DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

I consider this his true highest profile final match, dammit.

4    NEW Spring Slam
2010/04/23 @ Newburgh Free Academy in Newburgh, New York (United States of America)
Mick Foley and Tony DeVito defeated Hale Collins and Vik Dalishus

RIP Lee Marshall. The 1-800-COLLECT Road Report will never be the same.

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/kfbk-news-461777/lee-marshall-voice-of-tony-the-12292486/

I'm pretty sure the last time I heard his voice was on WOW.

Last I heard his voice was on the AWA set making one of the Hogan vs Bockwinkel matches almost impossible to watch. But the guy died, so let's say something positive. Or try to.

Look, I'm glad Lee Marshall was part of wrestling. He had this "weird uncle who happens to be a used car salesman" vibe that adds just a little more color to how strange and surreal wrestling is. You need guys like him or like Pettingill or the Duke of Dorchester or Jackie Stallone or Tom Peterson in Portland, just these people that wouldn't seem like they fit in almost anywhere else, but that make up part of the three ring circus of wrestling. You get enough of them and anything at all could fit in, anything carny or outdated or impossible. 

It's one of those things that make wrestling special that you'd not see in something more legitimate. It's why wrestling will never fully make it out of the bingo halls or whatever, no matter what Vince tries. 

Someone like Lee Marshall will always exist and you'll be going along, thinking that everything is okay, and then you'll catch him out of the corner of your eye and you'll remember, just for a moment, how deeply strange and weird this entire enterprise is.

• Like 2

As a radio and voice over guy, I have to recognize Lee for being a legit radio legend in Los Angeles. He was also the voice of Tony the Tiger. A bloody awful wrestling announcer in my opinion BUT he reached the pinnacle of success for guys in my line of work.

• Like 1

The randomness with which secondary officials in the WWE come down and reverse a screwy decision really takes me out of the show. Why would you come down for one match to right a wrong, but not all of them? 

This makes me think that WWE needs to avoid this spot because it makes people think, "other major sports use instant replay, so why wouldnt WWE?" 

Of course, I really want WWE to institute instant replay so it leads to an angle where the replay is so ineptly instituted that it somehow makes the officiating even worse in order to riff on MLB. I like the idea that Bryan loses his title to Batista due to an obvious screwjob, but the screwjob doesn't get overturned because Bryan is unconscious and is thus unable to challenge it himself, even though multiple referees have caught the error. Maybe a face gets his title win overturned because the replay uncovers a rule that is rarely invoked or paid attention to, and the proper enforcement of the rule leads to company-wide befuddlement. A face tag team losing their title win because the pinning partner wasn't holding the tag rope when he was tagged in would work as an example. 

How great is that Flair promo? Covered in blood and "oriental mist," out of breath from the brawl, and still links himself to Sting AND shows the pure hate he has for the man that tried to break his neck. All of it off the cuff, just improvising because that's how a pro gets an angle over. THAT is what greatness in pro-wrestling looks like.

• Like 5

WWE.com's latest list of the 50 Greatest Talkers in Wrestling History

50. Scott Steiner

49. Joel Gertner
48. Jimmy Valiant
47. Zeb Colter
46. New Jack
45. The Grand Wizard
44. Brian Pillman
43. JBL
42. Thunderbolt Patterson
41. The Miz
40. Kevin Sullivan
39. William Regal
38. Tazz
37. Stephanie McMahon
36. Ernie Ladd
35. Kurt Angle
34. Bray Wyatt
33. Rick Rude
32. Gary Hart
31. The Ultimate Warrior
30. Michael Hayes
29. Nick Bockwinkel
28. Raven
27. Jesse Ventura
26. Jerry Lawler
25. Ted DiBiase
24. Terry Funk
23. Shawn Michaels
22. Harley Race
21. Edge
20. Capt. Lou Albano
19. Triple H
18. Randy Savage
17. Jim Cornette
16. CM Punk
15. Arn Anderson
14. Billy Graham
13. Vince McMahon
12. John Cena
11. Jake Roberts
10. Chris Jericho
9. Hulk Hogan
8. Bobby Heenan
7. Mick Foley
6. Paul Heyman
5. Dusty Rhodes
4. Steve Austin
3. Roddy Piper
2. The Rock
1. Ric Flair

Miz and Tazz being on the list is a joke and Edge being at 21 is just silly. Why does WWE have such a high opinion of that guy? He was good and all but I never considered him a great talker and him being above Lawler, Ventura, Raven, Bockwinkel, JBL, and Regal is flat out silly. Note to WWE Edge is retired you don't need to keep pushing him.

Ah.... now I know why Meltzer was all pissed off on Twitter yesterday about Maurice Vachon not being on some list

Dave Meltzer ‏@davemeltzerWON  Apr 27

Anyone who does a list of 50 greatest promos of all-time without Mad Dog needs to study wrestling a lot more before making all-time lists.