DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

From what I've seen of Taz in ECW his promos were short and to the point. He had an intensity that kept them interesting. I don't remember any Tazz promos in the WWE I remember his commentary of course. I remember watching his debut promo in TNA on an Impact where he brought out Samoa Joe wearing his Penis Face Tat and long tights but I don't remember if I liked it I turned the channel not long after Joe came out.

"Short and to the point", is a pretty good description of Taz in general.

How much of his TNA commentary have you listened to?

Naw, "Natural Born Killaz" > "Shut 'Em Down" > "New Jack Hustler". At least as a wrestling theme. Ice-T would be a hard fight with me vs. Dre and Cube though.

probably a safe bet that "When Will They Shoot" wouldn't be as good of a wrestling theme as possible?

I hadn't listened to The Predator in forever so had to pull that up on Youtube. Now we have opened up the Pandora's Box question of "What is the best alternate theme for New Jack"

Real Muthaphukkin G's by Eazy E

• Like 1

Muthafuck Dre, muthafuck Snoop, muthafuck Death Row, yo and here comes my left blow. /B-Boy doing fists to head thing I only recall random basketball players doing, but I'm sure has some origin I know nothing about.

• Like 1

Muthafuck Dre, muthafuck Snoop, muthafuck Death Row, yo and here comes my left blow. /B-Boy doing fists to head thing I only recall random basketball players doing, but I'm sure has some origin I know nothing about.

the best part of that video is the number of random wardrobe changes Eazy-E goes through. Cutting from scene to scene he's in a different outfit in like every one of them

also, don't sleep on Any Last Werdz off of the same album or Neighborhood Sniper.

Yeah, New Jack might have been the best ECW promo outside of Austin and Foley. Let's face it, he really didn't have much else going for him besides that and his willingness to jump off of high places.

Shane Douglas was a damn great promo, as long as don't mind the shooty inside stuff.

And...  God damn, Dr. Dre187 Um Killa is a fucking masterpiece.

A new synopsis for WWE's "Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman" DVD and Blu-ray that comes out on August 5th:

"One of the most controversial managers and figures in WCW, ECW and WWE History! For the first time ever, fans get the full story of the life and career of Paul Heyman. From his beginnings as a ringside photographer at MSG, to becoming a manager at WCW, then heading up the infamous ECW, Paul has his own unique brand of over-the-top, in your face entertainment ...that has developed him a cult-like following. Unfortunately his financial savvy didn’t match his creative genius, and ECW was eventually purchased by WWE.

Since joining WWE, Paul has gone on to great heights, including managing Brock Lesnar, when he finally broke Undertakers WrestleMania Streak this year.

This collection includes great behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, with past and present talent talking about Paul’s contribution to the world of sports-entertainment. Featuring interviews with Raven, Tommy Dreamer, Joey Styles, Mick Foley, Rob Van Dam, Stephanie McMahon and of course the man himself."

I'll be getting this.

A new synopsis for WWE's "Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman" DVD and Blu-ray that comes out on August 5th:

"One of the most controversial managers and figures in WCW, ECW and WWE History! For the first time ever, fans get the full story of the life and career of Paul Heyman. From his beginnings as a ringside photographer at MSG, to becoming a manager at WCW, then heading up the infamous ECW, Paul has his own unique brand of over-the-top, in your face entertainment ...that has developed him a cult-like following. Unfortunately his financial savvy didn’t match his creative genius, and ECW was eventually purchased by WWE.

Since joining WWE, Paul has gone on to great heights, including managing Brock Lesnar, when he finally broke Undertakers WrestleMania Streak this year.

This collection includes great behind-the-scenes footage and interviews, with past and present talent talking about Paul’s contribution to the world of sports-entertainment. Featuring interviews with Raven, Tommy Dreamer, Joey Styles, Mick Foley, Rob Van Dam, Stephanie McMahon and of course the man himself."

I'll be getting this.

McMahon5.jpg

Who the fuck interviewed Raven?

• Like 13

Yeah, New Jack might have been the best ECW promo outside of Austin and Foley. Let's face it, he really didn't have much else going for him besides that and his willingness to jump off of high places.

Shane Douglas was a damn great promo, as long as don't mind the shooty inside stuff.

Yeah, but Douglas's promos were 75% shooty inside stuff. I've been watching a lot of 96 ECW lately, and Douglas will not shut the fuck up about the damn Kliq.

Yeah, but Douglas's promos were 75% shooty inside stuff. I've been watching a lot of 96 ECW lately, and Douglas will not shut the fuck up about the damn Kliq.

I'm fine with shooty inside stuff as long as it's done well. Shane did that so well.

• Like 1

Glorious.

--Iron Sheik was in Toronto for the premiere of his documentary and claimed mayor Rob Ford had scheduled a meeting with him. Ford denied there was any meeting scheduled and no-showed.  Olivia Chow, who is running in the next mayoral election, ended up meeting Iron Sheik and got his all-important endorsement

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/04/28/matt-gurney-olivia-chow-meets-with-is-endorsed-by-ranting-homophobe-who-encourages-rape/

Olivia Chow meets with, is endorsed by, ranting homophobe who encourages rape

I'm fine with shooty inside stuff as long as it's done well. Shane did that so well.

Exactly what I meant.  If you hate shooty inside stuff, then you won't like Shane's promo work, but he was doing it as well or better than anyone else ever. 

It's easy to shit on Shane's insider stuff, in hindsight. But back then, it was cutting edge stuff. The bulk of ECW's base were smarks, remember? I bet in 20 years some dood on a board will be lamenting how uncool and blah the Yes Movement was lol.

• Like 1

"Beat me if you can, survive if I let you" is the fucking best catch phrase.

You know, for years, that phrase has never really sense to me. If I can beat you, then clearly I survived, so does that mean if I beat you, you'll be so pissed that you might not let me survive? Well, then, who's a sore loser?

I used to think that, if it were actually TWO separate sentences, then maybe each independent declaration existed on its own. But nooo ...

You're thinking about it way too much.

Also awesome: "I don't need no weapons...My hands are my weapons."

What was great about Taz was that he was booked as a suplex throwing ass kicker and he did it extraordinarily well.