DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

I feel like Del Rio would be better if he had a stable of people subservient. Like, when Sin Cara inevitably turns on Kalisto, have him unmask and join Del Rio. Then, when Del Rio and Hunicara team with a 3rd guy against los Matadores and Kalisto, have los Matadores unmask and burn their gimmicks to the ground, too. Then you have Del Rio, Hunico, Primo, & Epico. There's a midcard stable that at least makes sense.

The problem with the league of nations is they are a bunch of losers. They should change their name to the "League of I Dropped Multiple Falls to Cena/Reigns" ( LOIDMFTC/R for short).

You can't have the entire roster on a stable.

• Like 3

LON's greatest moment came before they were officially a stable, when Barrett did the rolling celebration into a hug from Rusev in the aisle. Second best LON moment: Rusev hugging Vince.

Maybe Rusev needs to hug more people to get the LON over. He's a lovable scamp, even if he let that Russian lady lead him down the wrong path. :)

• Like 1

I feel like Del Rio would be better if he had a stable of people subservient. Like, when Sin Cara inevitably turns on Kalisto, have him unmask and join Del Rio. Then, when Del Rio and Hunicara team with a 3rd guy against los Matadores and Kalisto, have los Matadores unmask and burn their gimmicks to the ground, too. Then you have Del Rio, Hunico, Primo, & Epico. There's a midcard stable that at least makes sense.

That's two people today calling for Russo-esque Seven promos to happen in modern day WWE, if you guys aren't counting.

• Like 1

Kofi should've won MITB last year. Imagine how much better the last couple of months could've been if New Day was in the LON's spot (and the LON never existed).

Which is why Kofi wins it this year, it's a staple of modern WWE booking, reward the super hot act one year after they should've done it in the first place

They really wasted Albert for two years. I was watching him in 99 and they could have done more with him. A big guy with great looking offense. Maybe not put him with Austin, but more than being Droz tattoo artist and getting put in drag by the Godfather. 

Even the team with Test should have been more than a vehicle to introduce Trish Stratus. Two huge guys with great offense should have been doing something. 

I wonder what the deal with Test was.From 99 to 2002, he would get these stop/start pushes. I heard Shane was a big supporter, but you get the sense someone really did not like him.

You could say the same about Mark Henry. He improved a great deal and was good by the time he was European champion. But before OVW he was jobbing to Kaientai on Metal.

I think the worst thing with WCW imploding is the WWF stopped caring about wasting their own time and money. 

Dave Meltzer, on why Lana has heat backstage, unleashed perhaps the most Meltzerian phrase ever uttered in the history of our sport:

"This was something wasn't it? I mean just everything, everything, everything, it's like man we're getting back at you [Lana (real name: C.J. Perry)] for everything now. But she got to be on TV. By the way, there was another thing that happened with her and I don't know all the details, but it has added to her legacy so to speak. Something happened where, you know, she said something. It's probably nothing except everyone is talking about it and essentially she's got the new round [of heat]. If people had calmed down about her and just said 'well, OK, she made a mistake,' well they haven't. I don't know if that played any part in this. I was just told about it tonight after the show and it was actually by someone who had not even watched the show, but had heard the story, just saying that like there's a new round of heat, everyone likes Rusev and there was something, and, you know, they are just mad at her again. They're not mad at him. Him doing the job tonight had nothing to do with it. They're not mad at him, but they're mad at her."
  • Like 4

Yes, it makes perfect sense that two Puerto Ricans would join their Mexican patrician overlord...

• Like 1

When fans would rather cheer Triple H than your top face and Vince Russo looks like an improvement as booker...

Vince Russo is actually making more sense on his podcast than WWE's booking, which is really scary. Like, I saw where he was talking about Kevin Owens and figured it would be a typical "Russo hates indie darlings" rant, but his idea for pushing Owens made more sense than what WWE has done so far.

Dave Meltzer, on why Lana has heat backstage, unleashed perhaps the most Meltzerian phrase ever uttered in the history of our sport:

"This was something wasn't it? I mean just everything, everything, everything, it's like man we're getting back at you [Lana (real name: C.J. Perry)] for everything now. But she got to be on TV. By the way, there was another thing that happened with her and I don't know all the details, but it has added to her legacy so to speak. Something happened where, you know, she said something. It's probably nothing except everyone is talking about it and essentially she's got the new round [of heat]. If people had calmed down about her and just said 'well, OK, she made a mistake,' well they haven't. I don't know if that played any part in this. I was just told about it tonight after the show and it was actually by someone who had not even watched the show, but had heard the story, just saying that like there's a new round of heat, everyone likes Rusev and there was something, and, you know, they are just mad at her again. They're not mad at him. Him doing the job tonight had nothing to do with it. They're not mad at him, but they're mad at her."

There's an ridiculous number of commas in that paragraph.  Dave has never met a run-on sentence he didn't like.

• Like 1

hAEY3Ddm.jpg

• Like 1

Kofi should've won MITB last year. Imagine how much better the last couple of months could've been if New Day was in the LON's spot (and the LON never existed).

I think nearly all of us have said this at one time or another: they put the 2015 MITB on the one guy who could do nothing interesting with it.

When even 87 year old Kane is a better choice...

Kane was in my Top 2 of who should have gotten the briefcase.  He was starting to feud with Rollins already, so to give him MITB would have allowed him another outlet to harass Rollins and have HHH/Steph scrambling to appease/bribe/force Kane into not cashing in on Seth.  Not saying he should have become WHC, but they could have gotten some good run with MITB Kane.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but I just sort of feel like the MITB concept has sort of run it's course-- this, despite the fact, that the surprise cash-in/paying of the dollars always gets a big pop to this day. I just think it's impossible to sustain without making sure it's given to the right guy, and having a plan for that guy. For every logical win by Edge, Rollins, or Ziggler, there's a Sheamus or a Sandow in there too that leaves the creative team, the wrestlers, and the fans all standing there with their dicks in their hands wondering "what now?"

• Like 1

When fans would rather cheer Triple H than your top face and Vince Russo looks like an improvement as booker...

Vince Russo is actually making more sense on his podcast than WWE's booking, which is really scary. Like, I saw where he was talking about Kevin Owens and figured it would be a typical "Russo hates indie darlings" rant, but his idea for pushing Owens made more sense than what WWE has done so far.

Here is the thing though. All those fuckers, Russo, Hall, Nash, Bischoff, Hogan, Fererra. They all talk a great game and if you listen to interviews with all of them from about 1998 on they make sense and they sound reasonable. The problem is the chasm between talking and doing is a NASA project. 

• Like 2

I think they've done a pretty good job with KO, considering the vast majority had no clue who he was before last Summer and now he's a featured player who can be plugged into any spot on the card, get great reactions, selling a ton of merch, and feuding with pretty much everyone on the roster. The only way he could have been booked any better was an immediate hot shot to the championship.

While I'm thinking about it, does anyone else agree with me that the LON is one of the worst stables in recent memory, if not ever? The individual pieces are fine, but they've established no reasons for them to band together, they don't complement each other at all, physically and wrestling-wise they're all very redundant, and not a single combination of the four has any chemistry whatsoever. The one guy (Barrett) who actually brings something unique to the table (promo skills) isn't even allowed to do that. It's about as lazy and low-effort a stable you can make. You have 4 midcard foreign heels who no one cares about, how is putting them together going to generate any value?

The bolded part was really driven home in the Rumble, when Rusev hit his big kick on Reigns... then Del Rio hit his big kick on Reigns... then Sheamus hit his big kick on Reigns.