DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

If you want to talk Goldberg's qualifications for entry into a more "real" HOF, I'd say no way.  Seriously, the guy was a hot act in a hot company for only a little over a year.  Just because he was pushed hard and booked pretty well for 15 months doesn't mean he had a HOF-worthy career.  And he didn't mean shit once the streak was over.  That alone, to me, is a testament to how "smoke and mirrors" this guy was.  He's Ahmed Johnson with better booking.

To me, Sting is a more deserving candidate and I've always found Sting to be overrated with regard to HOF discussions.

Edit, now I feel like a JDW/Crimson Mask level toolbag because I'm looking at Gordy List questions.  But suffice to say Goldberg isn't even close.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

When I think Don Muraco, I think of hoagies.

I'm still shocked that nobody has stolen that bit. Would be perfect for Owens. Or if you wanted to update it to make it relevant for those damn millenials, have Miz smack around a jobber while taking a meeting over the phone with his agent or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwoy2j said:

I'm still shocked that nobody has stolen that bit. Would be perfect for Owens. Or if you wanted to update it to make it relevant for those damn millenials, have Miz smack around a jobber while taking a meeting over the phone with his agent or something like that.

You had me at KO doing the hoagie bit. That would be great. I'll just ignore the second suggestion involving the Miz. 

53 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

I'm saying sooner or later, everybody goes in.  I just picked two random guys because I knew anybody I picked was going to get scorn from someone.  I could have just as easily said Kamala and Sid.

Kamala will go in after he passes away. There's no way Vince will allow double amputee Jim Harris being wheeled on stage to make his acceptance speech. I'm sure Vince sees diabetes and the loss of one's legs as a major character flaw.

• Like 3

Sid absolutely belongs in the HOF. How many wrestlers are WCW (pre buyout) and WWF world champs? Only a handful.

Goldberg belongs in the HOF just by virtue of how much he did for WCW during the Monday Night Wars. Also when he speared that guy it looked real good and 12 year old me lost his shit every time.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If you want to talk Goldberg's qualifications for entry into a more "real" HOF, I'd say no way.  Seriously, the guy was a hot act in a hot company for only a little over a year.  Just because he was pushed hard and booked pretty well for 15 months doesn't mean he had a HOF-worthy career.  And he didn't mean shit once the streak was over.  That alone, to me, is a testament to how "smoke and mirrors" this guy was.  He's Ahmed Johnson with better booking.

Can we put an end to this notion that anyone can get a big push and be as over as Goldberg? I think people are really selling him short in terms of his connection and charisma. There have been plenty of guys that get similar sustained pushes but cannot connect and ultimately get shuffled back down the card after the push is cut short. I mean, we're in the middle of the Roman Reigns era. I know the push has been different, but he's essentially a walking example that a strong push isn't everything. Goldberg also stayed pretty over after his loss, which a lot of guys can't do. He didn't really need to be built back up. That's a testament to him and the air of believability he had. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

For me, the chops take a back seat to homeboy popping right back up after the death valley driver ...

*roll credits*

#cinemasins

• Like 4

On the Goldberg subject:

I remember 'berg wrestling some guy, and he (Goldberg) goes for a swinging neckbreaker, and somehow, in a way that still boggles my mind, ends up doing some kind of thing that looks like a dragon sleeper, except Goldberg - as the choker - is laying on his stomach.  T'was actually pretty groovy.

Hell before he started cutting promos Goldberg had a legit badass mystique. The aura was aabout him beign a guy who just came to work, kicked ass and then went home. He was the first WWF style guy, in terms of look, created wholly by WCW. He's really was kind of an anomaly in terms of creation, because WCW couldn't make one like him before and they sure as fuck weren't going to create another.

James 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I think Goldberg goes in eventually because sooner or later WWE's going to run out of guys who aren't dead.  You guys do realize if the HOF keeps this pace, 10-20 years down the line guys like Miz and R-Truth are going in, right?

Truth is pretty comparable career-wise to Godfather, Bossman, and Rikishi who all went in the last couple of years. Miz is way above all 4 of them. Pretty much anyone who works for the company for a few years and doesn't leave on bad terms has a pretty good shot at the WWE HOF.

Goldberg will do whatever is asked of him as long as you pay him what he wants.

The issue is that his price has always been WAY higher than the WWE wants to pay

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

If Reigns was getting the Goldberg push, he would be over to the moon (Shield anyone?). Also see Ryback, The. 

I'm pretty sure Ryback's Goldberg push resulted in more chants for Goldberg than it did for Ryback.