DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/29 - 12/5/2023 - Continental Breakfast

Dolfan in NYC

This was a damn good two hours of wrestling.

Brody/Claudio were two guys whaling on eachother and making it seem like they were both actually struggling with eachother.

Abbadon shows up and actually wins, plus there's an indication of a Julia Hart Program which should be great.

The Iron Savages are there too and I would have much rather have heard them do one of their tribute promos to coked up 80s hosses than Roddy's attempts at comedy.

The HOB match was your average JTTS match, but the setup of a program with FTR is all kinds of awesome.

Toni Storm is still awesome.

I thought Garcia might get an upset victory here, but nah. Match was fine though.

Danielson and Eddie predictably beat the piss out of eachother for all our enjoyment.

7 minutes ago, zendragon said:

we all ready have an Abadon so is he Mantas or Chronos?

If he turns but Wheeler doesn't, does he rebrand the team as FTR, Inc?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

I'm a little scared to ask this, but: is it still possible for someone who's 0-2 to win the tournament? Best they can do in the round robin stage is 3-2, obviously.

It's very hard. For example, if Brody wins another match Eddie is finished. If Danielson wins two more matches Eddie is finished.

20 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

If he turns but Wheeler doesn't, does he rebrand the team as FTR, Inc?

Venom, Inc. are A W E S O M E live.

I feel like I'm going to need Steiner Maths to figure out who wins this tourney and how. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Just now, zendragon said:

has it been elaborated if the knockout round is just the winners from each group of more?

My understanding is that the winners of each round-robin face off at Worlds End. I could be misinformed, of course.

Continental Classic is always delivering the goods in the ring.

Excited for a potential Abadon/Julia Hart battle of darkness feud. Loved Skye's promo in response to Toni, that was killer. 

Also looking forward to Keith Lee vs Shane Taylor finally happening, 1 year since their great tag match at last year's Final Battle. 5 years in the making, surprised they've never faced one on one. 

Still find Roderick's screaming of first names hilarious.  "SAMOA!!!.... joe".  

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Tony called Claudio's Death Valley Driver a "Canadian Destroyer" 🤷‍♂️

Danielson and KIngston ruled.  Both guys were all red and welted up by the end, including half of Eddie's face.  I could see Eddie going on a winning streak now and that "Eddie is a Bum" sign coming back to bite Danielson in the ass

This is the third or fourth week in a row that Tony has mistakenly called something a Destroyer/Canadian Destroyer on Collision. At this point I’m starting to wonder if it’s just a gag or bit and one day he’ll actually call it right.

Man, it looked like Claudio’s chest was going to burst when he was doing the giant swing on Brody. His chest was just puffed out so much trying to support Brody’s weight. Brody is everything I want in a wrestler. That guy fucking rules.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

This is the third or fourth week in a row that Tony has mistakenly called something a Destroyer/Canadian Destroyer on Collision. At this point I’m starting to wonder if it’s just a gag or bit and one day he’ll actually call it right.

I'd lean towards it's a bit considering how in the 1990s he had a stretch where he called like six different moves a sidewalk slam and by the third time it felt intentional.

• Like 2

The only thing that worries me about a Julia Hart vs Abadon program is that someone will have the bright idea that the mist will do the opposite impact and she turns into some early Skye Blue or cheerleader Julia character.  She needs to stay as she is or even MORE demonic 

• Like 1

Wow, Eddie's in deep shit! Danielson and Andrade on the board now. Another Huge win for Brody! I thought that since he beat Eddie, there is a definite chance he could also beat Claudio, but still bit surprised when it actually happened. Poor Garcia, too!

Moxley is banged up but he's facing RUSH who's got a bad wheel himself. Moxley's biggest matches are the last two. Having to face White and Swerve in back to back matches, after facing RUSH, you would think that one of those guys gets a win over him? Maybe who ever is lucky enough to get the last crack at him?

I'm very much looking forward to FTR vs Black/Matthews. Matt Sydal had a great showing once again in the losing effort to HOB.

Vikingo vs Sabian was nice, but nothing too special, aside from 3 big spots by Vikingo.

Main event was fantastic, but I think Claudio vs Brody was even more fascinating.

Abadon beating Hogan leading up to a future shot at Julia was nice. It's good that challengers usually get at least one win to build them up.

As much as it seems that Roddy isn't really hurt, I have to say he is funny in a very annoying way. I do think that the apparent earnesty of The Kingdom is what sells the humor, but it will be interesting to see if these guys are in on the deal or not. But if Roddy says MJF is the Devil, I'm pretty much 100% convinced that in that case, he's NOT!

Good episode, we even got a match booked to Final Battle! Available for the price of Honor Club, yay!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hammerva said:

The only thing that worries me about a Julia Hart vs Abadon program is that someone will have the bright idea that the mist will do the opposite impact and she turns into some early Skye Blue or cheerleader Julia character.  She needs to stay as she is or even MORE demonic 

I believe Abadon uses "they" pronouns. (And it sounded like somebody clued Tony Schiavone in mid-match, as he switched from using "she" to "they".)

And I don't know. The mist having the opposite effect on Abadon would be pretty funny. You're probably right that it would be a bad idea for the character in the long run, though.

Re: Rampage Baby
OC/Dan H/Trent/Hook v 2.0/DO was a good warm-up dark match, but not much of a TV bout. Ruby/Saraya/Anna promo was good. The truncated Flair/Sting promo was a solid TV segment and good edit. Stat/Hikaroo/Skye promo wasn't particularly great, but PROMOS TO SET-UP MATCHES ON THE SHOW! AmIrite! Callis Family squash. Ha, now Hobbs' shitty 'In Action' creative is poisoning the Takeshita and Fletcher waters. Fuck this shit, gimme a competitive win against contracted lower card talent. Please. Don Callis promo time makes for beautiful television. Nana/Cage/Workhorses promo was good! Skimmed Anna/Saraya/Ruby v Stat/Hikaroo/Skye. Skye really oughtta make that shitty finisher a mid-match near fall spot and only with ppl she can hit it with. Anna Jay is quietly becoming a star. Cage/Workhorses v Vikingo/Penta/Kommander had some flashes of brilliance, but was mostly trad Rampage blah. Not a great show, but this week of Television has featured a lot of necessary promos/packages and the shows/performers are/and will benefit from this. I liked the production effort here.

Re: Collision
Awesome Promo montage to begin! Wouldn't hurt to have the ladies featured in there. Claudio v Brody was fucking awesome! Felt like it could go either way, but I support the Brody ascent. Moxley promo was solid but seemed to feature some Steiner like math. Jon's feelings suggest he needs time off more than matches. Abadon v Kiera was a decent TV bout. Ugh, I fucking loathe AEW™️ lights out. Joe/Roddy/Kingdom promo was more 2023 Roddy excellence. Andrade v Garcia was terrific pro wrestling. Easily forgotten sandwiched between the higher profile CC bouts, but this was crisp, solid, excellent action. Wardlow video/Willie Mack promo! Everybody is getting a microphone tonight, and I am thrilled! I won't assume Mack-Wardlow gets time, but if it does, it could be really good. Underrated Mack finds ways to get the crowds. I'm daydreaming now of all the excellent hope spots. Kingdom v Savages was a good squash. Send the Savages to Japan please. BTW Kaun/Toa looked strong in the bout I saw against Narita/Umino. I never tire of any of these Roddy tropes especially his post match attacks/surges. Ethan Page promo! I like the gentlemanly way in which he challenged Omega. I'm into that! So thrilled to see AEW utilize/value the use of promos/packages! Like the WIllow/Mercedes video package! That's how ya do it! Mercedes is a fun heel. Buddy/Black v Sydal/Daniels was an excellent TV match. Fuck 'In Action' this is the kind of competitive win that gets talent over. Malakai promo following was the best I can remember from him. Sooooo stoked for FTR v HOB. Toni/Skye promos were very good/good and important. Christian/Adam! video was excellent. Stoked! Vikingo v Sabian was solid. Keith Lee/Shane Taylor promo was terrific. Glad this feud isn't the next Swerve/Keith. A match worth seeking the Final Battle for. I'm hoping it ends with a handshake and a return of the Pretty Boy Killers. Lee Moriarity is a stylish man. Miro/CJ promo was good. Miro continues to disappear for weeks at a time and it's a bit irritating. CJ's good with the mic. Danielson v Kingston to no one's surprise was the grade A excellence expected from two of the best contemporary workers. I worry so much about Bryan, but the tension absolutely sells the sizzle. Ha, if anybody but Bryan held up a sign after victory with the losing opponent's name 'is a bum' there'd be a line-up of ppl calling it a burial. I liked it here and I like Eddie fighting from an 0-2 deficit. Great show! And great week of AEWTV. I like the fire the (Mall Punk) competition places in the belly of All Elite Wrestling! #AEWRTMFW

• Like 2