DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Phantom Lord said:

Well, I figured maybe they that kid got an extra $10 bucks for going off the roof. Probably not though.

The other guy in there is Joey Janela who's usually a technical/flier guy and has really impressed me in the matches of his I've seen in the past year, so it's kind of surprising to see him involved in such a match.  But it seems to be a rite of passage for people who work for Zandig or Ian Rotten to have to work such a match at some point.  His twitter comments about it are amusing -

The Internet has told me today, that I was paid in hoagies,hot dogs, and pizza yesterday....,.. Oh and $15.....

17 retweets 63 likes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Welcome to yesterday and the NXT and UK threads :-P

The only Tommy End matches I've seen were his outings at the 2015 BOLA and liked his work best of all the Euro guys on the card.  Can anyone recommend some other matches of his I should check out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, We Dem Boyz said:

Spoken by someone who has clearly never done bath salts

Is that a bad thing?!

That's like saying "Spoken like someone who has never run over someone with their car".  I mean, yeah it's true, but it's not it's something to be really proud of.

• Like 7

AGNTracy-

MIDAM always paid well for a Midwest indy. Carmine was very fair with his workers. I was trying to get out of doing garbage matches, but I got begged to come in for a last minute replacement (for Mad Man Pondo maybe?) in the premier (?) HCC, first for the opener (barbed wire board match with Harley Lewis, great worker) and ended up working a Taipei Deathmatch with Cpl. Robinson (truly a hardcore guy and a sweetheart). What a soft touch I was, I couldn't say no to trying something stoopid. As with many experiences, I consider myself "paid" with the stories I got out of it. Carmine tried to do the right thing and hire a legit doctor to be ringside, but the sawbones got drunk in the Knights of Columbus bar. There is video somewhere of me getting stitched up with sloppy swinging loops in the bathroom. Oh, and he forgot to bring the topical. The cameraman nearly hurled. I just laughed and thought of Toru Tanaka getting sewn up in the lockerroom in B&W pics from the old Apter mags. Whatta maroon I am, to be sure. Three days later, Carmine called me: "Guess where I am?"

"A bar?"

"Of course! It's a wake!"

"Who died?"

"The doctor from the Hardcore Cup!"

In his sleep. Emmis.

that's rasslin',

RAF

p.s. - the stitches popped out the day after and the scar bisects a tattoo in a jaunty manner to this day.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The other guy in there is Joey Janela who's usually a technical/flier guy and has really impressed me in the matches of his I've seen in the past year, so it's kind of surprising to see him involved in such a match.  But it seems to be a rite of passage for people who work for Zandig or Ian Rotten to have to work such a match at some point.  His twitter comments about it are amusing -

The Internet has told me today, that I was paid in hoagies,hot dogs, and pizza yesterday....,.. Oh and $15.....

17 retweets 63 likes

So he isn't denying it?

In the interest of full disclosure, I got a $60 PO for the six-man tag team main I wrestled in 2012 that included taking a barbed wire baseball bat to the top o' the noggin and a powerbomb into thumbtacks.

(I took even dumber bumps as a referee, including going into a barbed wire board.  I was young and stupid.)

The powerbomb into a birthday cake the following month actually hurt more.  Bat shot was nothing and the tacks bump would've been fine if I hadn't put my hands down and gotten them full of tacks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

what's the name of that Canadian female indie wrestler whose career has sort of nose-dived due to visa troubles? She was mentioned on here a month or two ago

Seleziya Sparx?

On 6/5/2016 at 7:16 PM, Casey said:

WWE can't even get McGregor or Rousey to appear again, much less Mark Hunt. This isn't a trade-off, WWE won't get anything in return from UFC for letting Brock Lesnar fight at 200. C'mon guys. Lesnar knew he had the leverage before WrestleMania 31, and he held them over a barrel and fucked them (and rightfully so).

Maybe they can get Mark Hunt's brother, Mike.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Bix was the person I saw bring up the NY State Commission thing. Don't know if that is who SKOS saw or someone else throwing it out there

WWE can get an athletic commission to do whatever it wants.  The Maryland State Athletic Commission outlawed blood, yet WWE has had bloody matches in Maryland in the past.  I'm sure they'd have no problem getting around this.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Pete, what was it like watching Dory Sr in his prime when you were growing up?

Ask your mom. We used to watch his matches while I shaved her back.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I got a kick out of Farmer Brock saying "alls I knows is". 

I get a bigger kick thinking of Sable giving up the city life to go live on a farm with him. Oh sure they have a nice modern house and all, but according to Paul Heyman it's called Texas Chainsaw Minnesota for a reason. It's so far removed from civilization you need a small plane to get to it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I get a bigger kick thinking of Sable giving up the city life to go live on a farm with him. Oh sure they have a nice modern house and all, but according to Paul Heyman it's called Texas Chainsaw Minnesota for a reason. It's so far removed from civilization you need a small plane to get to it.

Coming to WWE Network: Green Acres, TNG 

• Like 6