DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Advertised for RAW

- Vince doing a "review" of Shane and Steph

- Rusev vs. Zack Ryder for US Title

- #1 Contender for IC Title Battle Royal

- Sasha Banks vs. Dana Brooke

I wonder if the review of Shane and Steph will include that despite both of them demanding to run both shows, neither of them can be bothered to show up on Raw every week. 

I'm surprised Ryder is getting the title shot.  I half expect Vince to make some "joke" at UFC's expense by pointing out how his guys are ready for a title match at a moment's notice.  Is R-Truth booked?  Maybe they could roll him out in an iron lung, offer him a title shot, and have Truth amaze the world by winning the US Title 20 min after being hooked to an iron lung.  That would show up that Silva guy!

10 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Whatever the reason, the crowds connected with them organically from a very early point.

10 or so odd years being on the internet and called really good at pro wrestling might have something to do with it.

Are people, and the WWE, so dense as to not realize you can get over through past accomplishments that have nothing to do with your current position? I mean we know the WWE are...

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Does anyone in these parts still watch Chikara?

Just wondering.  My Chikara dvd buying ended shortly after they restarted the promotion.  Everything that went along with the shutdown - the rumors about Quack and his wife, the "clues", oh god, the 90 page PDF document -soured me a little and I was kinda underwhelmed when Chikara 2.0 started.  That's somewhat coincidental, though.  My enjoyment of Chikara had been slowly diminishing since... year two of the BDK storyline, maybe.  I like complex storylines and long-term booking, but Quack took things a little too far.  

Just curious if anyone still watches.  Chikara barely gets mentioned at all any more, even in the indy forum.

I keep track with Chikara (though admittedly, I wasn't keeping too much track before the restart so I feel like I came in moderately fresh). I feel like I get my eight bucks' worth per month out of Chikaratopia and I'm almost always a couple of months behind so I tend to catch up just as they add shows to the archive. The one thing that throws me a little is that it feels like their announcers aren't calling from a monitor and are just looking straight at the ring (either that or their monitor is a static shot of the hard cam), because their words don't really properly describe the action, but admittedly I'm an announcer nerd so that's my own hangup. :)

That said, I think the booking's been relatively easy to follow over the last year or so, especially with the turbulent nature of running an indy.

So, just out of curiosity, someone here surely has discovered the 2:30 long Best of the 80's Southwest Championship wrestling streaming on Amazon Prime, right? There is some terrible shit to weed through however, I've already found Tommy Rich vs. Buzz Sawyer (a bloody brawl) and Manny Fernandez wrestling Nick Bockwinkel for the AWA title and I'm not even all the way through it yet.

P.S. There is also some terrible - "drunk grandpa" level banter between i-don't-have-a-clue and Ox Baker to tie the matches together. Some cringe worthy stuff along with some great old school territorial goodness.

24 minutes ago, KDWI said:

I keep track with Chikara (though admittedly, I wasn't keeping too much track before the restart so I feel like I came in moderately fresh). I feel like I get my eight bucks' worth per month out of Chikaratopia and I'm almost always a couple of months behind so I tend to catch up just as they add shows to the archive. The one thing that throws me a little is that it feels like their announcers aren't calling from a monitor and are just looking straight at the ring (either that or their monitor is a static shot of the hard cam), because their words don't really properly describe the action, but admittedly I'm an announcer nerd so that's my own hangup. :)

Since one of them posts here, maybe he can answer your question.

6 hours ago, DTTW said:

10 or so odd years being on the internet and called really good at pro wrestling might have something to do with it.

Are people, and the WWE, so dense as to not realize you can get over through past accomplishments that have nothing to do with your current position? I mean we know the WWE are...

This is correct- and honestly, it is the whole problem.

Traditionally, someone who was at enough of a level to be able to go to whatever territory they ask for and instantly be a contender had to be a real star- either one of the biggest names in the country or world at the time, someone who defected from one of the other "Big Three" promotions, or someone who was a TOP star. Anyone who wasn't a huge star ended up having to start from square one and try to make a name for themselves all over again and prove themselves.

For better or worse, this is the first era where a person who's gotten some acclaim somewhere else can immediately walk into a new promotion, and have people not be willing to accept you as starting from scratch in this new promotion- even if you enter with a new name, new gimmick, new everything, they still see you as the same person you were in that other promotion...and demand you be TREATED as  equally as big a star as you were in that other promotion, even if the promotion was so much smaller than the WWE is they're barely in the same sport, let alone the same league. 

So how long has it been since someone not directly related to Vince, or Vince himself, has not been on Raw? That ending segment sounds like some of the worst tv possible. Like a love letter to Vince's ego.

It has to be before Shane returned sometime last year - there were those couple of episodes where Steph and HHH weren't there so Kane was in charge

6 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

For better or worse, this is the first era where a person who's gotten some acclaim somewhere else can immediately walk into a new promotion, and have people not be willing to accept you as starting from scratch in this new promotion- even if you enter with a new name, new gimmick, new everything, they still see you as the same person you were in that other promotion...and demand you be TREATED as  equally as big a star as you were in that other promotion, even if the promotion was so much smaller than the WWE is they're barely in the same sport, let alone the same league. 

Examples please. Outside of AJ who entered WWE and took off from day one I can't think of anyone else who would fit this prescription.

Bryan and Punk both took years to really heat up. Owens debuted in a feud with Cena so you can't fault the fans for treating him like a big deal. Zayn debuted in a feud with Owens and was treated as an upper-midcarder by WWE on day one.

2 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Examples please. Outside of AJ who entered WWE and took off from day one I can't think of anyone else who would fit this prescription.

Bryan and Punk both took years to really heat up. Owens debuted in a feud with Cena so you can't fault the fans for treating him like a big deal. Zayn debuted in a feud with Owens and was treated as an upper-midcarder by WWE on day one.

You can't really compare Owens & Zayn to Bryan & Punk. NXT is a pretty big deal these days. Those two were already over before they even got bumped up to The Show due to their NXT exposure / character development.

A better comparison would be Gallows & Anderson. There's no way they would be in the place they're in now if they were not associated with AJ. Even if they debuted with no mention of The Bullet Club or AJ Styles alongside them they would still get crickets.

23 minutes ago, DTTW said:

From a joke at the office...if your a juggalo and brony, you are a jabroni.

21 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

That's cool that you joke around at your office. I just contemplate suicide

If those were the kind of jokes they told at my office, I would too.

• Like 2

If you heard the jokes we tell at our office, you'd question why someone doesn't just burn our building down. Radio dj's, much like first responders, have senses of humor that some would find...un-natural...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dewar said:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/business/NBC10-Responds-WWE-Refund_Philadelphia-386306511.html

There we go. And every comment points out what a whiner/loser/dork he is for complaining about "Card Subject to Change". :)

Honest to god fuck that guy.  I hope WWE revokes the tickets they gave him and then book Cena/Bryan to make special appearances and then the next news story is this guy drinking a gallon of bleach.

I know I'm irrational about this.  Something about that guy.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I'll be curious to see what happens to the WWE's stock price/market value when Vince steps out of the picture for good, either because of death or illness.  I'm assuming he probably won't retire voluntarily, unless it's for medical reasons.

In theory, the company is large and diversified, with Stephanie, Triple H, and Shane (?) ready to step in when Vince can no longer run the company.  Steph and Triple H probably have a lot of say over the wrestling product already, and presumably there are people to run the various divisions when Vince steps away.  Again, that's probably the case already.

In practice, <shrug>.  Vince doesn't seem like the type to give up power easily, and it's kinda surprising how much this enormous modern company still operates its core business like a 1970's territory promotion.  Bigger, more sucessful companies have experienced a dip when the founder/visionary steps away (Steve Jobs, Phil Knight) and I would wager they were more prepared to continue on without "the guy" than the WWE.

I'm not sure what will happen.  It will probably be fascinating to watch.

I think a lot will have to do with who gets the company if Vince is unable to run the company? Also is Linda still alive, because I think if she's alive and running the day-to-day business side of things that would immediately calm investors fears. Now if Linda's out of the picture, my guess is Shane gets the keys to the kingdom with Steph close behind him. In terms of the wrestling side of things my guess is Steph takes over Vince's role in that aspect.

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

Linda stepped down when she ran for the senate.

Wasn't that for legal reasons?

When Vince keels, stocks gonna drop, recover slightly, and then down down down it's going to go. Stephanie will tank the company.

12 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Okay. The biggest example would be Cesaro. 

Came in with a new name of Antonio Cesaro, then a new gimmick (Aksana's new man as she played Teddy Long for a sucker), then repackaged from there to one of the racist Real Americans, mostly spreading around the midcard or lowercard for all of 2012-13.

To the fans, on the other hand? He was never "Antonio Cesaro", all of these things were jokes (to the fact the crowd actually bought into doing the "WE THE PEOPLE!" claim done by the guys who were sold as racist assholes who hate everyone who wasn't a straight white male)- all of that was nothing. To them, he was Claudio Castagnoli, the same guy he was in ROH or CHIKARA all along, and he needed to be treated as EXACTLY as big a deal as Claudio Castagnoli was in ROH or CHIKARA, no matter that either promotion are far smaller than WWE- and if he wasn't instantly as huge a deal as he was there it's was BERRIEDED and proof WWE hates them (even if they changed the story to make Daniel Bryan win at Mania 30...what've you done for us LATELY? We want Cesaro now!)

Man, SorceressKnight's deluded theories on how guys get over in NXT and WWE when a very small portion of the live crowd includes the hardcores who actually watch those guys in ROH, New Japan, EVOLVE, PWG, etc. never get old. 

The best part is that it takes any credit for getting over away from the wrestlers themselves or even the booking. Nope, it was all because of twenty percent of the fanbase who saw Claudio Castagnoli vs. Tyler Black in ROH or whatever that those guys got over at all. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Man, SorceressKnight's deluded theories on how guys get over in NXT and WWE when a very small portion of the live crowd includes the hardcores who actually watch those guys in ROH, New Japan, EVOLVE, PWG, etc. never get old. 

The best part is that it takes any credit for getting over away from the wrestlers themselves or even the booking. Nope, it was all because of twenty percent of the fanbase who saw Claudio Castagnoli vs. Tyler Black in ROH or whatever that those guys got over at all. 

Cesaro came in, had good matches and showed feats of strength that most of the audience hadn't seen outside Mark Henry and had a cool as hell finisher. His momentum slowly built until he won the Andre battle royal. He was a new, cool guy the fans were ready to get behind big time. If he sucked, nobody would care where he came from. The bottom line is, he is GREAT at professional wrestling.

And if you draw a proverbial line from that night to the night Vince said he wasn't over because he was Swiss, therin lies the real problem. We ain't doing pro wrestling here, pal.