DVDVR Message Board

Rest in Peace to the legend, Dusty Rhodes

I want to see that clip of him asking for Dustin to be his pahtnah, but I can't bring myself to do it.  At least while at work.  It's going to be a really painful viewing.  Also am planning on seeing the 6-man tag he had with his sons.  That was such a great thrill for them and no matter what's happened to Dustin/Cody they can say they were able to do that.  Somebody mentioned how Dusty saw Dustin work sober and kicking ass, and I'd toss in he also saw Cody get married.  My heart goes out those two as I could only imagine how they're doing.

Speaking of Cody, he can't possibly be a heel Stardust anymore.  He's either going to need to turn face or go back to Cody (maybe do an alter ego thing, I don't know)  It's kind of similar to Chavo when Eddie died.  Not long before that he was Kerwin White, and after the death it was only natural to ditch that and turn him face.  But that could change things for sure.

I am in very deep shock just like many around the world.

I started following Dusty's Career back in the Mid-Late 70's

I will always remember his amazing promos, His feuds with Terry Funk, Kevin Sullivan, Abdullah The Butcher, Ric Flair, Superstar Billy Graham, wow the list goes on & on.

My Deepest Condolences to Dustin and Cody and the whole Runnels Family.

I had an all day retreat today and Victor left me a message that I saw at lunchtime. I'm just not dealing with this today. I'll process it tomorrow and after that. I'm not even reading the thread now. I'm not ready to face it.

RIP American Dream. One of the all time greats for sure. Always loved when he'd get involved in recent years,the Bionic Elbow to Ambrose was a great moment of a great feud/angle. Hadn't realized the Orton bullrope match at GAB 07 was his final match.

Also, I'm with everybody on the greatness of Dusty as an in-ring performer and in particular a promo, but Dusty was my favourite guy on commentary as a kid because of his passion, his sense of humor, and ability to connect and engage with the audience over when something big is about to happen. Half of what made those Sting beatdowns of the nWo so memorable was Dusty yelling "GO GET 'EM, KID!"

Dustyisms my friends and I still bring up and laugh over:

-plundah

-baicycle

-dual deals (referring to the split screen for the hardcore tag team brawls)

-his back and forth with Heenan over the outhouse/penthouse line

-laughing and butchering the "dragon screw leg whip" when Tenay busted that one out during an Ultimo match

I'm sure there are many more special calls that I'm forgetting now, but even just as a commentator, Dusty was and forever will be a big part of my fandom and childhood.

• Like 3

Also, I'm with everybody on the greatness of Dusty as an in-ring performer and in particular a promo, but Dusty was my favourite guy on commentary as a kid because of his passion, his sense of humor, and ability to connect and engage with the audience over when something big is about to happen. Half of what made those Sting beatdowns of the nWo so memorable was Dusty yelling "GO GET 'EM, KID!"

Dustyisms my friends and I still bring up and laugh over:

-plundah

-baicycle

-dual deals (referring to the split screen for the hardcore tag team brawls)

-his back and forth with Heenan over the outhouse/penthouse line

-laughing and butchering the "dragon screw leg whip" when Tenay busted that one out during an Ultimo match

I'm sure there are many more special calls that I'm forgetting now, but even just as a commentator, Dusty was and forever will be a big part of my fandom and childhood.

I will drop a PAY WINDAH now and again. Clubberin' is also as far as I'm concerned an acceptable word.

I loved his commentary, and the reason goes back to a thing we've all heard a million times. "If you love your job you'll never work a day in your life", to me that sums up Dusty Rhodes to the core. He absolutely loved his life, he loved what he was doing, and he had a huge personality that let that shine through and we all felt it with him.

"Today I lost one of my greatest opponents and greatest friends. He was the definition of heart and soul and I’m honored to have shared the ring with him countless times.

"He became the 'American Dream' because wrestling needed a hero they could respect, and he was the man for the job. Dusty Rhodes, I will miss you my mentor and friend." - Ric Flair

I will drop a PAY WINDAH now and again. Clubberin' is also as far as I'm concerned an acceptable word.

I loved his commentary, and the reason goes back to a thing we've all heard a million times. "If you love your job you'll never work a day in your life", to me that sums up Dusty Rhodes to the core. He absolutely loved his life, he loved what he was doing, and he had a huge personality that let that shine through and we all felt it with him.

And the woman in the men's room was another classic Dusty commentary moment.

You nailed it. Much like David Crockett and Vampiro in Lucha Underground, Dusty's commentary was similar to that of a fan's. He was sitting there not as a corporate shill but as a man who loved professional wrestling and enjoyed calling it. He's better than those aforementioned two because of his insane, off-the-charts charisma.

Another classic Dusty non-wrestler moment: his sneaking into the ring during to lay a Dream Elbow on Sting when he was managing Scott Hall at Uncensored 1998.

• Like 2