DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

HOLY SHIT YOU NAILED IT! I knew he looked like something creepy I'd seen before!

Posted Image

I couldn't find a pic of him freaking out smiling in the window so this is as good as it gets

www.campblood.net/gallery/albums/uploads/DVD_Stills/Pt3/cap127.jpg

EDIT: For some reason the board isn't accepting the "image" code when I put it in, but that's what you were looking for.

Was watching Impact this week (Not that I'm singling TNA out, WWE are just as guilty for this) and a thought struck me.  How bizarre is it, from a kayfabe standpoint, that on modern professional wrestling, you'll get an entrance, followed by an interview, interrupted by another entrance going into a match and they cut to commercial DURING THE MATCH!?  It would be like watching NFL football, watching Tom Brady give stock answers, the two teams taking the field, the punter lines up to kick and they cut to commercials and come back in the middle of the next play.  I know it's a by-product of prime-time TV, but it's still really weird when you think about it, isn't it!?

What bothers me most about that is for WWE, it always goes:*Wrestler is knocked/thrown out of the ring.*COLE: Can *wrestler* get back in it? Find out when we come back!EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
  • Like 5

Was watching Impact this week (Not that I'm singling TNA out, WWE are just as guilty for this) and a thought struck me.  How bizarre is it, from a kayfabe standpoint, that on modern professional wrestling, you'll get an entrance, followed by an interview, interrupted by another entrance going into a match and they cut to commercial DURING THE MATCH!?  It would be like watching NFL football, watching Tom Brady give stock answers, the two teams taking the field, the punter lines up to kick and they cut to commercials and come back in the middle of the next play.  I know it's a by-product of prime-time TV, but it's still really weird when you think about it, isn't it!?

What bothers me most about that is for WWE, it always goes:*Wrestler is knocked/thrown out of the ring.*COLE: Can *wrestler* get back in it? Find out when we come back!EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
A few years ago my roomie at the time and I noticed this and started changing the channel when a guy got tossed to the floor.
  • Like 2

from today's Observer update:

--If you would like King Kong Bundy to appear at your house for a party and live in New Jersey, particularly on a Monday to watch Raw, he is looking for gigs. Can be Raw parties, PPV parties, birthday parties, weddings, BBQ parties

They should mix it up by going to commercial occasionally just as Wrestler A is rolling up Wrestler B for a pin attempt.

I remember noticing that early on too. The moment Cole's voice suddenly changed a pitch, we knew it was going to break. However, it actually makes sense there both in a real and kayfabe way. The company knows they need to take an ad break, so when there's a temporary lull in the match, they quickly shoot to break.

I feel like WWE taking a break during a match only started happening about 10 years ago, right? I don't remember it during the attitude days, at least during non-main event matches. It's entirely likely that matches were much shorter then though.

• Like 2

If they really want to push the WWE app, they should have matches end during the break. 

"During the break, CM Punk slapped on the Anaconda Vice, but Heath Slater counted with a submission of his own, which you would have seen if you were using the WWE app.  Now, let's show you the conclusion of the match after that happened."

• Like 1

Off the top o my head, UWF TV was the only time i can remember a match ending during a commercial and then showing what happened when they came back from the break.

WCW did it for the finals of their US Title tournament around 93 or so. IIRC, Steamboat beat Rhodes by CO.

Off the top o my head, UWF TV was the only time i can remember a match ending during a commercial and then showing what happened when they came back from the break.

WCW did it for the finals of their US Title tournament around 93 or so. IIRC, Steamboat beat Rhodes by CO.

Wasn't it the other way around?

Quite likely. Wasn't Rude involved?

Quite likely. Wasn't Rude involved?

I remember Rude and Dustin feuding for the US title, so that sounds right.

Watching old WCW lately I noticed that they just went straight into the breaks, with Tony saying each time "The tape machines are rolling, if the match ends during the break we'll show you the results," and it was a great touch. WWE doesn't even try to pretend the match might end unexpectedly, they're just like "Here's the dramatic moment that occurs in every one of our matches, we'll be right back with more of this match because we booked it to have a commercial break in the middle of it since wrestling is fake."

If your product makes Tony Schiavone's commentary look good by comparison, your product might be awful.

Yeah, this is something that peeves the hell out of me, and I noticed it on this week's Impact too.  They just had like 20 minutes of bullshitting in the ring and pretape inserts, then they go to break as soon as the action starts.  The analogy to the NFL cutting away at the kickoff is spot on. Things like this are why people are turned off by today's product - not because of the commercial break, but TNA/WWE have made it clear that the in-ring action is secondary to the ACTING!!!  Cutting into a 25 minute match after ten minutes is far different than cutting into a ten minute match two minutes in, that was sandwiched with ten minutes of non-action around it. 

So this happened at the ROH show in Toronto:

Posted Image

Mike Bennett gave BJ Whitmer a piledriver on the apron, and go figure, Whitmer got hurt.

- During a match with Mike Bennett at tonight's ROH event in Toronto, BJ Whitmer appeared to be seriously injured during a spot where Bennett gave him a piledriver on the ring apron. Here are reports from fans in attendance..

From Justin Tetreault: "BJ Whitmer just got taken out on a stretcher after taking a piledriver on the edge of the ring. They abruptly stopped the match and he got medical attention for a good 15 minutes. A few wrestlers (Brian Kendrick and Jay Lethal) came out looking really worried. It didn't look like a work to me. They shut all the cameras off and were scrambling around trying to find the best way to take the stretcher out. Then they made an announcement that he was going to get medical attention and they would update us."

From Mike Beauvais: "BJ Whitmer appears to have been seriously injured during a match with Michael Bennett. Bennett hit a piledriver on the apron. Backstage crew, wrestlers and medical professionals have attended to Whitmer and he's been stretchered out. Scary stuff."

From Wrestling Reporter Arda Ocal: "B.J. Whitmer was conscious, wiggling his fingers, gave a thumbs up while stretchered out. Security prevented fans from walking out into hallway as Whitmer was attended to there by paramedics before being taken away."