DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

This ties into what the WWE's biggest problem right now is. 

Whenever a true boom period started, it comes from someone who was doing their own thing and it caught fire, to the point it made people excited for them- then when lightning struck, the company captured it and rode it out for as long as it could go. 

By contrast now, the WWE wants to have a boom period to be popular in the mainstream again...but they want it ON WWE'S TERMS. If someone is catching fire that isn't a chosen one that WWE decided they want to catch fire, they'll do nothing with them and let it fail just because they'd rather fail with "their" guys then succeed with something they didn't plan on. 

• Like 2

I think the difference is that at the start of the Attitude Era, they were rebounding from financial doom and in a life and death struggle with WCW. Today they are in a much better position and that leads to their cavalier attitude regarding letting non chosen ones failing and riding out their chosen ones til the crowd is totally apathetic to them.

So on the idea of Goldust/Finn Balor team, that combo could be interesting especially if when Finn turns into the Demon, Gdust turns into the Natural Dustin Rhodes with ass kicking cowboy boots

At this point, Dustin looks sickly without the face paint. It really hides his age well.

• Like 1

I think that's also just the way that everything is today. Nothing in main stream media, old or new, really takes chances. Everything is safe. Even something like Netflix, which is more free than anything to really try new stuff, uses analytics to make their shows check off the boxes their data tells them. That's just the way things work today. Certainly not a WWE exclusive issue. Everything is so planned out and focus grouped. 

No network is going to take the chance on spending a bunch of money for a David Lynch type to make something like Twin Peaks in this era. And now, no one will give him money to make anything BUT Twin Peaks, because internet data has shown how popular it is on various streaming platforms. It's a strange time.

• Like 2

The problem for New Day right now is there's 5 months until MITB. So they have to stay relevant until then while being a three man group who can't win any singles titles because reasons. I think if they remain hot and move merch like they do, it's almost a guarantee Kofi wins MITB since the current main goal of New Day is to get Kofi the WWE WHC (so they can all share it) and it seems like something Vince might agree upon (no one's ever shared the WWE WHC before) even if Kofi holds the belt for a month before dropping it to John Cena or Roman Reigns. The only question is when Kofi wins does the side plates have the unicorn jumping over the rainbow, just a unicorn horn, or Francesca II

• Like 1

Kofi should've won MITB last year. Imagine how much better the last couple of months could've been if New Day was in the LON's spot (and the LON never existed).

I think nearly all of us have said this at one time or another:  they put the 2015 MITB on the one guy who could do nothing interesting with it.

Where does WWE go with New Day? They have beat every team in the company and are running laps now. NXT does not have any teams ready to move up or good enough. 

They will probably take on Swagger and Henry next. You might be able to turn the Ascension, but I don't think those guys are salvageable.

You could turn them face, but I'm not sure how you could do it without ruining the act. 

One sure feud would be vs Rowan and Harper. But they should hold off.. 

Big E, World Champion comes to mind.

I've been waiting for that. But it seems they have no interest in protecting him. Like having Brock eat him alive. I hope that is the direction they take.

Kofi should've won MITB last year. Imagine how much better the last couple of months could've been if New Day was in the LON's spot (and the LON never existed).

I think nearly all of us have said this at one time or another: they put the 2015 MITB on the one guy who could do nothing interesting with it.

When even 87 year old Kane is a better choice...

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone else agree with me that the LON is one of the worst stables in recent memory, if not ever? The individual pieces are fine, but they've established no reasons for them to band together, they don't complement each other at all, physically and wrestling-wise they're all very redundant, and not a single combination of the four has any chemistry whatsoever. The one guy (Barrett) who actually brings something unique to the table (promo skills) isn't even allowed to do that. It's about as lazy and low-effort a stable you can make. You have 4 midcard foreign heels who no one cares about, how is putting them together going to generate any value?

Rusev is the only one who appears to be putting any effort into anything, and he would be better off as his own act (in fact, I think he's dying for a face turn). Del Rio is best as a lone-wolf midcard heel. Sheamus/Barrett would've been a solid tag team combo, but Barrett getting hurt messed that up. Barrett shouldn't be on tv if he can't wrestle or he's not going to transition to announcer. Sheamus could still be the Kane replacement for the Authority I guess. All these guys being together makes each individual look worse instead of better, which is the exact opposite of what a stable is supposed to accomplish.

X-Factor was pretty much gone from my memory, which is more commentary on how uninteresting they were than abject shittiness. LoN is pretty much the same.

My vote for worst faction is the same as my vote for best faction: NWO. Best because they were the single largest factor in catapulting WCW to the top of the heap. Worst because they were the single largest factor in its eventual destruction, (albeit in that case it can be argued they were more symptom than disease)

X-Factor was good. The hate they got made no sense.

I don't know about good, but X-Pac/Albert was at least a sensible pairing as a grocery-store-brand knockoff Shawn/Diesel which automatically gives them more reason to exist than the LON. Justin Credible is eternally terrible, though, and his presence combined with this time period being peak X-Pac hate and having theme music by Uncle Kracker probably explains why they weren't remembered fondly.

• Like 1