DVDVR Message Board

November 2015 Wrestling Discussion

OSJ

Not that I disagree, but I'm not sure I get Xavier's argument. You don't get bread when you buy a pound of roast beef at a delicatessen or a bunch of chop meat from a butcher to make burgers

I'm gonna be really angry if Ambrose turns heel. Some people don't like his ring work, and I respect that, but he's the only truly cool, dangerous, unpredictable babyface they have left right now.

was watching some '97 WCW, and they were building towards a Madusa vs. Akira Hokuto match. it made me realize that Madusa tossed the WWF Women's Title in the garbage on live tv, but then she never won the WCW Women's Title. granted, it didn't mean much, but that is really quite an oversight. she should've been the champ. and for more reasons than she was the only one that spoke English and could cut a promo.

i mean, i guess a couple of years (and operations) later she won the cruiserweight title, but that's an entire different world. missed opportunity, i say.

Not that I disagree, but I'm not sure I get Xavier's argument. You don't get bread when you buy a pound of roast beef at a delicatessen or a bunch of chop meat from a butcher to make burgers

I have no context whatsoever, so seeing the quote above in a 'wrestling thread' is extremely confusing.

Does anyone remember who did an American Taliban gimmick in the indys?  I seem to recall someone doing that in.... Resistance Pro, I think?  I want to say it was Jake O'Neill who turned heel, grew dreadlocks and started tagging up with someone doing a Muslim gimmick, but google and Cagematch aren't helping me out.  Does any of this sound familiar?

Beyond Wrestling News: ‪#‎RAWlternative‬ 11/9/15 Lineup

rawlternative.jpg?resize=588%2C172

Beyond Wrestling: Complete ‪#‎RAWlternative‬ 11/9/15 Lineup:

– Attack! Pro Wrestling – Mark Andrews vs. Pete Dunne

– Empress Pro – Female Pro Wrestling – Kay Lee Ray vs. Addy Starr vs. Chardonnay

– Fight Club: PRO – The Hunter Brothers (Lee & Jim Hunter) vs. The Wolves (Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards)

– International Pro Wrestling United Kingdom – Jimmy Havoc vs. Sammy Smooth

– PCW – Preston City Wrestling – Dave Mastiff vs. Adam Cole

– PROGRESS Wrestling – Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Tommaso Ciampa

– SWE – Southside Wrestling Entertainment – Will Ospreay vs. Roderick Strong

– TIDAL Wrestling – El Ligero vs. Rich Swann

– Westside Xtreme Wrestling (wXw) – Big Daddy Walter, Hot & Spicy (Axel Dieter Jr. & Da Mack) vs. Cerberus (Robert Dreissker, Julian Nero, Ilja Dragunov) with Adam Pölak

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/3rp3ij/i_run_beyond_wrestling_rawlternative_ask_me/

https://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondWrestling

WWE just tweeted about AJ Styles being one of those surprising names that had previously competed there. Is something up?

Probably not. They've run a dotcom article on the same thing before.

Ya its up on front page of wwe.com now under a "Stars you didn't know were in WWE" article. Still, weird.

I was just looking at a table of the history of RAW ratings from the beginning until now. Obviously the ratings started to rise a little bit in '97 and into '98 and by '99-'01 they were massive but a couple things I found interesting. 

- 2001 after WrestleMania the ratings fell off a huge chunk almost immediately. The Rock and Austin were still full time, I was a teenager so I'm not really having these discussions but my friends and I actually liked the Invasion angle. It sucked there was no Sting or Flair etc. but I guess everyone else really hated it.  I thought the RAW were ECW reforms and Heyman goes off on JR was great.  Steph's involvement sucked.

- 2002 the ratings don't really go up much after Hogan comes in. I think at one point SD! is beating RAW. Makes sense. I've been rewatching a lot of SD!'s from the Heyman era and beyond and it's a great show.

- The ratings level off until around 2007.  Eddie passing away and Benoit murders have to be the cause for the second big decline. I didn't quite realize that killed off wrestling for so many people.

- For some reason around the start of the decade the ratings went back up some but I can't figure out why.  Then they go back down again but I can attribute that to adding the third hour and then so many other options and DVR and high speed internet etc.

Crossing over from another thread, but WWE needs to retire Money In The Bank for a few years.

Yep means as much as being King of the Ring. Appropriate actually that Barrett and Sheamus have tagged up recently.

I think they are similar in that its not going to single handily change someone's career.

I think it did more for Owen Hart than any other winner, because he had a hot angle that fed into winning King Of The Ring. 

Austin's win was memorable because it gave him the big coronation speech. 

I've been watching 93 Raw and am now into 94 and I think they wasted Mabel for a long time. He was losing way too often for a man that big going into the heel turn. 

Triple H winning lead him into his first feud with Foley. 

They should put MITB on hiatus or turn the case into the hardcore title.

MITB is still good as long as it's on the right person. It helped Seth Rollins immensely as recently as last year. It's the most-protected and credible prop WWE has. You could make a pretty good case that means more than all the belts except the main one and the Rumble. Nothing says "this guy is now a big deal" like holding that briefcase. It's basically what the Rumble meant until the mid 2000s, and the rise of MITB in the same timeframe is no coincidence.

I know Sheamus holding the case is terrible, but that's a problem with him, not the concept of MITB itself. The list of successes with the case is a lot longer than the list of failures.

MITB wouldn't be bad if it were "winner gets a title shot at XXX" as opposed to the "cash it in at any time" thing. Say the briefcase has a contract in it for a main event title shot on one of the higher-profile PPVs or something like that.

I think Vince thinks that having the title technically up for grabs 24/7 makes every episode of every show can't-miss TV.