DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Speaking of Larry Z quotes, I remember during the Wrath/Mortis vs. Faces of Fear match at Fall Brawl 1997, he paraphrased Gilbert & Sullivan's line, "Darwinian man, no matter how well behaved, is merely a gorilla well shaved." One of the most random things ever. Up there with Davy Boy yelling, "Because I'm BIZZZAAAARRREE" when asked why he thought he was going to win the Royal Rumble one year.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Peck said:

Yeah, they will be doing House Shows head-to-head with live Raws. Doesn't make sense for Smackdown to run Saturday/Sunday/Do nothing Monday/Live Show Tuesday.

On a side note, BOTH Cena and Orton are advertised for my town's Smackdown House Show in late-September. Cena's being a special announcement on the arena's website today.

Easy Smackdown runs Live Show Tuesday, House shows Wednesday-Saturday. Sunday/Monday off. Raw runs Thursday-Sunday with Live Show Monday.

They don't like to give up Sunday house shows due to them being generally better than a Wednesday

And the reason is they don't want to give them Mondays off is since they pay for airfare - they dont want to have to pay folks to fly home for one day and then fly them back.

And the alternative is they are stuck in a city for an extra day which means the Smackdown crew is away from home 6 of the 7 days a week which would cause a revolt

If you combine Charlottes reigns as Diva and Women's champion she held a championship for 309 continuous days beating Nikki's record by 8 days. Wonder if they will ever mention that on TV.

On 7/26/2016 at 5:15 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:

.. except Sting.  Sting cared a lot.  He cared till it hurt (ok, that was probably 'cause Luger waffled him with a chair while his back was turned, but still...)

...because Sting cared a lot

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

New world odor and human game of chess were the big ones in the Larry Zybysko drinking game.

"The New World Order is in disarray" and "The Powers To Be" were the two that stood out to me.

• Like 2

New World Odor fired little boy me up like nobody's business. I was probably the only kid in the country waiting for Scott Hall to kick his ass. Such a trip to see them years later shooting video of themselves hanging out and watching matches. I'm super glad Larry got the HOF nod finally.

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

...I'm afraid to ask, but what did you hope it meant?

That someone wrote a book about the World's Strongest Man traveling through small, New England towns, solving supernatural-themed mysteries while writing tawdry romance novels, like some sort of ass-kicking Angela Lansbury.

I was a little drunk when I read Kafkonia's post.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, kafkonia said:

6855471.jpg

Found the paperback of that book last year at DOllar General. Still haven't read it.But then just found out that the Phantom of the Movies,of Videoscope fame,real name is Joe Kane. Which is also the name of one of the best indy vets in LA. 

13 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Has anyone read SI's "Definitive 101 Greatest Wrestlers of All Time "?

101: The Miz. 

I stopped right there. 

World Champ, 2 US Titles, 5 IC Titles, 6 Tag Titles, 1 MitB, #1 in the '11 PWI 500.  

An absolutely solid heel, who is very competent in the ring.  Is easily Top 5 for promos in wrestling today.  Can draw nuclear heat by wearing a god damn infinity scarf and hood.  

I'm not going to have you list 101 people ahead of him, but don't be daft. The Miz absolutely one of the best guys in wrestling today and is absolutely deserving of that spot.  If anything, he deserves to be higher.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, MADCAP said:

Has anyone read SI's "Definitive 101 Greatest Wrestlers of All Time "?

101: The Miz. 

I stopped right there. 

That's a shame.  You missed out on the author thinking Kenta Kobashi and Hideo Itami were the same person.