DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Was never a fan of Extremely Crappy Wrestling so I never delved deep into their library.  Does New Jack really merit being on this list?

I think Bockwinkel is the only guy on the list who had his career peak in the AWA.  Who else is a great talker who had his best years in the AWA?

I don't see fat guy wrestlers.  Who is the best talking super-heavyweight?  (Let's assume we're not counting Dusty as a super heavyweight.)

I'm sure there's politics involved, but I'd be content with swapping Randy Savage & John Cena on that list.  That puts the first "current" guy at #16 though.

ETA: Best Super-Heavyweight promo? Jerry Blackwell

New Jack promos were usually insane, but awesome. Not insane like the Zodiac/Jason the Terrible promos from Stampede, but insane as in "this motherfucker could kill me like he claims he is going to do".

• Like 3

Steph on there is the biggest WTF. Yeah, she's come around well in the Authority angle, but she was not a good talker for most of her career.

If they wanted a woman, they should have gone with Ivory. Hell, even Luna. 

I think Bockwinkel is the only guy on the list who had his career peak in the AWA.  Who else is a great talker who had his best years in the AWA?

Is Heenan in the list?

I had a DVD of the best AWA interviews, I think it was one of the Okerlund produced mini PPVs they did in the early 2000s before WWE bought the library. There was tons of good stuff, obviously Heenan & Bockwinkel, but also Crusher and Bruiser, Mad Dog Vachon, Jesse Ventura, Superstar Graham, Ray Stevens, Dr X, Stan Hansen, Larry Zbyszko, Lord Alfred Hayes, even Verne & Greg had their moments.

Steph on there is the biggest WTF. Yeah, she's come around well in the Authority angle, but she was not a good talker for most of her career.

If they wanted a woman, they should have gone with Ivory. Hell, even Luna.

I'd say AJ's been, if not always great, certainly good.

Is Heenan in the list?

He's #8, though I don't think it was his AWA years that got him that high in WWE's lights.

The randomness with which secondary officials in the WWE come down and reverse a screwy decision really takes me out of the show. Why would you come down for one match to right a wrong, but not all of them? 

This makes me think that WWE needs to avoid this spot because it makes people think, "other major sports use instant replay, so why wouldnt WWE?" 

Of course, I really want WWE to institute instant replay so it leads to an angle where the replay is so ineptly instituted that it somehow makes the officiating even worse in order to riff on MLB. I like the idea that Bryan loses his title to Batista due to an obvious screwjob, but the screwjob doesn't get overturned because Bryan is unconscious and is thus unable to challenge it himself, even though multiple referees have caught the error. Maybe a face gets his title win overturned because the replay uncovers a rule that is rarely invoked or paid attention to, and the proper enforcement of the rule leads to company-wide befuddlement. A face tag team losing their title win because the pinning partner wasn't holding the tag rope when he was tagged in would work as an example. 

Maybe they can do like the NBA and take a painfully long time reviewing the footage, and keep doing it on every instance.  Like, a guy gets pinned, but claims the foot is on the rope or the shoulder came up.  They can pour over the footage to find the right angle for 5 minutes, only to deem it "inconclusive".

The randomness with which secondary officials in the WWE come down and reverse a screwy decision really takes me out of the show. Why would you come down for one match to right a wrong, but not all of them? 

This makes me think that WWE needs to avoid this spot because it makes people think, "other major sports use instant replay, so why wouldnt WWE?" 

Of course, I really want WWE to institute instant replay so it leads to an angle where the replay is so ineptly instituted that it somehow makes the officiating even worse in order to riff on MLB. I like the idea that Bryan loses his title to Batista due to an obvious screwjob, but the screwjob doesn't get overturned because Bryan is unconscious and is thus unable to challenge it himself, even though multiple referees have caught the error. Maybe a face gets his title win overturned because the replay uncovers a rule that is rarely invoked or paid attention to, and the proper enforcement of the rule leads to company-wide befuddlement. A face tag team losing their title win because the pinning partner wasn't holding the tag rope when he was tagged in would work as an example. 

Maybe they can do like the NBA and take a painfully long time reviewing the footage, and keep doing it on every instance.  Like, a guy gets pinned, but claims the foot is on the rope or the shoulder came up.  They can pour over the footage to find the right angle for 5 minutes, only to deem it "inconclusive".

If anything else, it sounds like the 21st century means of doing a Dusty finish. Like Smelly said, using it to enforce an obscure rule would get mega heat. Imagine: heel loses a match, protests afterwards that his opponent used a closed fist during the match, refs review and reverse the decision. 

My favorite thing is Joel Gertner's inclusion and Shane Douglas' exclusion.

Shane not being on this list is lame. His mic-work in ECW really gave the promotion its edge. Sabu doing Assai moonsaults onto tables set in the crowd and Foley and Funk and the PE having chairs thrown on them by the dozen were really great. But Shane Douglas tossing down the NWA Title, his assaults on Ric Flair and the like and his other Franchise stuff really gave the league it's "Us Against The World" edge. He had a full hour of television pretty much given to him at one point in 1994. His promo cackling in the wheelchair after he broke the Pitbull's neck is one of the all-time great dick promos, too. Also, anytime he and Francine cut a promo on the beach was awesome.

The dude had diminishing results in WCW and his Dean Douglas stuff in WWE was terrible. I've never watched TNA and I'm not even sure he was in the league but I assume, if he was, it was brutal.

But he's a historically important mic-worker. He's not the best but ECW doesn't become what it became without The Franchise. I love Gertner and his filthy limericks but they were a fun sideshow act.

• Like 2

And Steph rules it as a heel. She's been SO GOOD in The Authority angle. The only times I've detested Steph were when they tried to make her a babyface. I remember she tagged in a match with that dude with one leg against Brock Lesnar. Yes, the spoiled brat princess is the person I want to see take on Brock Lesnar.

But she's a natural heel and really good at the role.

Also: I would be perfectly fine if they put Vince number one. He could come out tonight and get more heat than everyone on the roster combined. Mr. McMahon is the best heel character of all-time and I'm not afraid to say it. I think Flair's better, since he and Savage are the reasons why I fell in love with wrestling, but Vince at his best is everything you could want in a character.

And Tazz made this list? The dude was so bad. His ECW meathead shtick wore thin so, so, so quickly. He was a decent enough announcer, though.

Biggest exclusion, and in a walk, is JJ Dillon. JJ's my favorite old-school dude. He could do the buffoon heel so well and naturally transferred that to being the corporate asshole Horsemen manager. JJ's the best. I love Heenan and Cornette but JJ trumps those guys easily.

Also, Skandar Akbar needs some rub, too. The dastardly general was the most hated dude in Texas for almost a decade.

Shane Douglas did some time in TNA. Nothing memorable in the way of mic work, but his puking in the hair vs. hair match where Raven's scalp was decimated was all sorta of remarkable.

Was never a fan of Extremely Crappy Wrestling so I never delved deep into their library.  Does New Jack really merit being on this list?

Hell yes. In my mind he's one of the greatest "deathly serious" promo guys of all time. I wish I could find the promo he cut on The Eliminators before The Gangstaz beat them for the tag titles or the one he cut on the Dudleyz after they took out Mustafa. Bone-chilling shit man.

• Like 1

Taz  a terrible talker?

The whole selling point of the first Barely Legal was Taz cutting promos on SAbu so people would watch the match. The greatness of mocking Sabu for having bought a Soloflex is still one of the best promos and then threatening to choke Sabu out to the point that he'd make Sabu's wife cry (even naming her by name) was one of those things that sold me on him. If Taz hadn't cut such great promos I wouldn't have given a rats ass about that feud.

James

• Like 1

That New Jack promo on I think the Baldies where he's wielding the sickle is dope. He also did some promos on the subway somewhere that were great. 

I'm surprised that Meltzer would get so pissed about Mad Dog when DA CRUSHER is right there.

EDIT: Oh god I am forgetting all the Smoky Mountain New Jack promos. C'mon, that has to give him inclusion alone. 

• Like 1