DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Vader and Hansen worked Stiff,  they got their shots in and actually hit you. Hansen having band vision maybe not always on purpose.  Snug would be someone like a Bobby Eaton, Tracey Smothers, maybe even Bret Hart.   They work well,crisp, and rarely if ever cause pain to another worker.   Actually a better example of snug workers would be Chris hero and or Alex Shelly.

15 hours ago, caley said:

Oh I was never a big fan of him in ROH either, but he's taken a further step down in TNA.  Especially someone being given a mega-push (Ending EC3's streak, now in an angle with Dixie...no seriously!) he looks so low-budget in TNA.  Bad hair, bad beard (No not Maria), bad tights.  He looks like the guy at your local Elk's Hall doing a pseudo-HBK gimmick in cheap tights.

Bennett managed to look even more low-rent last night with the awful pineapple shirt.

He had a decent look in ROH.  It's like he's intentionally decided to look bush league.

The hell of it is that he might already be in NXT if Maria hadn't made enemies out of people like the Bella's (and - by extension Cena and Daniel Bryan).

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Can Danielson ever really hate anyone? He probably has befriended the guys that robbed his house. Invites them over to make kombucha.

Well, yeah, but only so he can watch them squirm when he forces them to use his outdoor composting toilet.. 

• Like 4

On 6/15/2016 at 3:33 AM, CreativeControl said:

friends, what's the difference between working 'snug' and being 'stiff'?

My impression was if you're working stiff for tv, you're working snug. If you're potato-ing people at house shows, then you work stiff. 

I watched Hogan/Goldberg last night. It's astounding that with the lucha and technical work on the undercard, Hogan was cleaning up doing ten minutes worth of Memphis heel schtick in main events in the late 90s. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I watched Hogan/Goldberg last night. It's astounding that with the lucha and technical work on the undercard, Hogan was cleaning up doing ten minutes worth of Memphis heel schtick in main events in the late 90s. 

Not to discredit late 90s WCW's undercard, which is among my favorite things ever in wrestling, but I think it speaks more to the timelessness and effectiveness of said schtick. I also think Hogan's staying power and/or the desire of the crowd to boo the shit out of him for a few years prior to the NWO also had a lot to do with it.

• Like 1

Hey folks, just a heads up but Image Comics have just released the first tpb of their wrestling story. Heard a lot of good reviews about it

Ringside_vol01-1.png

Explore the crossroads of art, industry, and identity from the view of the wrestlers themselves, the creatives they work with, the suits in charge, and the fans cheering them all on. That’s just the beginning. The real violence is outside the ring. - See more at: https://imagecomics.com/comics/releases/ringside-vol.-1-kayfabe-tp#sthash.xlUCNiR4.dpuf

5 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I think it needs more Brock Lesnar F5ing him into the side of the warped wall.

How WWE managed to turn the story of a one-legged wrestler into something where we (the fans) wanted to see Brock beat him up is just baffling.  I mean, if you watch that clip, it's almost impossible not to cheer for Gowen and the crowd is chanting his name, and the announcers are rooting for him.  And then WWE gets him, decides he has a bad attitude (IIRC) and decides to bury him.

1 hour ago, caley said:

How WWE managed to turn the story of a one-legged wrestler into something where we (the fans) wanted to see Brock beat him up is just baffling.  I mean, if you watch that clip, it's almost impossible not to cheer for Gowen and the crowd is chanting his name, and the announcers are rooting for him.  And then WWE gets him, decides he has a bad attitude (IIRC) and decides to bury him.

Apparently he was popping pills like crazy and was a total douche backstage.  If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and WWE says it's a duck, sometimes it actually is a duck, regardless of how many webbed feet the duck has.

I may have lost the analogy in there somewhere.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Apparently he was popping pills like crazy and was a total douche backstage.  If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and WWE says it's a duck, sometimes it actually is a duck, regardless of how many webbed feet the duck has.

I may have lost the analogy in there somewhere.

I loved the story Big Show told about how when they were going over a match, Gowen was like, "so my special meter is filled up and your stamina is down so I'm going to bump you off the apron." Big Show looks at the one legged kid and said something like, "well, good luck with that."

• Like 1