DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

11 hours ago, NickMD said:

I get that Wyatt is a huge Nak fan, so I'd be happy with one of the matches being those two.  But Nak/Owens sounds so, so good and I'm bummed it won't be a Network special.

On the off chance that you aren't aware, that match has happened in ROH.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

TNA has done War Games ripoffs with a single ring. They're usually terrible. Jeff put Kaz (I think) through a table on the roof one year.

ROH did "Steel Cage Warfare" with Generation Next vs. The Embassy with only one ring, and it was awesome. 

They also did Cage of Death with Team ROH vs. Team CZW. Once again, only having one ring did not detract from the match. 

TNA's War Games analogue, Lethal Lockdown, isn't awful because of only using one ring.  It's awful because the psychology is broken.  The entry period is usually fine.  One on one for the first five minutes, then alternating entrants every two minutes, heels get the numbers advantage, babyfaces even odds, repeat until all entrants are in.  Standard common sense War Games.  Then it all goes to shit because both sides end up in a stand off while waiting for the roof to lower.  The roof has weapons hanging off of it (because a giant steel cage isn't enough) so after most of these guys take a beating and sell throughout the entry period, everybody just stops selling and starts climbing the cage to grab weapons so it's basically a complete reset and the whole entry period is a waste of time.  Then they hit each other in the head with weapons.  For what feels like forever.  War Games usually ended a few minutes after the last man entered because guys had been taking a beating throughout the entire entry period and one of the heels can't take anymore and submits.  Lethal Lockdown just keeps going on and on after the final entrant with the endless weapon shots and despite the locked cage door and a roof, somehow multiple guys would usually always end up outside of the cage with someone taking some kind of stupid bump off the roof.  And it usually ends in a pinfall instead of submission or surrender.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AxB said:

TNA has done War Games ripoffs with a single ring. They're usually terrible. Jeff put Kaz (I think) through a table on the roof one year.

The problem is not the lack of a second ring.

The problem is loltna

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AxB said:

You know how the Dudleys have for years been doing a false finish off a Belly to Back Suplex (Bully)/ Neckbreaker (Devon) combination? Did anyone ever actually name that move? JR always used to mis-call it as the 3D even though it clearly wasn't that... I think it was called the Movement Buster in AJPW or NOAH.

I dunno what it's called either, but I love that STILL after all these years of them doing that move, you can hear the crowd audibly marking out and people shouting "3D!" for the wrong move.  Seriously watch any Dudleyz match where they do the move and you will see people standing and shouting and cheering and it boggles the mind that after all these years people still don't see the difference.  I also remember JR mis-calling it, in fact a couple weeks back the Dudleyz did the move and Lawler reacted to it as if they'd done the 3D while the rest of the announcers noticed it immediately and kept calling the match while you could hear Lawler somewhat mystified as to how the match hadn't ended.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

They aren't necessarily people WWE believes or should believe at this point will garner them enough extra subscriptions to be worth putting on the network.

Gotta love that WWE self fulfilling prophecy.

You know you've done your job as a heel when...

According to the Rome News-Tribune, a spectator pulled a loaded gun on a wrestler in the middle of a match this past Saturday and is now being charged with aggravated assault. The woman in the seats, 59-year-old Patricia Anne Crowe, who reportedly has regularly attended the monthly American Wrestling Federation (AWF) events in Ringgold, apparently just got up during a match involving longtime wrestler Paul Lee (pictured above) and a wrestler known as “Iron Mann” and pointed her gun at Lee.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I know you're still mad at misanthrope for screwing up that Lamar mission J.T. but come on... you still have him on ignore? 

I am still sore about that PIT off of the pier in that one race.  I had that shit won, goddammit..

• Like 2

13 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

On the off chance that you aren't aware, that match has happened in ROH.

I am aware of that match and might track that down to check it out.  But it'd still be wonderfully weird to see them do this in a WWE ring and for that I'm hoping to see that one day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Didn't they though?

They had a really good match AT Elimination Chamber but it wasn't in the actual Chamber and I believe that is what Creative was asking for

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NickMD said:

I am aware of that match and might track that down to check it out.  But it'd still be wonderfully weird to see them do this in a WWE ring and for that I'm hoping to see that one day.

It is absolutely a fun match. Especially this spot (If it doesn't do it properly, it's 48 seconds in).

• Like 2

Was reading a Hollywood Reporter article about show-runners for TV comedies and loved this part from Nahnatchka Khan, the showrunner for 'Fresh Off the Boat'.

Who is the character on television — currently or in the past — with whom you most identify?

KHAN This is going to sound weird, but when I was a little kid, the Iron Sheik was really big in our house. (Laughs.) He was a wrestler in the WWE who was from Iran, and he would be very proud. His shoes were the colors of the Iranian flag, and that was a big deal. Not to say that I saw myself in the Iron Sheik, but our whole family would gather around the TV on Saturday and watch the Iron Sheik wrestle. And he was the bad guy, so everyone else was booing him and cheering whoever he was fighting — it was the opposite in our house. KHAN This is going to sound weird, but when I was a little kid, the Iron Sheik was really big in our house. (Laughs.) He was a wrestler in the WWE who was from Iran, and he would be very proud. His shoes were the colors of the Iranian flag, and that was a big deal. Not to say that I saw myself in the Iron Sheik, but our whole family would gather around the TV on Saturday and watch the Iron Sheik wrestle. And he was the bad guy, so everyone else was booing him and cheering whoever he was fighting — it was the opposite in our house.