DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

1 hour ago, Hagan said:

Idiotic on WWE's part. They panic and have him beat Undertaker, which causes 2 1/2 years of booking to get wonky because they don't want to waste the win and have Brock put anyone over and now there's a 50/50 shot he gets his lights turned out at the biggest MMA PPV ever. 

This is Inoki killing his wrestlers in shoot fights level of stupidity here.

One could argue that they've partially wasted the win with Taker and 50/50 booking.  The sooner they can give that formal rub, the better.

I'm excited for Brock in the UFC.  I don't think even a Brock loss hurts WWE.  He's such a special attraction, when he comes back and annihilates someone, he'll get all his heat back.  Plus, if he got KOed in the UFC fight, he now has a weakness that can be exploited.  Maybe now Dean hits him with Lucille and knocks him out.  If he gets submitted in the UFC, maybe he gets tapped in a Accolade by Rusev.  I see no downside, unless it's a dull boring decision loss (which I guess is possible).

Just watched the Will Ospreay v. Ricochet match.  I have no problems with it and I loved it.  Even my non-wrestling fan brother-in-law got into it.  People complaining about it are just being all cranky and get off my lawn.  Are Ospreay and Ricochet in the WWE Cruiserweight Classic?  Are they going to get really lame WWE names?

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well if Hunt puts Lesnar to sleep you could always have Hunt show up on WWE programming for an angle 

WWE already has a Super Samoan, they don't need two.

• Like 2

WWE can't even get McGregor or Rousey to appear again, much less Mark Hunt. This isn't a trade-off, WWE won't get anything in return from UFC for letting Brock Lesnar fight at 200. C'mon guys. Lesnar knew he had the leverage before WrestleMania 31, and he held them over a barrel and fucked them (and rightfully so).

• Like 5

I'm of two minds here. My kneejerk reaction is that if Brock loses, it hurts him as both a special attraction/draw and his on-screen WWE credibility. Kills the mystique, wastes The Streak. But the more I think about it, the more I lean toward thinking that it won't hurt Brock if he loses because today's fan is more evolved with regard to the comparison between a shoot fight and a worked match. The worst that would happen if Brock returns to WWE with a UFC loss under his belt is he'd get taunted by fans, which, Heyman is smart, he'll use that for heat without issue. Plus, if enough time has passed, the audience will just be happy to see him. It's not like anyone remembered his previous UFC losses when he returned in 2012-- hell, Brock was being so awesome by the following year that I barely remembered the Cena loss right when he got back at Extreme Rules let alone anything that happened in a legit sport promoted by another company.

"If enough time has passed, the audience will just be happy to see him."

It'll only have been around 4 months since we last saw him on WWE TV when he appears at SummerSlam. Win, lose or draw, he's still going to be used to put over Roman Reigns. I'm not trying to be negative, but everyone that's a fan of wrestling has to know that. I would be extremely shocked if that wasn't the case.

If Brock gets knocked out and the company doesn't then have Roman go over him at a major show with one Superman punch, then I won't know what the fuck to even say.

I don't see how a Brock loss in UFC would hurt him in WWE. He was still super over in 2012 coming off two first-round losses in UFC (and even after losing his first match to Cena). His aura in WWE is indestructible, especially post WM 30. Even after a year and a half of bad booking and lazy performances, his music still inspires a reaction the rest of the roster can only dream of.

People lose all the time in UFC. They have built a company based around champions who more often than not don't have more than 2 successful defenses. If Lesnar loses, he comes back, Heyman says all his catch phrases, talks about how Lesnar got beat with a lucky shot, Roman has a good right hand, but it won't happen again etc. They have a pull apart brawl, someone cool has the MITB case, and we're off to the races. 

1 hour ago, Go2Sleep said:

I don't see how a Brock loss in UFC would hurt him in WWE. He was still super over in 2012 coming off two first-round losses in UFC (and even after losing his first match to Cena). His aura in WWE is indestructible, especially post WM 30. Even after a year and a half of bad booking and lazy performances, his music still inspires a reaction the rest of the roster can only dream of.

He was super over when he returned because we hadn't seen him on WWE TV in 8 years. His aura is indestructible because he's there for a month or two and then disappears for 4-5 months. You can use that formula for anyone and it would work (obviously not the lower guys, it has to be someone we care about to begin with).

A loss in UFC won't "hurt" his character in WWE, but it sure won't do it any favors either.

What move is he actually supposed to be doing there? Because it looks like he set up for a Bodyslam, then jumped off and took the bump himself feet-first, without actually slamming the guy (or indeed, putting him through whatever that stack of crap was) at all.

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

What move is he actually supposed to be doing there? Because it looks like he set up for a Bodyslam, then jumped off and took the bump himself feet-first, without actually slamming the guy (or indeed, putting him through whatever that stack of crap was) at all.

His finisher was usually a sitout powerslam so I'm assuming that's what he was going for, but much like the infamous spot with Nick Mondo way back when he pretty much dropped feet first through it.

Ratings are already down with Brock. No matter what the outcome of the fight, WWE will not benefit. And to boot, they will probably do something stupid with whatever opportunity presents itself.

2 hours ago, The Z said:

I saw that on Twitter and was wondering why everyone is posting ancient CZW clips now.

I nvever would have thought that was recent.

Only tip off was the video quality, and that, unlike, say, every Nick Mondo clip I ever watched, it didn't look (appropriately) like a snuff film.

Also: "DO IT it's raining DO IIIITTTTTTTT"

If Brock loses at UFC 200 the WWE will pretend it never happened and move on.  They do that already with their own shows and matches.  If Brock wins, they will brag about a WWE superstar beating a UFC fighter for a week, before they forget about it and mishandle the whole situation awfully, killing all momentum.    

• Like 2