DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner? Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Do time limit draws count towards this? There are a ton of great time limit draws.

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner? Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Do time limit draws count towards this? There are a ton of great time limit draws.

I suppose they do.  The unstated context though is that it's been reported that Cena-Bryan is supposed to be an attempt to produce an epic match and I am wondering if they can do an epic, five-star match with a non-finish (not some run-in causing a DQ) that inevitably leads to a rematch.  What's the best title match that ends in a double-pin resulting in the title being held up?  Imagine Randy Orton coming out to cash in his briefcase in that scenario and being confused as to who he should attack.

Only a month or so ago I read a short interview with Alex Wright and he said he was training to get back in the ring(guy isn't even 40 yet) so let's hope it happens!

I am kind of an Alex Wright fan. He was a fun traditional babyface and great at fighting underneath. I don't know why he never got a better push as a mid-card face, maybe as part of the Cruiserweight division in WCW.

By '95, he's fodder for heels on Nitro. Though even in this state, he somehow got a fun three-minute match out of Loch Ness by spending two-and-a-half of those minutes on offense and trying to chop Ness down before getting caught in early '96 on Nitro. Dude was underutilized. 

I suppose they do.  The unstated context though is that it's been reported that Cena-Bryan is supposed to be an attempt to produce an epic match and I am wondering if they can do an epic, five-star match with a non-finish (not some run-in causing a DQ) that inevitably leads to a rematch.  What's the best title match that ends in a double-pin resulting in the title being held up?  Imagine Randy Orton coming out to cash in his briefcase in that scenario and being confused as to who he should attack.

I think, if this counts, the Rock/Mankind LMS where they do the Superman/Doomsday finish with chair shots is my personal favorite that I can think of, at least off the top of my head. 

I could almost see a double-knockout finish. They do the big super-epic match, like 50 minutes. Finish comes down to either Bryan No Lock or Cena STF... long, huge struggle, guy on the business end passes out from the pain without tapping (or maybe he does tap if you throw in a ref bump) and the guy applying it passes out from the stress of trying to keep the other guy locked in. Ref counts both guys out. Then cue Orton.

Austin/Angle at SummerSlam in my opinion it's Angles best match ever and dude should have been a huge face for the company star after that (plus 9/11 happened just weeks later how did Angle not become the Hulk Hogan of the new century).

Because he's an insane drug addict?

• Like 3

Austin/Angle at SummerSlam in my opinion it's Angles best match ever and dude should have been a huge face for the company star after that (plus 9/11 happened just weeks later how did Angle not become the Hulk Hogan of the new century).

Because he's an insane drug addict?

In retrospect, Hulk Hogan was an insane drug addict and he did pretty well for himself.

• Like 3

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner?  Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Scott & Rick Steiner vs Bret & Owen Hart - WrestleFest '94
  • Like 1

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner?  Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

A case could probably be made for the Steiners vs. Sting & Luger at Superbrawl '91, which did have a finish but not a clean one.

A case could probably be made for the Steiners vs. Sting & Luger at Superbrawl '91, which did have a finish but not a clean one.

Sting was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, ok?

• Like 4

I'll believe it when I see it in the schedules. That press release states viewing figures of 18 million for Daddy vs. Haystacks. If that's accurate, it was a shade under a third of the entire population of the UK. I remember it being a big deal, but not THAT big a deal.

I don't know if it is a hoax or not, but I just saw some news about Disco Inferno online... will update if I see legit confirmation.

When you posted this I thought it was something wacky like he got a sex change. Still holding out for that instead of what twitter is saying.

On the flipside...if they were to do that, would WWE be stupid and/or clever and/or really, really stupid enough to go with the outside loophole [or even if it "could" be done from that result:

Cena/Bryan has a big title match. It ends in a double-pin. The title gets held up.

Right as it's announced the title's held up, Orton then heads into the ring, then hands the referee his briefcase, then takes the WWE Title, announcing that, if the title's been held up, then no one is the champion- and as a result, he's officially cashed in his MITB title shot on WWE champion "No One" in order to be allowed to be awarded the vacant title without a match.

• Like 1

Who would you rather have drive for you, Kurt Angle or Jerry Lawler?

In Golf?  I'd take Angle because it would be hilarious.

Watching him try to get his arms the close together and lower his head.  And then try to to stand still long enough to focus on that tiny little golf ball.

It would be amazing.