DVDVR Message Board

MAY WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

On the getting over part, Hall and Nash came in after Flair and Savage had turned around the house show business, and if I remember right, ppv buyrates didn't start going up until a few months into the angle, well after the Hogan turn.

But they did immediately end the back and forth ratings battle of the Monday Night Wars.  From "You know who I am..." on, Nitro didn't lose head to head until after Mania 14 with the Vince vs. Austin handcuffed match.

He was sympathetic face to Wwf fans who were Bret Hart fans.

Not sure why that would mean shit to a WCW fan for whom he was just an outsider associated with long career in Wwf.

Eh, by 1997 there wasn't really WWE/WCW fans. Both feds had comprehensive international TV coverage. It wasn't like the 80s where certain fans could only watch certain feds (I know I couldn't see WCW, save for PPV or a couple shows here and there or TBS free preview weekends, on a weekly basis until some time in the mid-nineties), I think by the late nineties you had less "I'm a WCW fan!" or "I'm a WWE fan!" and more "I'm a wrestling fan". I mean, people had their preference of shows, but I don't think there was really any "I don't like so-and-so because he's a WCW guy/WWF guy" anymore.
We know this to be untrue. When WCW died people assumed that those fans who weren't already wwf fans would just go watch wwf. It didn't happen, those wcw fans just moved on with their lives. The feds had different and often vocally different fanbases.

And they're all just waiting for Sting to appear now!

He says that no one knew Jericho before him. Then, backtracks the next sentence and when he lists more names.

It comes across as the usual bravado and burial of ECW Bischoff had at the time. Never mind that Heyman brought a lot of the talent into his company, it was HIM that deserves the credit for making them valuable to the WWF.

It's just Sleazy E working his obnoxious charm.

The WWF looked at the NJ3 +1 and thought the guy that had the mist real value was Too Cold.mThe Wwf didn't do much at all with Too Cold.

IIRC, the WWF was interested in Benoit, but Benoit still wanted the opportunity to do New Japan.

He says that no one knew Jericho before him. Then, backtracks the next sentence and when he lists more names.

It comes across as the usual bravado and burial of ECW Bischoff had at the time. Never mind that Heyman brought a lot of the talent into his company, it was HIM that deserves the credit for making them valuable to the WWF.

It's just Sleazy E working his obnoxious charm.

The WWF looked at the NJ3 +1 and thought the guy that had the mist real value was Too Cold.mThe Wwf didn't do much at all with Too Cold.

IIRC, the WWF was interested in Benoit, but Benoit still wanted the opportunity to do New Japan.

Benoit actually worked some dark matches in 1995. They were going to bring him in. 

I kind of wonder what the WWF would've done with Benoit then.

The idea of bringing a guy in and trying to babyface him based on the finish of a WWF payperview is TNA level dumb.

If he came in after Owen's death, that would be event you could babyface him from.

Also lost in this is that Bret Hart was coming off a run where he spent the prior year or so just bitching out America at every turn.  While the events of the screwjob did some work he was still a guy who needed a good bit of rehabilitation in the eyes of the crowd before you could run him as a beloved face of the company.

Or to put it another way, it's rather easy to take Vince and make him a bad guy.  Making Bret a face once more would be much harder, perhaps impossibly so if not for the events of Montreal.  The "smart" fans would have, those less so needed a good bit of convincing.  He never had a great face run after that point and while the booking was... let's say spotty, he took a heel turn that was gonna be hard to turn away from.

Or to put it another way, it's rather easy to take Vince and make him a bad guy.  Making Bret a face once more would be much harder, perhaps impossibly so if not for the events of Montreal.  The "smart" fans would have, those less so needed a good bit of convincing.  He never had a great face run after that point and while the booking was... let's say spotty, he took a heel turn that was gonna be hard to turn away from.

If only there were some powerful heel stable at the time he could have opposed...

• Like 1

If only there were some powerful heel stable at the time he could have opposed...

Oh yeah, Bret getting assaulted and spray painted at the end of every Nitro for months would have been a much better booking decision.  Because that's exactly how THAT would have gone.

• Like 1

Anyone who questions why WCW should have done more with playing off what happened in WWF with Bret must not have been watching during the Monday Night Wars. During that time the whole "Never acknowledge the competition " idea was gone. It was a big part of why it was an exciting time.

• Like 1

I think the WCW fans would have embraced Bret fully as a top face. He had a rep as a good worker, which seemed to mean something to those fans (and was one reason Hogan wasn't well-received), but more than that, the fact that he was double crossed by Vince, the owner of the enemy, would surely have seen the WCW fans rally around him. My enemy's enemy is my friend, and all that. Don't see any way, after the way Bret left WWF, that he would have been rejected by the WCW fans as a 'WWF guy'.

Be careful up there, the panhandle is the nexus weirdness, going by news reports

I'm from Miami. Bring on your meth crazy, 850.

@Scraylo: I will take any foodie reccomendations you have. I lived in Tally for 5 years but I've been to PC all of a day.

HERE WE GO!

There are some cool restaurants in Baytown Wharf, about 20 minutes from PC... The Red Bar has the best brunch on the coast, usually with live bluegrass music. Seagrove Village Market for lunch. Bud N Alley's for drinking. I'm going to go be super homesick for a while now. No I'm not crying.

You had me at bluegrass brunch.

• Like 1

As a general rule I abhor WWE terminology, but I'm really glad they've corrected the term "Monday Night Wars" to the singular.  There was only one war.

unless you count the 6 week thrashing that was TNA's Monday Night attempt.

which nobody should.

Did you know that the original title of War and Peace was "War, What is it Good For?"

I'm sorry, Mr. Testikoff, that's just her sense of humor

I have to say, the TNA Monday Night Skirmish was actually kinda fun that first week. My ex girlfriend didn't watch as a kid so she missed the original MNW, but had seen the DVDs and all of that. So it was pretty fun to see it through her eyes for the first time. She rarely swore, but she let out a pretty loud "Oh my GOD is that JEFF FUCKING HARDY!?!" She couldn't believe it when I told her that a lot of weeks were like that for guys like us growing up. Flair walked out on Impact and she was woooo-ing all over the place. It was fun at least for that one night.

• Like 3

Did you know that the original title of War and Peace was "War, What is it Good For?"

It was Tolstoy's mistress that convinced him to change it.

If loving this forum is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

• Like 3

Any who,

I was talking to a friend about the differences between previous WWE development hell holes call ups and NXT call ups.

I feel like NXT is too polished. This leads to a lot of people's flaws being covered up by smoke and mirrors (fuck you, Cody Rhodes) and don't really learn how to translate what they do to bigger audiences. They like learn how to do a match formula with a set character, but don't learn how to inject any natural personality into their matches. So, when these people get called up, the debuts seem to fail more than succeed. Mah friend said that I was too hard on Big E. because in NXT, Big E. had a big time feel to him even though no one cares for him on Raw. Same thing with Paige, whom just randomly screams and does movezy shit to me.

Compared to an OVW or FCW call up, they have seemed more personality driven, and even though most of them have taken a while to get good in the ring, the WWE crowds are responding to them a hell of a lot better than the NXT alumni.

I just wanted to get other people's opinion on this.

• Like 1