DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

What happeneded to Sandow was he got over being Mizes "stunt double" got a huge reaction Mania during the Andre battle royal. I was there live and the place was ready for him to win the thing. Then his fued with Miz was underwhelming cuz he lost and they saddled him with the Randy Savage tribute act that he got over, but Hogan revealed himself to be a 60 year old redneck from Florida so they scraped the angle and kept Sandow off TV.

They give him shitty gimmicks and he gets them over. Then the powers to be decide that they don't want to run with them anymore. I'm not saying thT the dude should be in the main event but an IC or US title run could be fun if he's given the ball to run with.

Sandow was super over for almost all of the angle with Miz. Particularly in tags, when crowds would be begging for him to get tagged in. He'd get the tag, fans would pop, and then die because he wasn't interesting in the ring. They wanted him because they were being told they couldn't have him. The less he's used, the more over he'll be, which is pretty unfortunate for his bank account.

What happeneded to Sandow was he got over being Mizes "stunt double" got a huge reaction Mania during the Andre battle royal. I was there live and the place was ready for him to win the thing. Then his fued with Miz was underwhelming cuz he lost and they saddled him with the Randy Savage tribute act that he got over, but Hogan revealed himself to be a 60 year old redneck from Florida so they scraped the angle and kept Sandow off TV.

They give him shitty gimmicks and he gets them over. Then the powers to be decide that they don't want to run with them anymore. I'm not saying thT the dude should be in the main event but an IC or US title run could be fun if he's given the ball to run with.

Sandow was super over for almost all of the angle with Miz. Particularly in tags, when crowds would be begging for him to get tagged in. He'd get the tag, fans would pop, and then die because he wasn't interesting in the ring. They wanted him because they were being told they couldn't have him. The less he's used, the more over he'll be, which is pretty unfortunate for his bank account.

IMO.

It's too bad thats theres no more Velocity or Sunday Night Heat cuz Sandow would be a perfect color commentator IMO.

He could have been a lot more successful had he been able to pull it together any anytime between 2005 and 2010. By the time he got called up, the in ring style and quality had passed him by to the point where his charisma wouldn't be enough to overcome it.

It's so funny to me how wrestlers seem to remember everything that happens in their lives solely based on what city it happened in. I've noticed it listening to all the podcasts, most notably Ric Flair's. He can't even remember the names of most of the PPV events he competed at, but he has an encyclopedic memory of basically every match in his career and what city it took place in.

i remember getting a WWF trivia game back in 1999ish. the vast majority of the questions asked 'what city did ___ happen in?' i had no idea the city, but could give the date and event name.

made me realize that to a viewer, you only care when they're in your town. or somewhere like Canada, because that's Bizarro-Land. But all the Raws look the same, so who gives a shit what the city is?

but to the wrestlers, who have to actually travel to the towns, and find gyms and hotels, it makes a lot of difference, and you probably have cities that you love and cities that you hate. Who cares if it's a SmackDown or a Raw or a PPV? you're (theoretically) giving your best performance regardless.

If you're a guy that just got punched once and pinned every night with no fanfare, you might actually get a Mikey Whipwreck cult following these days, so I think the potential always can show through the push.

That doesn't equal ever getting a push, though. Sometimes you're kind of just screwed no matter how much fans like you (pretty much everyone good in WCW with no push)

Anyone that is perceived as being "held down" will get over today, so a Mikey style gimmick would be seen as a guy being buried, so obviously he must actually be great. It's the same thing that happened with Ryder and Sandow, where they got big reactions when people thought they were being held down, but then realized both guys were decidedly average in the ring and would die down once they actually GOT what they were asking for.

Yeah...no....

Ryder was getting over on his own, then they pushed him finally, he won the US title against Ziggler, was super over...but then:

Ryder was punished and used as cannon fodder for a shitty Kane/Cena feud, lost his newly won US Title in a squash, then squashed again and again by Kane, and then not used anymore.

And he had some of the worst scripted stuff ever used on a wrestler...

Yeah, but when Chris Masters was having the best WWE match of the week, every week on Superstars, Ryder was also on those showa. And his matches were pretty much all terrible.

It's funny how almost everyone was over to some degree during the late 90's, regardless of in ring talent. If a guy is a great character but only really good as a tag team guy, ummm, make him that.

Only the absolute tippy top guys can overcome shitty booking, particularly if it is long term.

• Like 1

It's partly the perception of being held down, but it's also the fact that WWE doesn't always maximize the potential of their midcarders like they have in decades past. There were a lot of crappy things about the attitude era, but at least the midcard had shit going on. I was at a smackdown taping once where they accidentally played DLo Brown's music for a local guy having a dark match who had the same last name, and as Pat Patterson would say, the place went banana. I can't see that happening in 10 years with today's midcarders.

• Like 1

I believe Bo Dallas wets himself down so much before matches to hide his genetic hyperhidrosis inherited from his father, the world's most sweatiest man, Irwin R. Shyster. 

AGB3Jya.gif

I'm more impressed that someone took the time to make a gif dedicated to Mike Rotundo's sweat. 

I believe Bo Dallas wets himself down so much before matches to hide his genetic hyperhidrosis inherited from his father, the world's most sweatiest man, Irwin R. Shyster. 

AGB3Jya.gif

King Fale likes to have a word with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOl3nEmS6Bs

...what the fuck has Fale been eating in the past few years? 

I'm more impressed that someone took the time to make a gif dedicated to Mike Rotundo's sweat. 

Every gif of Rotundo is dedicated to his sweat.

Isn't the problem that WWE has no idea what to do when something gets over organically?

Like when a Ryder or Sandow gets over, the knock against them might be that they're not great in the ring, or perhaps their characters or one-dimensional. And even if this is true, they are over at a time when no one is over. You don't have to put them in the main event. You don't even need to put them in the US title picture. But it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to try to make use of them in some way. 

I even look at something like the New Day and feel like WWE knows they have something but are utterly clueless how to make money off of them. It's almost like they can't get past the fact that they envisioned them as tag-team and made them heels. Thus, your hottest act in the company is stuck in a division no one cares about giving face style promos.

• Like 2

To be fair, New Day started out as faces - the crowd turned them. Now they shift merch, and WWE doesn't want to risk doing a babyface turn on them - this is understandable. If they turned babyface, who would they face - Social Outcasts? If New Day faced the Wyatts, as some have suggested, Wyatts would either need to sell their promos (making them look silly), or not sell them (making New Day look silly). I understand the argument that New Day have HHH'd out the tag-team division, but it ain't like Xavier doesn't take a whooping every few weeks or that they've damaged anyone worth caring about (And I was a fan of the PTP).

New Day are making money, those unicorn horns are selling big - they're selling dickhead devices for fuck's sake. From a trad wrestling POV their booking is sub-optimal, but not from a 2016 making money POV.

• Like 1

Your second point seems to contradict the first point a bit. I think WWE saying "fuck it, we don't know what to do with you, just go out there and do whatever" has worked out best for everyone involved. People might not care about the tag division, but they do care about New Day, so I'd say they're fine.

After watching them with The Rock, it's clear to me that The New Day should be destined for more. Sure they're mostly a comedy act, but doing comedy never hindered Edge & Christian, Foley, Jericho, Rock himself, Angle, even Austin toward the end of his run.

I can't remember who here said it (so if you're reading this, please take credit) but all I could think of on Monday was "Did anyone feel like there were too many extra characters on The New Day Show this week?"

I would expect that they'll get a big match at Fastlane or WM, and then play a bigger role in main storylines in the post-WM months. I don't think they're getting a long ass segment with The Rock if there weren't plans or at least faith in them to do more than be a mid card tag team.

• Like 1

Let's be honest, when something does get over organically and WWE tries to capitalise, they fuck it up and go overboard like they did when Fandango's music got over.

"LOOK EVERYBODY, ITS CALLED FANDANGO-ING, ITS REALLY COOL AND RAD!"

• Like 1