DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

Lots of people underestimating Enzo in here.  Saying he needs to stop wrestling and just be a manager is silly.  Coupla hatas...

I like Enzo a lot, but he's somewhat injury-prone and takes bad spills on the regular. That doesn't mean he needs to stop wrestling completely for all time, but I think wrestling on a (very?) infrequent basis wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for him. 

To Burgundy: Sure, I agree, which is why I lamented the fact that there is no room for a manager-only guy in modern WWE, which I think Enzo would be perfect for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Destiny wrestling is bringing in Eric Bischoff to their show this Sunday in Mississauga. I'm looking forward to meeting him!

Eh, I wouldn't be, but different strokes for different folks. I'd lose my shit though to meet Paul Heyman. 

26 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Destiny wrestling is bringing in Eric Bischoff to their show this Sunday in Mississauga. I'm looking forward to meeting him!

Not so fast...

3 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Cass needs another 1-2 years of seasoning before he's ready for any kind of a main event push. I love the dude but he looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. Giving him a big push now before he's ready for and comfortable with the spot is asking for disaster. I know there's something to be said about trial by fire, but it's still way too soon for hum.

I couldn't agree with you more.  He is like WWE's version of Moose.  I actually may take Moose over Cass only because Cass reminds me of Test or a Lance Hoyt.  I could see Cass as a monster heel being fed to Cena and Reigns but he hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

• Like 1

If Test came in today instead of in 1999, and wasn't surrounded by some of the biggest stars of all time at the peak of the WWF's business, I have almost no doubt he would be a multiple time world champion (and there were many who thought it would come to fruition even back then).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Lots of people underestimating Enzo in here.  Saying he needs to stop wrestling and just be a manager is silly.  Coupla hatas...

Enzo's a little rough around the edges but what do yo expect from guys that have come from the WWE system from scratch in this NXT era, most guys spend 3 years at the most in developemental before getting called up and that isnt alot of time for guys that started from scratch.

Tamina gets alotta shit for being no a good worker but I mean she only spent like 6 months in FCW before she got called up, It she got signed about 3 years later she'd be  half way decent. Once these guys get called up they have to sink or swim. I think Enzo will get his footing in the ring especially working against the club and Working in matches with Cena both He and Cass with get alot of time for there matches

I watched Cena's monologue on the ESPY's, and while you could see he wasn't fully comfortable at first he pulled it off just fine. I don't think it is a stretch to say Cena in the greatest wrestling ace in the history of the business. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

If Test came in today instead of in 1999, and wasn't surrounded by some of the biggest stars of all time at the peak of the WWF's business, I have almost no doubt he would be a multiple time world champion (and there were many who thought it would come to fruition even back then).

Test was somebody who I would never want to see as a fulltime main eventer but I enjoyed him in his role as an upper mid carder. I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy fulfilling a spot with out needing to be pushed to the moon.

I miss Test. He was one of those guys who didn't come off as very large on TV but was absolutely MASSIVE when you saw him in person. I remember being blown away by just how big he was seeing him at a Raw.

It's amazing to think in one night we had cool-ass Lucha, Nakamura in an epic-style match and a surreal as all hell start to the Cruserweight tournament.  Before posting in their respective threads, just wanted to say that tonight was a damn great night of wrestling.  And it's only going to get better in the coming weeks.

EDIT:  And what more than anything is blowing my mind is that most of the people on WWE TV tonight would not have been anywhere near this even five years ago.  It's just crazy to think about how far things have come in such a short time.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

I watched Cena's monologue on the ESPY's, and while you could see he wasn't fully comfortable at first he pulled it off just fine. I don't think it is a stretch to say Cena in the greatest wrestling ace in the history of the business. 

Were you alive in the 1980s?  There was this guy.....Hulk Hogan........

1 minute ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Were you alive in the 1980s?  There was this guy.....Hulk Hogan........

Unfortunately I was very alive in the 80's lol, and by that I mean I am old. Here is why I say Cena. To me, Hogan had more mainstream popularity, but he always gave off the carny "wrestler" vibe, like wearing goofy merch everywhere and cutting promos all over the place. I also always got the feeling the Hulkster was putting himself over as much as he was anything else. Cena does all this mainstream stuff and just comes off as a perfect ambassador for the WWE. He was breaking all sorts of kayfabe last night and they were putting up pictures of Vince and it didn't seem out of place at all. The guy just does everything so well and to me is the perfect face of the company.

And not for nothing, but I am willing to bet that in 20 years Cena doesn't end up the old, scumbag embarrassment that the Huckster is.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Enzo could easily be an upper mid carder in an IC/US role in his future. 

The thing is - all I've ever seen him do is take a beating. He's Ricky Morton... I don't even know what his offense looks like.

There's worse things in life than being seen as Ricky Morton.

Two things:

1. Does any of our older posters feel the Monday Night Wars burned them on wrestling? I was off on Mondays at the time, so no VCR for me. Six damn hours of wrestling (first Raw, then the Nitro replay), plus keeping up with ECW, even ordering their PPVs. I can barely watch wrestling now ("yay, an armdrag."). I'm not totally dead, but pretty wounded.

2. I know it goes against his suspension, but WWE is blowing it not doing a mini-documentary with Reigns where he owns up to his mistake and shows him trying to get through it. Ultra-serious presentation. Show him at some complete shit gym returning to his roots working on wrestling 'cause they won't let him in the performance center. Talk about how he let his family down. Talk about how he's gonna get his redemption at the PPV, how he'll show everyone who the man is.

5 minutes ago, jstout said:

Two things:

1. Does any of our older posters feel the Monday Night Wars burned them on wrestling?

WWE wise, I think it is more that it seems like it is basically the same show since 1999. That's the burnout for me.

22 minutes ago, jstout said:

Two things:

1. Does any of our older posters feel the Monday Night Wars burned them on wrestling?

I don't think it did, at least not right away. But that could also be due to I just flipped between the two shows and never went out of my way to see all of both, and ECW stopped being shown in my area right around the time it wrestling really started taking off, the last episode I saw aired was when Lawler showed up in the arena I think, but even before that it was on so late that I usually was asleep or forgot it was on. Then after the WARZ I didn't feel burnt out and started following ROH when it started up.

However, I did start feeling like I was watching out of obligation around 2009-2010 and when heel Cole was around I really really scaled back my watching to checking out things on youtube when they were hyped here, checking out Raw once in while (like once a every three months) and watching the Rumble and Mania. It was kind of disappointing to me because I knew I was missing a lot of Punk and Bryan stuff and they're two of my favorite guys but even when they'd pull me back in (such as MITB 2011) it would all end up reminding me why I wasn't going out of my way to watch anymore. I started to get pulled back in after the Cena/Bryan Summerslam match and started watching regularly again around last years Rumble and really NXT is probably the biggest thing that keeps me and my wife (she was a lapsed fan also but much longer than me in fact I didn't even know she ever watched wrestling until over a year into our relationship) watching wrestling. We watch Raw once in a while and all the PPV's but NXT is can't miss every week. I think I was brunt out for a while before I cut back on watching, I think the ROH style brunt me out more than WWE but WWE's booking probably made it easier to not feel obligated to watch.

16 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Asking Enzo to become a manager only is asking for him to be future endeavored. Unless he starts looking like Maryse or Lana, a non-wrestling role for him isn't an option.

"My dick tuck game is on point, and YOU CAN'T TEACH THAT!"

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NickMD said:

It's amazing to think in one night we had cool-ass Lucha, Nakamura in an epic-style match and a surreal as all hell start to the Cruserweight tournament.  Before posting in their respective threads, just wanted to say that tonight was a damn great night of wrestling.  And it's only going to get better in the coming weeks.

EDIT:  And what more than anything is blowing my mind is that most of the people on WWE TV tonight would not have been anywhere near this even five years ago.  It's just crazy to think about how far things have come in such a short time.

Actually, it lasts one more week.  Season 2 Finale for Lucha Underground is next week.

44 minutes ago, jstout said:

Does any of our older posters feel the Monday Night Wars burned them on wrestling?

In a way, because it made matches less special.  I grew up on syndicated shows where the occasional midcarder vs midcarder main event was something unique and fun.  I'd look forward to SNME and Mania like they were Christmas because that was the only time you'd get a bunch of matches with marquee guys.  Also, the squashes served to build guys up.

The Monday Night Wars killed this dead because the competition between the companies forced them to put star vs star matches on free TV.  And now, even though the war is long over, they still burn through prospective matches and nothing is special anymore.  I've seen Owens vs Cesaro on free TV 3-4 times already and, while they're awesome wrestlers and I enjoy their matches, the bouts mean nothing.  There's no build to the matches and nothing to get excited about.

So I'd say one very particular aspect of the wars -- the overexposure of big matches -- still has repercussions today and absolutely burned me out on WWE.  I like Popeye's chicken but I don't want it every day.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Infinit said:

Whut that hale?!?!?!?!

There have been several theories that Bischoff is going to be one of the two GMs - so the WWE pulling him from a show the day before he returns isn't shocking.

(A lot of the reasoning is that Bischoff wasn't one of the comedy GMs to return AND he got a lot of run with that new DVD set coming out and the sit down with JBL and usually when the WWE does those things they do SOMETHING with you. Again all just speculation but...)