DVDVR Message Board

Life Events Thread

Ryan

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Ooh, linky? 

Watching Univision 23 (Miami) while I'm down in South Florida and Little Havana is partying like it's 1959.

Here you go, its the same guy who blamed women "not giving it up" as the cause for Elliot Rodgers mass shooting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3432531/Pictured-pick-artist-center-international-pro-rape-storm-t-shirt-shorts-door-mother-s-home-lives-basement.html

16 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

My dog bit my 14 month old in the face, doing some damage and causing her to get a stitch in four puncture marks.

Dog is 8 or 9 and sadly we have to get rid of her. Had her for six years, kind of bummed but we got lucky this time. The one bite was two inches from her eye.

If it helps at all, pretty much this exact same thing happened to my younger brother when we were kids when he tried to give the family dog a hug (bite right next to the eye and everything) and he turned out fantastic long-term.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

If it helps at all, pretty much this exact same thing happened to my younger brother when we were kids when he tried to give the family dog a hug (bite right next to the eye and everything) and he turned out fantastic long-term.

Besides some bruising and the stitches I don't think it will be any long term damage. My five year old is taking it like a trooper and thanks to Zootopia she understands that the dog "went savage" and has to move to a home without small children.

Made it through the first thanksgiving without my dad. It really didn't sink in too much because I had to go to work right after dinner (stupid black friday midnight sale bullshit) and worked a full week's worth of hours over the 3 day weekend, so that helped a little. It was a little harder on my mom and sister, because they weren't as busy as I was but they're handling it ok. I think we've all moved past the point of "so sad you immediately tear up" and are more in the "sad, but still able to function" realm. I'm pretty sure Christmas is gonna be hard on us though. Thanksgiving was never that big a deal to us, but Christmas was. 

3 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Made it through the first thanksgiving without my dad. It really didn't sink in too much because I had to go to work right after dinner (stupid black friday midnight sale bullshit) and worked a full week's worth of hours over the 3 day weekend, so that helped a little. It was a little harder on my mom and sister, because they weren't as busy as I was but they're handling it ok. I think we've all moved past the point of "so sad you immediately tear up" and are more in the "sad, but still able to function" realm. I'm pretty sure Christmas is gonna be hard on us though. Thanksgiving was never that big a deal to us, but Christmas was. 

When my wife's dad passed a couple years ago every holiday was rough for them the first year or so.  Even if the other days were relatively fine, the first Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year/etc. without him led to somber moments for sure (New Years was especially rough when she heard his favorite song at a restaurant)  It does get better over time, but it's sure to be a rough one.  Best wishes to you all.

Dog woke me up around 4:30 or so this morning.  I rubbed my eyes to help wake up and, all of a sudden, my left eye felt like it was on fire.  It felt like I had something in there that wouldn't come out.  Worked on it awhile, flushed it, and so on.  No joy.  Went back to bed, hoping it would feel better after sleeping some more.  No joy.  Another 30-40 minutes of working on it.  No joy.  Decided to go to urgent care, called in sick from work and called my mom (man, it's nice having her live 3 minutes away now instead of 2000 miles!) to give me a ride.  Got seen right away and they had me do an eyesight test.  I covered one eye to test my bad (left) one.  Nurse asked me to read the 7th row.  I started laughing - couldn't even read the TOP row.  Got checked out by the doctor who did some black light testing.

Diagnosis?  I have a scratched eyeball.  Bad news is that I still have discomfort and cloudy vision though I can read for short durations (maybe not enough to work yet).  Good news is that it's not a serious scratch and should fully heal in a day or two.  Just have to use some antibiotic goop on my eye that gives me green poop.  Lovely.

At least you can read with the one eye when need be. You probably had something on your finger as small as a piece of dirt or your finger nail itself is enough to do that. Unless it was some cruel trick by your dog. Plotting for months.

• Like 1

Sad to see so many folks going through rough patches lately. I hope that everyone is doing better.

Things have been a bit stressful for me too lately.  My very significant other's son was in a car accident last week (he's fine) and her 2006 Toyota Corolla was totaled.

As of Sunday, she's now the somewhat proud owner of a 2016 Nissan Rogue.  She's been going on and on about a new vehicle for a while now and now that she's got one, it is setting in that we've got yet another expense aka her auto loan payment and that has thrown a bit of a wet blanket on what should be a pretty festive occasion.

I'm happy that she has a vehicle she can rely on, but all she can think about is that she has yet another thing to budget for. 

My girlfriend was in a head-on collision yesterday. She's hurting, but ok. The car is totaled. Actually, I'm sure both cars are totaled. The other driver had to be at fault. My girlfriend was traveling through a green light and the driver across from her didn't wait to turn left and turned right into my girlfriend's car. So we got that going for us...

Thankfully, she's okay Craig. That's all that really matters. Hopefully whatever you have covers things. Now, back to talk of Chief Wahoo's Misophonia about Jewish women and Pakistanis.

When reading Jerome's post about Misophonia i thought initially it was a cover-up for something else.  Quick Google search shows it's a real thing, certain sounds do attribute to that.  So if that's a real thing then that sounds like a pretty bad way to go through life.

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

When reading Jerome's post about Misophonia i thought initially it was a cover-up for something else.  Quick Google search shows it's a real thing, certain sounds do attribute to that.  So if that's a real thing then that sounds like a pretty bad way to go through life.

My wife has a slight case of this, with her it's just the sound of people chewing food.  The more tired she is, the more sensitive she becomes to it.  So if we're watching tv late at night, there is no chewing while fast forwarding through commercials and no crunchy snacks.

What is that effect where you see a word or phrase that's new to you and then all of a sudden you see that same word or phrase in multiple places?

I had that yesterday with Misophonia. I saw the post on here. Then throughout the day I probably saw that word in a few other places.

It's not very well catalogued or studied pyschiatrically/scientifically, but it seems to be a real thing. My friend gets it bad if you're smacking your lips when your chewing to the point she'd have to leave the room. Other things trigger it too. No one's really sure how to classify it.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

What is that effect where you see a word or phrase that's new to you and then all of a sudden you see that same word or phrase in multiple places?

I had that yesterday with Misophonia. I saw the post on here. Then throughout the day I probably saw that word in a few other places.

I think you're looking for the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. Or recency bias.

Yeah, that's what he's thinking of. When I first heard of the worst misogyny used regarding Eminem about 16 years ago or so I saw and heard the world all over the place seemingly for a few weeks. Not in regards to him, just general use.

31 minutes ago, piranesi said:

How many people had negative 47 days in the pool on how long it would take President Trump to get us into an apocalyptic scenario?

Maybe he's trying to piss them of so they build a wall that they cannot afford or maintain...

Is that common public knowledge? Also, yes it means you shouldn't take the call if you value diplomatic relations with the biggest country on Earth.