DVDVR Message Board

APRIL WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

HBK vs Jeff Hardy, Raw 2-11-08. I didn't watch a lot of WWE around this time so I've been watching some stuff from the era. This was really, really good. Gotta be one of the best Jeff Hardy singles matches right? Yet another reason I cannot fathom the HBK hate.

One of my top favorite matches of 2008, both delivered big time. I posted about it awhile back in one of those great matches that aren't talked about much threads. 2008 really was a career year for Hardy, so much good stuff. vs HBK, vs Orton at the Rumble, vs Umaga in the cage, vs Cena, the two PPV matches vs HHH and then finishing off the year with the title win which is one of my all time favorite moments. His momentum carried over in to 2009 for the Punk feud through the summer that was a really great era of Smackdown. As one of my all time favorites, I hated to see him go especially considering he was so insanely over at the time but the blowoff to the Punk feud was pretty perfect and got huge heat.

Bray Wyatt and John Wilkes Booth vs. Daniel Bryan and Abe Lincoln.

Go old school man:

Sting and Benedict Arnold vs. William Regal and King George III

Booking Benedict Arnold is way too straightforward to be a proper Sting angle.

Sting/George Washington vs. Ric Flair & King Henry VIII (a natural pairing; they have so much in common).

During the match, Washington gets the hot tag, only to turn on Sting and hit him with a chair made out of cherry.  Washington and the heels beat down Sting, then Washington takes off his shirt to reveal that he's wearing a shirt that looks like the British flag.  Washington gets on the mic and announces that he's the newest member of the OwE - Old World Empire.

Actually, to make it a proper Sting angle, Washington should act heelish in the weeks turning up to the match.  It isn't a real Sting angle unless you telegraph the turn so that everyone except Sting knows the guy is turning heel at the PPV.

• Like 2

Oh man, I just watched Hechicero vs. Barbaro Cavernario earlier today and it was insane. Hechicero in the last 12 months has taken two of the most ridiculous bumps I've ever seen in the history of wrestling. I can't wait to see what else he does in the tournament.

Seriously, if you haven't seen Hechicero work, you absolutely must. I don't care if you don't like lucha. Watch this shit

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mxf7e_hechicero-vs-cavernario-in-a-en-busca-de-un-idolo-match_sport

• Like 1

Just got back from the Omega show.  Everyone absolutely check this one out.  Hardyz/Briscoes actually exceeded my expectations.  Good shit on the show top to bottom with Andrew Everett, Cedric Alexander, Adam Page, Trevor Lee and others just killing it. 

• Like 1

Please, someone, ANYONE who thinks Sting vs. Undertaker would be a good idea in the Twenty-Teens explain it to me. I keep seeing random pockets of people (and rumorz from newz sites) acting like this is happening and it will be awesome. Would this, without a time machine, ever be anything but two 50 year old men moving at whatever speed their age and thousands of career bumps allow them to?

I'm 30, do I count?  :)

I think it would be fun in a 'nostalgia' sense if it was done right, but I think it would work better as a tag team.  Tag team matches really help protect older dudes that can't really go anymore (although to be fair, when motivated Sting is far less broken than Undertaker is).  I am not a fantasy booker but I'd imagine Sting/Taker vs. whomever the heel tag team is at the time would be entertaining.  It just couldn't be a 30 minute match, that's all, and I think it would be better not at WrestleMania as that would put a lot more pressure on them to be at a level they aren't.  I've seen matches with 50 year old wrestlers that were quite good, don't be an ageist.

I'm not ageist at all. I'm a Bockwinkel mark for Crom's sake. However, in the current WWE, these two would look ridiculous. I respect them for what they have accomplished (Taker is one of my all time faves) but it's about 5 years too late for this match to be anything but embarrassing for both guys.

I'm not ageist at all. I'm a Bockwinkel mark for Crom's sake. However, in the current WWE, these two would look ridiculous. I respect them for what they have accomplished (Taker is one of my all time faves) but it's about 5 years too late for this match to be anything but embarrassing for both guys.

I have to grudgingly agree. Presumably we're talking about a face vs face match - I just don't see Sting having anything to carry his end of that. His last match against Magnus was bad, the match against Bully was a hate-brawl with weapons and an interference finish. Neither went 15 minutes -  Sting has never really been a 20 minute match guy anyway.

I think we'll see Sting do something, but I don't particularly see any natural chemistry with the Undertaker and, now The Streak is gone, little value in the match. Sting vs Cena might be fun, but really he's better off against heels. I suspect he could have a better match with Orton than he could against Taker. And I suspect Taker could have a better match against Orton than against Sting. I sort of get the Phenom vs Phenom thing, but it sounds better on paper than it would probably work in practice, and so I'd probably go a different way. If they must do it, run it at The Rumble which is a big PPV/Special Event but where people won't expect a long match, maybe have them in the Chamber match - and then let them respect tag at Wrestlemania against The Wyatts or something. Though if Taker has got 1 more great Wrestlemania singles match in him, I'd probably just feed him to Bryan, Cena, Reigns or maybe Orton at this pont.

I think there's a place for Sting. I think you could build to one big celebratory match with him. It shouldn't be at Mania. It shouldn't be with Taker. It should be with someone who can bump for him. It should be set up as a Network only special, maybe a sort of WCW One Night Stand special (Call it Clash of the Champions). It should be to coincide with the launch of Nitro and the Monday Night War show on the Network. it should be almost to draw lapsed WCW fans to get the Network.I think they should actually do Bryan vs Sting and put over Bryan but Cena vs Sting would probably draw more interest.

• Like 1

If you don't wanna see the lightning-shooting MMA zombie vs. the psychopath who hangs out in the rafters with his painted face and pet vulture, I can't help you.

Match quality be damned.

It'll take CGI to make it an action flick.