... but Trump is the exact same age as Bill Clinton and George W Bush. But suddenly it was a complete non-issue for some reason.

Can anyone actually give us an estimated date on which America originally became great, and a date on which it stopped being great, neccessitating someone to make it great again? Because there's only 524 years of history to consider as a time frame (assuming you pretend nothing happened there before Columbus, which isn't true, but it's like why the history of the Royal family usually starts with the Norman conquest, even though there were Kings in England for Centuries before there was an England).

I'm black, I've seen no evidence of greatness.

• Like 7

If he took "Again" off of that shitty catchphrase then I wouldn't hate it as much as I do.  America has never been great.  Maybe the only time it truly was was before people inhabited the country.  After that you had American Indians who did great things but also would try and kill other tribes if needed.  Then the Columbus thing which annoys me that we have a statue near me for him (stupid, stupid piece of shit he was)

But to make America great again it has to be great in the first place.  Maybe a more realistic slogan could be "Make America not as shitty!" or something along those lines.  But we are talking about a guy who's idea of a great America is when certain people weren't allowed at the lunch counter and women were in the kitchen like a "good little wife"  What a rotten, rotten cocksplat he is.

Oh, and off-topic, but especially this past week I feel most comfortable conversing with you all here.  Some of my Facebook friends are driving me nuts and it's nice to discuss things without going insane.  Thanks, all.

• Like 1