DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

This random thought popped into my head, Ricochet signs with the WWE he should push to be renamed Ric O'Shea. The WWE gets to trademark the name and he gets a mane that's similar sounding to the name he built his reputation with on the indies and in Japan.

2 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

This random thought popped into my head, Ricochet signs with the WWE he should push to be renamed Ric O'Shea. The WWE gets to trademark the name and he gets a mane that's similar sounding to the name he built his reputation with on the indies and in Japan.

That was a running joke on IWA commentary when he was starting out. Remember a bunch of the wrestlers on commentary referring to him as "The Black Irishman..."

• Like 1

It's dumb as they've painted themselves into a corner. For the Summerslam matchup to be that much more valuable at the conclusion of UFC 200, Lesnar either has to either murder Hunt in the cage, or there's a rematch between the two at Summerslam. Both of which look highly unlikely. Anything else is at best significantly devalues Lesnar's WWE appearance.

22 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

It also has a very high chance of pointing out that the guy that no-one on the WWE roster has gotten close to beating in the past 4 years just got destroyed by a "real" fighter.

I still don't think this matters at all. He got beaten handily in his last 2 UFC fights and no one made a big deal out of it when he came back to WWE. People understand the difference.

• Like 1

According to Stephanie, guys that lose in UFC lose their drawing power. Yet somehow in the dying PPV business, the UFC is going to have to open new bank accounts to put all the money they are going to make off of Lesnar, McGregor and Rousey in the next few months. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

It's dumb as they've painted themselves into a corner. For the Summerslam matchup to be that much more valuable at the conclusion of UFC 200, Lesnar either has to either murder Hunt in the cage, or there's a rematch between the two at Summerslam. Both of which look highly unlikely. Anything else is at best significantly devalues Lesnar's WWE appearance.

What options does the WWE have at this point?  Brock's been making Vince his bitch in contract negotiations ever since he came back.  If Brock wants to fight, he's gonna fight.  The 'E just has to do the best they can with whatever Brock deems fit to give them.

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

What options does the WWE have at this point?  Brock's been making Vince his bitch in contract negotiations ever since he came back.  If Brock wants to fight, he's gonna fight.  The 'E just has to do the best they can with whatever Brock deems fit to give them.

They could have not used him to hamstring the rest of the roster.

My issue isn't so much that he's going to compete at a UFC event, so much as is it seems far too early to be promoting his Summerslam opponent before the fight result is known.

Let's say Lesnar gets destroyed by Hunt in the opening round. His value to UFC is now severely compromised, is it not a better long term business decision to go with a Lesnar vs underdog opponent for Summerslam rather than a Lesnar vs established guy match, that further contributes to his negotiating leverage being diminished? As unlikely as it is to occur - imagine that Hunt taps Lesnar. Can you then go with a match against a guy like Gable where not only is it still a hyped match in the IWC, but the storyline being "can this underdog tap Lesnar too?", and if it bombs at the box office, so be it, good luck negotiating your next contract, Brock.

TL;DR, would have been better for WWE to wait and see the outcome of the UFC matchup, if not to avoid looking like shitstains if Lesnar has to pull out, but also to further their own business advantages.

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

According to Stephanie, guys that lose in UFC lose their drawing power. Yet somehow in the dying PPV business, the UFC is going to have to open new bank accounts to put all the money they are going to make off of Lesnar, McGregor and Rousey in the next few months. 

McGregor and Rousey have somewhat justified excuses for their losses though, and you want to see those rematches. 

Lesnar having already lost two decisive fights, and now a third makes it a bit more difficult to justify.

Since I don't think there is any evidence that Lesnar is much of a draw in WWE at the moment, I don't think it will hurt it either way. Plus I agree with whomever said it that 98% of the population knows the difference between MMA and wrestling, and the 2% that don't probably don't have high speed Internet so they can't get the Network anyway. Winning or losing in a real fight doesn't mean anything in a fake fight, unless you are Dr. Death Steve Williams. I just don't see it as a big deal one way or the other, except that it shows how much power Lesnar has over WWE. I think he and The Rock are the only two that can call all their shots in WWE, and possibly Taker.

From a storytelling perspective, I think it hurts. WWE's two go-to storylines are the immovable object meeting the irresistible force, or how can ______ overcome the odds?

There's not a lot of odds to overcome, if the immovable object just got knocked the fuck out a few weeks earlier. 

Unless there's something bigger happening (i.e. Hunt involvement at WWE level), you also end up with a majority of your crowd chanting for a guy that's not one of your own, for an angle that's probably unlikely to be delivered on.

They can just say Lesnar's opponent will be Ambrose. If Brock loses to Hunt, they can just play it up that Lesnar only lost after being "a changed man" after his Mania match with Ambrose. You know, because squashing a guy with 17 suplexes takes a lot out of you.

Then they can let Ambrose beat Lesnar, because it's the WWE and they dig that whole 50/50 booking thing. The winning moment can then feature Cole saying something oh so brilliant like, "Dean finally got the monkey off his back."

That interview with Ricky Steamboat that the L.A.W. guys did at a comic book convention last week was really uncomfortable to watch.  My dad had dementia from taking too many hits to the head playing football in high school and college, and Ricky sounded eerily like my Dad in the early stages in that video.

Just for the record - there was no mention of Brock's match at the Smackdown tapings

So either they will do an insert on Thursday or they have already changed their mind

Whomever is his opponent (and I'm going to guess Orton), if Brock loses his UFC match, they can have Heyman cut a promo on the following Monday saying that Orton got in to Brock's head so much that he couldn't focus on his UFC match and it cost him. But now that the UFC match is over, and Orton cost him that match, Brock is now more focused than ever on beating the life out of Orton at Summerslam so watch out.