DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Northwest Ohio is a fucked pro-wrestling scene man. Between Toledo and Lima there are something 4-6 promotions (roughly, it seems every 6-8 months 2 promotions close only to reopen under new names with roughly the same guys). They all run Toledo at different times. Last night Northwest Ohio Wrestling (NOW), who were supposed to have a show tonight, had  their ring was destroyed by a fire that looks to be a case of arson. It is a believed another promotion had some thing to do with it (not sure which, details are sketchy). NOW has started a go fund me to get a new ring. Some of promotion use the same talent so it baffles me that one promoter decided to cost some guys some bookings which means costing them money.

Seriously fucked up

James

1 hour ago, The Nature Boy said:

My dad used to always ask why tables and chairs were under the ring during every show:

"Are they planning to have a meeting after the show?"

I wonder the same damn thing! 

I think a golden oppurtunity is missed by not having a wrestler pull out somebody's lunch box 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Last night Northwest Ohio Wrestling (NOW), ho were supposed to have a show tonight, had  their destroyed by a fire that looks to be a case of arson. It is a believed another promotion had some thing to do with it (not sure which, details are sketchy). NOW has started a go fund me to get a new ring. Some of promotion use the same talent so it baffles me that one promoter decided to cost some guys some bookings which means costing them money.

Seriously fucked up

James

You left out a word.  What was destroyed in the fire?  Their ring equipment?  'Cause my first thought was that someone burned down the venue NOW was running at, which would be seriously nuts since the promotion probably only rents the building.

19 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I notice one of the covers features a dude wielding a pipe wrench as he's standing over a pile of what appears to be the corpses of M.U.S.C.L.E wrestlers. I remember back in the day whenever pro wrestling was portrayed in cartoons like The Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead as well as some NES video games that I'm blanking on, wrench seemed to be the international object du jour. Where the hell does this come from though since I've never even seen a clip of somebody using a wrench as their implement to cause grievous bodily harm. Of course, if a wrench ever had been somebody's go-to international object it is like Trips' sledgehammer in being too over-the-top since it is compact and blunt enough to kill somebody with very little effort; something that isn't true of good old steel chairs and chains. Did the Sheik used to bust out a pipe wrench regularly? Now I wish wrench was one of weapons on No Mercy even though the weapons were all pretty useless in terms of damage.

wwe-jbl-bradshaw-apa-jakks-pacific-wrest

On 6/17/2016 at 4:24 PM, FluffSnackwell said:

I notice one of the covers features a dude wielding a pipe wrench as he's standing over a pile of what appears to be the corpses of M.U.S.C.L.E wrestlers. I remember back in the day whenever pro wrestling was portrayed in cartoons like The Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead as well as some NES video games that I'm blanking on, wrench seemed to be the international object du jour. Where the hell does this come from though since I've never even seen a clip of somebody using a wrench as their implement to cause grievous bodily harm. Of course, if a wrench ever had been somebody's go-to international object it is like Trips' sledgehammer in being too over-the-top since it is compact and blunt enough to kill somebody with very little effort; something that isn't true of good old steel chairs and chains. Did the Sheik used to bust out a pipe wrench regularly? Now I wish wrench was one of weapons on No Mercy even though the weapons were all pretty useless in terms of damage.

gfs_47016_2_16.jpg

• Like 7

I think it is time. The New Day is a fun gimmick but certainly has a ceiling and I don't think they are getting quite the reactions they were before. I didn't see them as a Dudleys type situation where they are in trouble if they aren't teaming, Big E should be moving up at least to the Owens/Zayn/Cesaro/Miz tier and Kofi/Xavier will always have a place as a tag or solid midcard wrestlers.

18 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I think it'd be horrible to split them up. There's no reason they can't stay together and have Big E in a singles push.

To draw the obvious parallel, gordy got a singles push as champ without having to break up the birds. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

To the tune of a broken orbital bone, I believe

Hide contents

tumblr_o4f30awcJs1sg99p0o1_500.jpg

I don't know whether Glen fucked up or Vader just thought he could take it. 

That pic is from after the fatal four way PPV.  I do believe you are correct on Vader's injury.

Big E would never get a push in WWE for a big singles championship with his current gimmick, it just isn't how WWE has ever run and I don't see it suddenly changing. They don't mind the goofiness in the midcard and clearly they like the New Day based on their title reign/TV time but if Big E wants to make a run at anything above the US title, he'd have to at least tone down the gimmick some and probably split away altogether. Someone may be able to pull an example out of their hat but I don't think Vince has ever had a wrestler with a comedic gimmick have a big title run, even in the goofy mid-90s days the goofier wrestlers tended to be midcard entertainment. Gordy may be one example of when the team stayed together but there are probably 50 examples of a tag team or group having to split up before the shining star of the group really got a chance to reach near the top of a promotion.

I like the New Day but I just don't see it as a long-term team in their current form, their shtick is funny and sells merchandise but I think they have topped out. If they are all happy (wrestlers and promotion) with them being a top tag team that sells lots of horns then everyone wins, but if any of them have aspirations of more it has to end or change before that will likely happen.