DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

So I watched the whole "Beard is Here" segment, and the nagging feeling I had when the feud started has come back. Vince said Daniel Bryan was like a mini-Mick Foley, and I thought, oh yeah, that's the way to go. Push him as the weird alternative champion like Foley was. But the more they push it the more it feels less like Foley and more like Eugene. But, you know, it's Daniel Bryan so I'm keeping the faith, but yeah they're teetering on the edge here.

Come down off the ledge. I think they know they have the company workhorse in Bryan. He's so valuable going forward.
  • Like 1

I agree. I just keep getting that feeling that comes before they fuck something up. I know it well.

But I'll try to be positive. 

I know you haven't been watching very much, but the way they have been using him in the ring really makes up for the hit and miss stuff outside of it.  He tapped Orton out to close a Raw, beat The Shield in a 6 man tag, gauntlet match etc etc.  

I think they know what they have.  Vince is really mucking up everything he touches right now, so I don't think the beard is here segment is a good indicator.

Seriously, Vince has been worse than Steph over the last month and Steph is horrible. 

Oh he was brutal. Steph was really good at just being like "Hey, here he is, I'm getting the fuck out of here." Vince has this weird confidence that what he's doing as a performer is really fucking great. That may not make sense, but it's different than just general confidence that other performers use for characterization.

What I'm saying is, every time Vince talks you can hear him chanting "YOU'VE STILL GOT IT CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP" under his breath.

• Like 2

What are the best matches to end in a no-contest, double DQ/count-out, or other result that doesn't have a clear winner?  Ideally, I'd be looking for a match where the outcome is seen as the "right" booking decision and isn't a disappointing finish that takes away from the quality of the match.

Taker/Michaels from Ground Zero 1997 that ended in the giant brawl and tope - setting up the first Hell in a Cell the next month - I remember being blown away by that when it first aired...

That's my pick too.  Awesome chaotic brawl which told a great story of Michaels being scared shitless of Taker and running for his life the entire match, only gaining brief advantages by luck, cheating and interference.  Taker has been trying to murder HBK ever since he cost him the title at SummerSlam, and kills the ref before the match even starts.  Taker destroys Michaels for a while before the bell even rings.  Ref #2 gets taken out, leading to more wild brawling.  Taker chokeslams ref #3 and finally the whole thing is declared a no contest.  The entire lockerroom empties to try and stop the fight, and it ends with that awesome moment of Taker's flying no hands tope onto about 20 guys while Michaels and DX retreat from the carnage.  And the no finish worked perfectly to set up the first Hell in a Cell match.  It's always been my favorite of the original HBK-Taker trio of matches just for the story, uniqueness and spectacle of it alone.

Angle-Austin at SS would be my 2nd pick

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse-26137247/

Apart from them interviewing and mentioning Cabana like he's on the roster, there's also CM Punk's interpretation of history. I need to brush up on my Chicago Florida Hangmen history.

PUNK: The story is in 1984, John Cena & CM Punk were a hellacious tag team and took on The Miracle Violence Connection. We were The Chicago Florida Hangmen. We worked for everybody. [Antonio] Inoki, [Giant] Baba, everybody.

REGAL: I probably got mine in 1994. They gave me one as I was leaving, and it turned out to be XXXXXL.  It was silver and it’s never been worn. It’s still in my house.

Over 10,000 wrestling fans just licked the Cheeto dust off their fingers dreaming of wearing Regal's jacket.

"John Cena suffered death.  He is not expected to miss any ring time."

(I think I'm kidding.)

Someone shot him in the face once, and it was good for a long two count.

I could have said he would be out for 72 hours to continue the Jesus joke...but then I thought:  "Did Jesue have hustle, loyalty, and respect?  No, he did not."

Friday night to Sunday morning isn't 72 hours anyway.  But I digress.

http://www.wwe.com/classics/inside-ribera-steakhouse-26137247/

Apart from them interviewing and mentioning Cabana like he's on the roster, there's also CM Punk's interpretation of history. I need to brush up on my Chicago Florida Hangmen history.

PUNK: The story is in 1984, John Cena & CM Punk were a hellacious tag team and took on The Miracle Violence Connection. We were The Chicago Florida Hangmen. We worked for everybody. [Antonio] Inoki, [Giant] Baba, everybody.

Ah, CM Punk.  Ever the hipster crank.

PUNK: Somewhere along the line, it got a little bit soiled because — just like anything — it lost its luster after a while. Everybody wound up going to Japan for a hot minute, so everybody wound up getting a Ribera Steakhouse jacket. I actually refused to get a Ribera Steakhouse jacket because of it.

"Everybody else is getting one so I won't."