DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

One thing I always noticed: Whether Hogan was a face or heel, he would sometimes grab a sign from a fan and mug for the camera with it, then toss it to the ground Like trash. I thought it was hilarious when red and yellow late 80s/early 90s Hogan did that. Like you couldn't hand the kid his sign back? Those WrestleMania aisles were long even back then and he'd toss it a good 50 ft from the poor kid

• Like 2

From an entertainment standpoint, perhaps. But if you were Dustin, which company do you think you would prefer doing shitty angles for?

Let's see.. Get paid to work one day a month like you there every day of several months because you are an ex-WWE superstar or actually work every day of several months to get paid because the WWE requires you to work more than one day a month..

Rasstlin' fans think to hard about this kind of shit.

Christian was in TNA at the same time. He was likely paid more than Dustin, and was definitely treated as a much bigger deal. But when it came time to do a quick, non-wrestling return to the company to make good on the Flair-HOF deal, he reportedly had to be forced to go because he didn't want to do it. It's not always a paradise for ex-WWE guys.

Besides, does Dustin seem like the kind of guy who really worries about getting an easy schedule? Even fat, drugged-out Dustin worked his ass off every night.

From the recent Monday Night War episode:

Hogan says that he had creative control and says he never used it until this occasion (against JJ at BATB 2000)

Trolololololol!

Hulk obviously listened to the advice George gave Jerry before Jerry took a lie detector test. "It's not a lie if you believe it."

• Like 2

Dusty was perfect calling some of those Nasty Boys/Public Enemy no DQ matches. "He's clubbering him with the plundah, Tony! Clubbering him with the plundah!!!"

Not sure I need Dusty calling every match on a show, but toss him out there for an Ascention squash match, and I'd probably laugh my ass off.

Probably my favorite Dusty call was Stevie Ray getting hit with a trashcan lid and he falls like a tree; Dusty laughs *hysterically* and says "HE JUST LAID HIS TIRED OL' ASS OUT!!!" For a minute both him and Tony have to try and stop laughing and get their bearings.

• Like 1

Hogan says that he had creative control and says he never used it until this occasion (against JJ at BATB 2000)

Trolololololol!
This is in the WCW OMG Moments DVD as well, absolutely hysterical. Especially if you're listening to Kevin Sullivan's MLW podcast where he goes through WCW bookings week-by-week and explains how Hogan was.

Hogan's creative control gave Savage the WCW title because Randy had split with Liz and The Hulkster "gave" him the title to bury any heat between him and Randy. Hogan's creative control created The Renegade who Hogan wanted to be called Warrior (until TBS legal killed it). Hogan's creative control allowed Flair and Savage to get the title but never to be shown as strong champions because Hogan would eventually reclaim his belt... whenever he got back from filming a movie.

Trolololololol!

This is in the WCW OMG Moments DVD as well, absolutely hysterical. Especially if you're listening to Kevin Sullivan's MLW podcast where he goes through WCW bookings week-by-week and explains how Hogan was.

Hogan's creative control gave Savage the WCW title because Randy had split with Liz and The Hulkster "gave" him the title to bury and heat between him and Randy. Hogan's creative control created The Renegade who Hogan wanted to be called Warrior (until TBS legal killed it). Hogan's creative control allowed Flair and Savage to get the title but never to be shown as strong champions because Hogan would eventually reclaim his belt... whenever he got back from filming a movie.

Worse friend to have, Hulk Hogan or John Cena?

Probably my favorite Dusty call was Stevie Ray getting hit with a trashcan lid and he falls like a tree; Dusty laughs *hysterically* and says "HE JUST LAID HIS TIRED OL' ASS OUT!!!" For a minute both him and Tony have to try and stop laughing and get their bearings.

I think the thing that really kills commentary these days is they rather state the obvious than give a reaction. If Dust was calling when those guys got fired, he would've called them everything but a quitter for taking that shit.

Beefcake and Knobbs basically made their careers by being friends with the Hulkster, brother. As long as you're content to stay in the shadows, and don't get any crazy notions of trying to steal Hollywood's spotlight, the Immortal one will do right by you. Plus, if you're getting your ass handed to you, he will come to your rescue, if only to get some of that sweet, sweet spotlight.

Cena won't help you when you're in need (and usually being friends with him is the reason you're in need), he'll make out with your crush, he'll take a title match against you on the same night you won the title, he has excessively strict rules about laundering, makes shit jokes all the time. Just a lousy human being all round.

• Like 10

On the flip side, who is the best friend to have in wrestling? I'm going with 80's/90's Flair. He threw killer parties, had tons of chicks around, doesn't care about spending money so he probably gave awesome Christmas/birthday gifts like outrageous fur coats and he was generally too busy turning on Sting to dick over anyone else who was on his side. Plus even though you probably weren't going to get a World title shot, you would always be in line for the tv, US or tag-titles.

• Like 1

On the flip side, who is the best friend to have in wrestling? I'm going with 80's/90's Flair. He threw killer parties, had tons of chicks around, doesn't care about spending money so he probably gave awesome Christmas/birthday gifts like outrageous fur coats and he was generally too busy turning on Sting to dick over anyone else who was on his side. Plus even though you probably weren't going to get a World title shot, you would always be in line for the tv, US or tag-titles.

I won't argue with the rest of that, but the bolded line? Ole and Luger would disagree.

And even if you were a jobber like George South you could count on Flair to make you look like a million bucks in a match every once in a blue moon. Flair and Hogan are like how Foley viewed Terry Funk and Tiger Jeet Singh -- the former always gave, the latter always took.