DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/3 - 4/9/2024 - Takeshita The Long Way Home

Anyway, I thought the show was pretty damn good beyond that.  The Samoa Joe and Swerve segment was fire.  It had a lot of intensity and showed a glimpse of how far each man is willing to go to win the match at 'Dynasty.'  I'm super hyped for it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Re: Rosa’s finish…it has the same setup as the package piledriver, so why not just do that?  In kayfabe, why set up for a kill move like that, only to do something lame instead?  Same goes for the Neutralizer and Styles Clash.

Well, hmmm. If she's almost crippling people trying to drop them on their backs, do you want her to pretend drop them on their heads?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just have to say... do you know how hard it is to make me towards Punk's side on anything nowadays? I don't want to get lost in the moment and call that opening Edge bit the most cringe thing AEW has ever done, but jesus christ you don't respond to an ex-employee saying mixed things about you (he was often positive towards AEW in the full interview) on your live tv show, particularly to lead off. Kingston and Schiavone had this figured out, this actually felt pathetic.

(I mostly wrote that to distract myself from that absolutely WTF White/Gunn match >_>)

(The rest of the show was fine)

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah this BCG/Acclaimed feud just gets worse and worse. Everybody involved is less over than they were before. Need to move on. Quickly.

TK should really run BCG/Acclaimed at Dynasty to unify the trios titles and end this feud. The titles really shouldn't have been taken off House of Black. 

I really enjoyed the rest of the show, and maybe I'm in the minority, but I didn't mind Cope's promo to open the show. 

• Like 4

JAY WHITE getting dominated by Billy Gunn—and not even getting to win off the low blow—is legitimately insane booking. A potential Mania main event-tier prospect getting his ass handed to him by a mascot. What are we even doing here?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great back to back action in the first two matches. I especially liked Bryan/Archer, always great to see Archer in a longer standout match like that. Billy Gunn whipping ass is the best! 

Felt like Willow's best promo. Hate to see Julia lose but feels like Willow/Mone gets set up. Sad to see the end of Best Friends. 

Show went by quick and didn't realize Thunder/Mariah was in the main event spot, thought it was pretty good overall. Epic closing segment from Joe and Swerve.

Thought it was a very good episode of Dynamite. Especially enjoyed Ospreay-Hobbs, Danielson-Archer, Bucks-Best Friends, Rosa-May and the contract signing. So most the show. I didn’t think Copeland’s promo was all that bad. I think they were trying to take the high road with it, I mean they could have had the Bucks in their new heel persona’s bury Punk. 

Bullet Club has new ROH 6-Man Title belts, did they mention that at all?

LionHook < Hook VanDam < HookHausen

Mercedes and Rosa are both Little Lisa Simpson, Springfield's answer to a question no one asked.

Calling it now: Trent's turn is going to be explained with a "I was tired of losing/being with losers" style promo.

Swerve IS THE MAN. But, taking the chain to Joe just pissed him off even more, it reminded me of Step Brothers (as in, WHY DID YOU LET US DO IT? THIS WAS SUCH A BAD IDEA!)

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

Also, Toni Storm AGAIN with the lines of the night:

"Mariah May reminds me of a younger Toni Storm. Thunder Rosa reminds me of an OLDER Thunder Rosa."
"I hope they don't activate the under desk camera"
"This chair is going to need to be reupholstered."

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Copeland's rah-rah, I love wrestling and AEW speech didn't really work that well. He was taking a lot of breaks for the crowd to react but it sounded like there were only 10 people in the crowd, and the reactions weren't that big. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

Mercedes has to come out and stare down Willow after she wins the belt, then raise her hand in the ring before a sneak attack. You can't keep her as a face when she's interrupting wholesome promos. That was so dang babyface it wasn't even funny with Willow saying the crowd gives her strength and that someone who looks like her can make it. Then we get a hijacking by someone else and dancing afterward. Whattaheel.

Watching the Copeland promo and while the crowd was trying to be attentive and listen it makes this sound more like a speech than a promo. It also becomes clear that it's kinda directionless. When he says he asked for the time and was given it I go "no no no, not on TV at least, do it after the cameras are off!" Sigh. Whoa, where'd his belt come from?! He just said he came out without it and then he's got it when Ospreay enters! The hell?!

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 3

I’m sure the bad faith grifters loved the Punk interview as a rallying cry but the interview wasn’t that bad. It’s a massive lack of perspective not to realize for the actual fanbase it was the cuts that were the problem this week.

• Like 2

Jay White isn't supposed to be the Stan Hansen of AEW, he's supposed to be the Rat Boy Ogawa. The Billy Gunn match went exactly the way it was supposed to.

Besides which, it was a night where we had Will vs Will*, and Willow, and Billy. It was a night for the Billiams. Obviously Mr Gunn was going to do well.

*The World was wondering, will Will win, or will Will beat Will?

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, AxB said:

Jay White isn't supposed to be the Stan Hansen of AEW, he's supposed to be the Rat Boy Ogawa. The Billy Gunn match went exactly the way it was supposed to.

Besides which, it was a night where we had Will vs Will*, and Willow, and Billy. It was a night for the Billiams. Obviously Mr Gunn was going to do well.

*The World was wondering, will Will win, or will Will beat Will?

Battle of wills.

Battle of willpower.

When there's a will, there's a way.

Damnit, Natural!

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, a few things real quick. Both challenges for Ospreay and Danielson were good stuff! I'm shocked that Hobbs is the one guy in the Callis Family who took the loss to Ospreay very badly. He was also trying to destroy Ospreay in the process! I wonder when Callis sees that Ospreay has outgrown the Family and tries to take him out?

When Trent turned on OC, the look on Chuck's face was that of sadness, but not at all shocked or surprised. Like he knew it was inevitable.

I'll write more when I have the time.

OK, what else... I think Matthew Jackson should be SUED for almost kicking that poor woman!

The way Billy Gunn vs Jay White went, there's no other way for this to go, but for BCG to win (unify?) the Trios Titles.

I see Bucks vs Top Flight finals, but that could go either way. I bet Bucks will win though.

Edited by Shartnado
added stuff
  • Like 3

Hobbs looked SO good against Ospreay. So so good. That match followed by Dragon v Murderhawk was chef's kiss. Didn't even hate the Cope promo but it was definitely a little much. 

Family stuff took over shortly after so I'll catch the rest on DVR later. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EVA said:

Yeah this BCG/Acclaimed feud just gets worse and worse. Everybody involved is less over than they were before. Need to move on. Quickly.

I think that's the plan, with BCG going over.  Especially if Max is in the doghouse again.   BCG needs to move on to bigger things, and Jay needs singles gold somehow soon.

Something overlooked is how good Willow looked last night.  That promo was one of the best babyface promos done in AEW by anyone, it was Eddie-level.  She looks like she belonged with Mone, and even outshined her a bit.  Willow looked like a megastar.

My fiancee also mentioned that she thought Stat looked like Abigail Thorn last night (and she loved both Willow and Stat!)

• Like 3

Not sure if I can watch this week because I really don’t want to see Best Friends break up. Ever. They should have been kept like The New Day — forever friends who stick with each other no matter what.

As someone put it: The episodes that end with Best Friends standing talk are the best episodes of AEW. The thing that finally made me check out AEW was not Punk or Danielson. It was the end of Arcade Asylum. Wrestling perfection: A goofy hardcore match, Rusev wrecking shop, Stat popping out of a video game, Sue driving off in the mini-van, the gang celebrating with a group hug as “Where Is My Mind?” plays and Tony Schiavonne screaming that we have to go while plugging The Accountant coming up next!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

TK should really run BCG/Acclaimed at Dynasty to unify the trios titles and end this feud.

I was hoping this was where it was leading, but noticed Jay White had a new dsigned ROH Six Man Title on. You don't purchase a new belt design for a belt you're about to scrap. Fuck.