DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

On 28 November 2016 at 10:50 AM, BrianS81177 said:

Made it through the first thanksgiving without my dad. It really didn't sink in too much because I had to go to work right after dinner (stupid black friday midnight sale bullshit) and worked a full week's worth of hours over the 3 day weekend, so that helped a little. It was a little harder on my mom and sister, because they weren't as busy as I was but they're handling it ok. I think we've all moved past the point of "so sad you immediately tear up" and are more in the "sad, but still able to function" realm. I'm pretty sure Christmas is gonna be hard on us though. Thanksgiving was never that big a deal to us, but Christmas was.

Losing a parent is the fucking worst.  My best wishes to you all. This month is hard for me as it's my Mum's birthday and Christmas. My birthday this year was really tough as it was the same date as Mother's Day in the UK.

On 28 November 2016 at 2:17 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

When my wife's dad passed a couple years ago every holiday was rough for them the first year or so.  Even if the other days were relatively fine, the first Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year/etc. without him led to somber moments for sure (New Years was especially rough when she heard his favorite song at a restaurant)  It does get better over time, but it's sure to be a rough one.  Best wishes to you all.

Best wishes to you also.

Ditto for JT and Tabe.

On 30 November 2016 at 8:31 PM, Craig H said:

My girlfriend was in a head-on collision yesterday. She's hurting, but ok. The car is totaled. Actually, I'm sure both cars are totaled. The other driver had to be at fault. My girlfriend was traveling through a green light and the driver across from her didn't wait to turn left and turned right into my girlfriend's car. So we got that going for us...

Jesus. Glad your girlfriend is okay and hope she's better ASAP.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

Is that common public knowledge? Also, yes it means you shouldn't take the call if you value diplomatic relations with the biggest country on Earth.

in Donald Trump's mind, the only "biggest country on Earth" is America.

I'm doing much better. The panic/anxiety attacks have stopped, and I'm starting to eat again. Went to Healthwest(a low cost clinic) Monday before Thanksgiving when I was still cratering, and all the DR did was change my wellbutrin(generic) to a different length of dose, not size. It worked a little, though I think it was the placebo effect. Went to the free clinic with my usually PA, and she said the change wouldn't have done anything, and since the changed scrip was more expensive, I went back to my old.one. She did give me some anti anxiety meds to take daily, and they seem to work okay. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Casey said:

in Donald Trump's mind, the only "biggest country on Earth" is America.

True, we may outweigh them at this point even with 4-5x our populace.

• Like 2

It's really sad that places like Breitbart and r/The_Donald on Reddit promotes the existence of a scandal like Pizzagate that pushes already delusional people to pick up a gun and "go investigate it themselves". In fact, that entire subreddit devoted to Donald Trump is pretty disgusting.

Reddit is a bastion of free speech! They can't stop The_Donald group. Fuck that, send the pricks to 8chan. Ban the whole lot of them. Little will change for the worse.

Well, in a vacuum, I guess he's not wrong, but as um, Newt Gingrich, it seems very odd. Even with the other two tweets to give it slightly more context, it's still an odd thing to post since it doesn't change the meaning of what he said.

I assume the Japanese PM will post on twitter about the tactical genius of the US bombing Hiroshima on the next anniversary?

Fuck Newt.

Not really related, but, growing up, my next door neighbor, Mr. Ockart (possibly spelled wrong, my apologies) was a survivor of Pearl Harbor. He was blinded in the explosions (mostly, he could make out some light and shapes, but legally blind) and he was the nicest man. Would work for hours in his garden, tapping ahead with his cane, and always had time to just be friendly to the little kids who lived next door.

He told me about the attack one day, but I was too young to really understand or be able to remember much of the details of what he said. You know how sometimes something you knew when you were little, you don't really remember what they said or did, just how they would make you feel? He always made me and my sister feel welcome. He gave my mom cuttings from his garden to plant in our yard. He was just nice.

He died several years back, but he is what I think about on Dec 7th. The day lives in infamy, but it makes me think of him and I feel good.

• Like 5

So yeah, Newt.  If you hadn't checked your DoD calendar lately, 8th Army and Japanese SDF is training together right at this exact fucking minute..

Little thing called Yama Sakura 71.  I oughta know since i am working the sim side of the exercise.

Let's not go around pissing off the peeps that are our allies now, okay?  There were a lot of awkward conversations today about that stupid tweet.... from fucking colonels....

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

Well, in a vacuum, I guess he's not wrong, but as um, Newt Gingrich, it seems very odd.

Newt is fucking stupid, bro.  US PACOM depends heavily on SK and Japanese support to keep the NKs in check and with the Chinese more confrontational than ever, we kinda sorta need all the friends we can get in the Pacific theater.

This bullshit does our national security posture no favors whatsoever.

I think he just wants attention to distract folks so he can slink away in the night for an orgy with Rick Santorum and a Real Doll he had made of himself he named Billy.

• Like 1