DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

People want to see Sting v. Taker for the same reason people still talk about buy rates and Nielsen ratings: the match would get some crossover and main stream coverage, and whenever that happens we don't feel like dorks for a few minutes because wrestling becomes water cooler talk. It has nothing to do with any perceived match quality.

I dont see the mainstream appeal angle.

Maybe 1% of the populace would think "steve borden" and not "gordon sumner" if you asked who Sting was.

This idea should be combined with the other idea that wont go away and have them do a Team WCW VS team WWE wargames. At least you could hide Sting and Taker in a 10 man match whether they are captains and dont work or are the last two guys and will work a minimal amount.

Hey, lookie what I found.  It's a spot for the car dealership Haku works for.

I like how everyone has a name badge except Haku.  I can see the covo as: 

"Okay, last thing I need is for you to put this badge on."

"No."

"...O-kayyyy....let's get ready to roll film."

• Like 3

Just stop talking about "match quality". It will be a cool, historical moment. And like I said before, be more "storyline driven" than "movez driven". Remember, Rickey Steamboat looked pretty good a couple years ago, didn't he? And I suspect, with HHH calling the shots, it'll be done right.

Just stop talking about "match quality". It will be a cool, historical moment. And like I said before, be more "storyline driven" than "movez driven". Remember, Rickey Steamboat looked pretty good a couple years ago, didn't he? And I suspect, with HHH calling the shots, it'll be done right.

Match quality may not matter to you, but it matters to others. I have no nostalgia for either Sting or Taker, and I don't see the point of them squaring off because no matter how one wants to judge match quality I can't see the quality of a match between those two guys in 2014, or later, being anything better than curiously mediocre.

I find it odd that people pretend that Sting wasn't one of the most popular wrestlers from 1996 to 1998 when WCW had 5 to 6 million viewers some weeks.  The point isn't that my mom would suddenly get excited, but some of those fans would get a "I remember him" kick.  Look at how people got excited for the Ultimate Warrior, I had people at work (that know I follow wrestling) asking me questions when he was on RAW and remembering how awesome he was, and he hasn't been a big deal in wrestling since 1996.  Sting is not at Austin/Rock/Hogan level but I know a lot of people my age that haven't watched wrestling in a long time that still remember Sting (the wrestler) and may check in if they hear he is wrestling again (same people that don't know TNA exists).  It certainly wouldn't be for everyone but in theory it would be aimed at getting some older fans interested again.

• Like 1

I've been pretty vocal about not wanting to see Sting wrestle in WWE because it would ruin his legacy as the main guy who didn't work for Vince, but I wouldn't mind a segment where he is allowed to stand tall in the ring after fighting off Evolution one-on-three when they come to interrupt an interview pimping a DVD set.

• Like 1

I'm completely for Sting having matches, I just have trouble understanding the upside of throwing him in with Taker now that the Streak is over. Sting vs Cena would be just as historical and a better match. Ditto a bunch of other matches.

Also remember that Sting is not coming down from the rafters. No matter how popular he might have been in WCW, he kinda is Dancin' Homer to Taker's Capital City Goofball. Alright I'm exaggerating, but if I'm Taker and I just got asked to do the job at Wrestlemania (according to Meltzer), maybe I don't want to come back and sell Sting's comparatively silly offence like death. 

• Like 2

Just do Sting/UT/Kane vs the Wyatts.  Protects both guys so they don't have to do a full match and both guys get to get the win. 

Because the Wyatts really need to be putting over those three guys in 2014.

Just do Sting/UT/Kane vs the Wyatts.  Protects both guys so they don't have to do a full match and both guys get to get the win. 

Because the Wyatts really need to be putting over those three guys in 2014.

That's why they have a jobber in the group (Rowan).  Who benefits from a UT/Sting match?  Sting's not coming in just to lose at Wrestlemania.  Makes no sense.

I have no interest in seeing The Undertaker wrestle at this point. Really, at the shape he has been in for the past couple of years, the streak was the only reason I got excited about watching him. 

If WWE wants to get eyes on the Network by doing a special show with Sting on it, Sting/Bryan vs. Batista/Orton sounds like something I'd like to see, and you can put Sting over either of the latter two guys and not lose anything. Plus, Sting can be hidden in this match as Bryan carries things by playing FIP, which he is great at. 

Cena & Sting thats like the whitemeat babyface team of the universe right there. They'll need a tag title run. The only flaw I see in it is though Cena wont turn on Sting.

Sting with a tag team partner he could trust? That's blasphemy.

Haku the car salesman is great. I'm picturing him like De Niro in Analayze That when he's selling the cars. "Look at this trunk. You could fit two or three bodies in it".

• Like 1

It would be so great if teaming with Sting is what causes Cena to turn. He teams with him and even Cena doesn't know why he did it other than it's the order or things and the way they're supposed to be.

I'm picturing Sting telling Cena he's gotta turn on him like Desmond telling Charlie he has to die on Lost. I keep having these visions brotha

• Like 2