DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

You really remember my posts from 10 years ago and how people felt about them? Weird.

If we can get back to 1998 Jericho for a sec, after rewatching all the stuff with Ralphus, I got really sad and uncomfortable. It's really mean spirited stuff about an ugly, overweight, dumb guy that everyone just took the time to shit on every week. Heels and faces. It's not funny. And it got even worse when Ralphus returned in 2000.

"You meet an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole. You meet assholes all day, and ten years later you're still meeting assholes all day..."

EDIT: As for Ralphus, dude was a truck driver who ended up on a deal (in that giant WCW contract list) making $750/night to do next to nothing. I cannot imagine the guy was unhappy with the arrangement.

You really remember my posts from 10 years ago and how people felt about them? Weird.

If we can get back to 1998 Jericho for a sec, after rewatching all the stuff with Ralphus, I got really sad and uncomfortable. It's really mean spirited stuff about an ugly, overweight, dumb guy that everyone just took the time to shit on every week. Heels and faces. It's not funny. And it got even worse when Ralphus returned in 2000.

Eh, Ralphus had a ball with it.  Jericho talks about Ralphus having groupies and becoming famous basically overnight.  He obviously thought it was funny enough that he played along.  I mean, he was a truck driver/ringcrew or something, so it's not like he would've been out of a job if he refused to do it.  Ralphus wagging his finger at people in the crowd who try to touch him will never not be funny.

Anything in 2000 is terrible.  Just terrible.

You need to hear Jerichos side about Ralphus banging tons of women and getting a big head backstage

Lol. What? I swear Ralphus is in the crowd at a PPV from the late 80s in WCW. I have a gif of him and some dude doing phantom elbows I want to say during a Midnight Express match. At least, I think it is him. It looks like Ralphus but 10 years younger and 60 pounds lighter.

It's so funny to me how wrestlers seem to remember everything that happens in their lives solely based on what city it happened in. I've noticed it listening to all the podcasts, most notably Ric Flair's. He can't even remember the names of most of the PPV events he competed at, but he has an encyclopedic memory of basically every match in his career and what city it took place in.

I'm a gimmick poster.

My gimmick just isn't over.  I'm being repacked soon,  My new username will be "Will Work for Cheap Heat".

(makes sad panda face)

Hey, aren't you that guy that confused Zack Ryder with Zack Sabre Jr?

• Like 1

It's so funny to me how wrestlers seem to remember everything that happens in their lives solely based on what city it happened in. I've noticed it listening to all the podcasts, most notably Ric Flair's. He can't even remember the names of most of the PPV events he competed at, but he has an encyclopedic memory of basically every match in his career and what city it took place in.

I could understand that in the territory era, as you worked in the same buildings every week, like pro athletes knowing their home stadiums/arenas.

A talking point for the masses:

Fans often talk about star power regarding all forms of entertainment, including wrestling.  And like movies and music, quality storytelling in wrestling is dependent on the material.  If Creative gives the wrestlers hot garbage to work with, I'm of the opinion that they'll get a hot mess. The in-ring work may be good and performers' natural charisma will often shine through, but they can overcome so much.

But a lot of fans feel different.  They think if a wrestler is a true star, they should be able to transcend any half-ass gimmick they're given or any shoddy booking they fall victim to.  That if they don't, they aren't a superstar and probably just a mid-carder.

I don't buy into that philosophy,  but I wonder what others think.  Should a wrestling star be better than their booking/writing, no matter what?  Or how much of that do you make the wrestler responsible for?

True talent does overcome shitty writing and booking, as shown repeatedly over the past 30 years. Some guys can be really good but not overcome booking. Some guys can not be hampered no matter what, and those guys end up being huge stars anywhere they go.

If you're a guy that just got punched once and pinned every night with no fanfare, you might actually get a Mikey Whipwreck cult following these days, so I think the potential always can show through the push.

That doesn't equal ever getting a push, though. Sometimes you're kind of just screwed no matter how much fans like you (pretty much everyone good in WCW with no push)

If you're a guy that just got punched once and pinned every night with no fanfare, you might actually get a Mikey Whipwreck cult following these days, so I think the potential always can show through the push.

That doesn't equal ever getting a push, though. Sometimes you're kind of just screwed no matter how much fans like you (pretty much everyone good in WCW with no push)

Anyone that is perceived as being "held down" will get over today, so a Mikey style gimmick would be seen as a guy being buried, so obviously he must actually be great. It's the same thing that happened with Ryder and Sandow, where they got big reactions when people thought they were being held down, but then realized both guys were decidedly average in the ring and would die down once they actually GOT what they were asking for.

Well, Samoa Joe was well booked in ROH, and wrestled great. He was booked well early in TNA, and Wrestled great. Then he was kidnapped by Ninjas in TNA, turned heel and face nonsensically for ages, became Taz's protege, drew a penis on his face and tried to knife Scott Steiner, joined a terrible faction with MVP and grew fat and lazy and unwatchably awful.

Then he left and got booked better, and his performances improved as well.

What happeneded to Sandow was he got over being Mizes "stunt double" got a huge reaction Mania during the Andre battle royal. I was there live and the place was ready for him to win the thing. Then his fued with Miz was underwhelming cuz he lost and they saddled him with the Randy Savage tribute act that he got over, but Hogan revealed himself to be a 60 year old redneck from Florida so they scraped the angle and kept Sandow off TV.

They give him shitty gimmicks and he gets them over. Then the powers to be decide that they don't want to run with them anymore. I'm not saying thT the dude should be in the main event but an IC or US title run could be fun if he's given the ball to run with.