DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Speaking of Reigns, has anyone heard about this?

According to Wade Keller of the Pro Wrestling Torch, Vince McMahon is planning a “redemption” storyline for Reigns once he returns to WWE programming.   McMahon wants to tell the story of how “the controversy” put Reigns down. He would then have to find a way to work his way back to what he was before and be even better than he was. McMahon feels if he creates a story in the way he would want it told, it may finally get fans to buy into Reigns and cheer for him.   This story is backed up after WWE told the world on Raw about Reigns’ suspension. Stephanie McMahon even called his failure an embarrassment to WWE. She’s not far off either as Reigns’ suspension surely didn’t make WWE look good. Roman was all over the news, and with WWE positioning him as their top guy, he let them down.

- Source NoDq.com

22 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Rusev or KO could easily be built up to be competitive with Brock.  Corbin would take more work, but him shittalking Brock for not being able to make the NFL would instantly have the crowd ready to see him get slaughtered.

It was a slow day at work, so I thought I'd tag this onto the suggestion that Rusev should be positioned as competitive with Brock.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I've never been a huge fan of Rusev. My first exposure to him was when he debuted on the main roster at the Royal Rumble, and my initial impression was that he was too small to be getting the hoss push. Obviously he's a very strong man, and could crush me like an insect, but his height and stature made it hard for me to buy in.

But that's not the issue he's facing now. In a business that is decidedly shifting toward smaller wrestlers as the larger athletes go into legitimate sports or mixed martial arts, I don't think his size is the problem it would have been ten or twenty years ago. He towers over people like Kalisto, and as long as that's the case he's believable in the strong man role.

Unfortunately, I think the problem Rusev now faces is one that he won't be able to surmount without a significant overhaul, because it's his entire gimmick and has been for the majority of his time on the main roster. He's been a Bulgarian and a Russian, he's been on his own, with a manager, or as part of a stable, but practically since the first time he touched a microphone he's been the stereotypical anti-American heel. And the days of the anti-American heel being a sustainable main event gimmick are over.

With their international presence and increasing inroads into countries like China and India, the WWE is in a position where more and more of their target audience is from outside the United States. As such, these people have no investment in the gimmick he's been saddled with; at best, they'll be indifferent to it and dislike him for any other heel-like behaviour he may exhibit. And for all their flaws and oversights, I think somewhere in the creative food chain they recognize this, and have his ceiling accordingly.

I don't really buy that rumor either (but if it's true it will make for another year of Vince vs. the fans, can't wait for that RR pop), but it outlines the general problem. The fan revolt against Roman is only going to be worse when he comes back. It's not debatable. The fans will want to cheer Ambrose and Rollins even harder. If the office is hell bent on keeping him face, there is no way it is going to work. 

5 hours ago, (BP) said:

If I was Vince, I would have Roman "ask for his release," let him go set the world on fire in Japan for a year, and then bring him back. 

Who's to say the Japanese promotions would play ball with that? Or the Japanese fans, for that matter? And I'm not sure his style is conducive to having a high quality Japanese-style match (although Japan is a lot more similar to WWE style than it used to be).

Also, name a wrestler that has been in WWE for a long time without getting over at the level they wanted, went to Japan and had good matches, then came back and became a legit top level main eventer. Except Umaga.

With wrestling being more cooperative and fluid, I don't think it's a stretch that at some point a WWE guy could wind up in New Japan for a tour.  Reigns has shown flashes of at least being aware of the Japanese style, so I imagine he could train exclusively in it for 5-6 months and be ready to go.  Despite what some chuckleheads would have us believe, Reigns is a very good worker and can likely adapt.

All you need is a story.  Have Reigns become so despondent that he decides to leave WWE.  He travels the world in search of himself, winds up in Tokyo.  Meets his would-be sensei, and starts training.  Conquers Japan, eventually makes his way back to the United States and the life he left behind and faces his demons.  He wins, drop the confetti and balloons. 

Not that I expect this to happen, but it's probably easy enough to do if they wanted.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

All you need is a story.  Have Reigns become so despondent that he decides to leave WWE.  He travels the world in search of himself.

This is the way to go. Turn Roman into Caine from Kung-Fu. Just shoot vignettes of Roman meeting people and getting into adventures, as Samuel L. Jackson described it. 

The one I can think of right now is Roman in Puerto Rico with his tour guides, Epico & Primo. 

• Like 1

Kung Funaki can be his spiritual guru.

Or Funaki and TAKA can both come back and convince him to just do Pillmanizers on Kane and Big Show.

Because Kaientai is Eeeeeevil.

14 hours ago, (BP) said:

If I was Vince, I would have Roman "ask for his release," let him go set the world on fire in Japan for a year, and then bring him back. 

Now that the Reigns redemption story has been outed as phony, I can get back to laughing at slightly better Tama Tonga setting the world on fire in Japan. 

I wonder how violently ill crowds will get if Lesnar is actually coming off consecutive UFC victories whenever it is he winds up having to put over Reigns? Also it's ludicrous to put out there that Reigns wasn't being given a Final Boss push this whole time or that he somehow wasn't brooding enough. Oh, he wasn't enough of a Stone Goldberg asskicer? Then what was his whole "I'm The Guy"(more like the guy Brad Wesley's nephew used to fuck in prison)spiel even about? The truth is a Reigns victory over Lesnar won't do a damned thing for him because until crowds actually give a molecule of a shit about him it won't feel like he's earned it. With there soon to be two heavyweight titles again what are the chances Lesnar takes one of the belts hostage again right around Royal Rumble?

• Like 1

As if Lesnar coming out tomorrow night on RAW, calling out Mark Hunt to no response, then calling out Roman Reigns to no response, and deciding he wants "any other Samoan who wants to fight" and ending up in a pull apart with Samoa Joe doesn't get Austin/Tyson style replays all over ESPN

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

As if Lesnar coming out tomorrow night on RAW, calling out Mark Hunt to no response, then calling out Roman Reigns to no response, and deciding he wants "any other Samoan who wants to fight" and ending up in a pull apart with Samoa Joe doesn't get Austin/Tyson style replays all over ESPN

True because of WWE's new relationship with ESPN, but issues with that specific wording:
1. Really not a good time to bring race into anything
2. People that don't post about wrestling on the Internet would think about/wish for Rock and shit all over Joe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

With wrestling being more cooperative and fluid, I don't think it's a stretch that at some point a WWE guy could wind up in New Japan for a tour.  Reigns has shown flashes of at least being aware of the Japanese style, so I imagine he could train exclusively in it for 5-6 months and be ready to go.  Despite what some chuckleheads would have us believe, Reigns is a very good worker and can likely adapt.

All you need is a story.  Have Reigns become so despondent that he decides to leave WWE.  He travels the world in search of himself, winds up in Tokyo.  Meets his would-be sensei, and starts training.  Conquers Japan, eventually makes his way back to the United States and the life he left behind and faces his demons.  He wins, drop the confetti and balloons. 

Not that I expect this to happen, but it's probably easy enough to do if they wanted.

Or have him find Vampiro.   Only problem with that is you get Roman in LU, and I don't want him in LU.

2 hours ago, alstein said:

Or have him find Vampiro.   Only problem with that is you get Roman in LU, and I don't want him in LU.

I don't keep up with LU enough to actually know, but is it setting the world on fire these days?  Most opinions make Season 2 sound pretty iffy.

34 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't keep up with LU enough to actually know, but is it setting the world on fire these days?  Most opinions make Season 2 sound pretty iffy.

Season 2 started airing in January.  :(

If they were going to send Roman to another promotion to do some sort of redemption storyline, I kinda want to see him in Fight Club Finland.  Mostly because FCF doesn't air in the US that I know of, and I've never seen a FCF DVD for sale.