DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/29 - 12/5/2023 - Continental Breakfast

Dolfan in NYC

Real quick: did OC ever get to make that announcement he got cut-off on the other week? I say this because I wonder if the third belt on the table is going to be his International title, and there is no Continental belt. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part due to the sheer number of belts right now, but it seems kinda weird to me to create a new title for the specific purpose of unifying it with two others.

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Real quick: did OC ever get to make that announcement he got cut-off on the other week? I say this because I wonder if the third belt on the table is going to be his International title, and there is no Continental belt. Perhaps just wishful thinking on my part due to the sheer number of belts right now, but it seems kinda weird to me to create a new title for the specific purpose of unifying it with two others.

I think the announcement was Danhausen being back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still haven’t seen last week’s Rampage, finished Collision last night and the two CC matches were great, really wanted Garcia to win and glad for Brody on his big upset (or is it?). The rest of the show was pretty off, lots and lots of botches. Hell, even the main event saw Brody almost kill Kingston on Dante’s Inferno and a pin where one of Eddie’s shoulders was clearly on top of Brody’s leg. Also, Bill’s promo was wild and out of left field and I think it caught Ricky off-guard although he recovered well.

Really excited about the CC matches on both shows, expecting Briscoe and Rush to top their stiffness and violence from last week. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The "Emi makes the champ look like a million bucks" tour continues against Julia Hart tonight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched as shit for this - but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that part of me is still holding out for a "Champ Emi makes her challengers and self look like a million" tour.

Side note: speaking of joshis, is Yuka still under contract? I was thinking about her the other day when I was reading Gord's video game post (she's one of the few women in it, and I always thought that she was an interesting inclusion).

• Like 2

I still have yet to finish Collision but really want to watch Eddie vs. Brody.

Tonight's Dynamite card looks fun, especially Mark Briscoe vs. Rush. Can't remember if these two ever squared off in a singles bout in ROH but I know there was that AMAZING match from ROH TV with the Briscoes against Rush & Dragon Lee.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched as shit for this - but I'd be a liar if I didn't say that part of me is still holding out for a "Champ Emi makes her challengers and self look like a million" tour.

Side note: speaking of joshis, is Yuka still under contract? I was thinking about her the other day when I was reading Gord's video game post (she's one of the few women in it, and I always thought that she was an interesting inclusion).

I think she's supposed to be coming back next year when she finishes her Japan commitments.

• Like 1

Oof. Seven second delay button guy was not on his game tonight. 

I thought for sure Swerve/Switchblade was going to be the first draw of the tourney. Cool to see them go with Swerve there. He wrestled a really good babyface match. Wonder if it’s a bit of a test run?

• Like 6

Things I remember from this week's edition of AEW Dynamite:

I tuned in 10 minutes late. So not sure if anything happened then.

Moxley beats Lethal. They might go all the way to having Lethal go 0-5

Ric Flair's suits look like grandma's living room. Sting will work his final match in Greensboro.

Rush beating Briscoe was a bit of a surprise. I wonder if they'll give Briscoe a win over someone other than Lethal.

MJF was almost attacked by ninjas until Samoa Joe made a save. Then the Black Scorpion issued a challenge via CeeFax for next week.

Tony Atlas wishes he had Luther's job but I could think of a few reasons why that would have not gone well.

Wardlow got another squash

Somehow The Hardyz and their protege/pinfall-taker vs Dante Martin and Dante Martin's partner and Action Andretti led off an hour

Julia Hart forgot the house rules, which I didn't even know, and then she won anyways while Emi's legs wiggled.

Christian was kicked in the balls in response to his efforts to get out of wrestling Edge. TWFKA Edge then said fuck on TBS. Ideas for Christian to get out of his match next week: (1) refuse to job in his home country, and (2) insist that Edge not be allowed to appear on TBS until he apologizes for swearing on the Superstation.

Swerve beat Jay White, just to set up the echelons for the Dynamite Group.

After tonight, I guess Kissinger wasn't gonna be MJF's devil.

• Like 3

We were knee-deep in a conversation on the Discord during that, but what I made note of was really good and Swerve's grill grin is so, so good. I've really turned around on him. I (considering me) guess death matches don't hurt? 😄

The rest of the card was really solid. Jay Lethal was probably the worst part of the night and I can't even get fully mad at him, it's just his TNA vibe. Mox did the best thing ever in just turtling up to avoid the dumb-ass Lethal Injection. Rush vs. Chicken was a fuckin potato harvest and maybe the best part was Rush using the commercial break to play possum and recover. Wardlow at least got to squash someone cuz they're not doing anything else with him. Christian still has the most heat ever. Emi and Julia had another great, stiff match beside the finish*. Andretti got a face-off with Jeff Hardy that probably made this the night of his life! So aside from below (and I'll forgive foot fetishists their obsession) this was a great show. 

* Please folks -- start placing your spots when taking moonsaults better. You are not Sabu in 1994, landing face-first in somebody's midsection but nobody cares because they've never seen it before. Make it look right. (Easy for me to say, but still.) 

And Flair is still wearing people's couch cushions hahaha. This is sad to say, but it would be so cool if Tully was there right now with him and Arn. As the man once said about his role in the Horsemen, "you need a blasting cap". 

EDIT again: Okay now this is a trip. What if JAKE entered the picture as the bad influence that led to Sting getting turned on again? To take a historical-revision turn, what if he was in the Tully spot in the Horsemen instead of in New York, or even alongside Tully? Holy shit.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

This is so cool to think about. 

Ric

Arn

Tully

Jake Roberts. 

The mics might have melted down from the talent speaking into them. 

EDIT: Oh god I just remembered that Jake and Sting did the Coal Miner's Glove match. WCW man... WCW.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

This is exactly what The Devil would say.

My casual fan people have been asking me all these questions this week and the "news cycle" as it exists has prevented me from finding much joy in engaging w/ the good ol' IWC, so I'll say this; Five consecutive singles matches from [everyone in the CC field] is balm. If there was ever a time I needed people to just shut the fuck up and pro-wrestle, it might be now. The man who inspired this thought is, of course, Rush.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Log said:

Oof. Seven second delay button guy was not on his game tonight. 

I thought for sure Swerve/Switchblade was going to be the first draw of the tourney. Cool to see them go with Swerve there. He wrestled a really good babyface match. Wonder if it’s a bit of a test run?

Fancy Danielson/Kingston to be the first draw.

I'd say it's a test run for Swerve Strickland. Face or heel, he's a future AEW World Champion. Can see Swerve winning it at next year's Double or Nothing and going into All In vs. Will Ospreay as the headliner.

• Like 4

*googles the Greensboro Coliseum ring announcer from the 1980s*

oh he died in 1993, at 52.

also, if anybody has any polaroids of Sting vs Flair from 1988, please contact Tony so he can use a photo of Sting/Flair on AEW TV that isn't owned by the WWE (hell, might be a solid idea to ask for fan photos of Sting over the years for a montage at that show, think about it TK)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They might have already did this and I forgot, but we need to have a vignette go to Wardlow's house only to have it be loaded with evidence that he's throwing axes at photos of MJF or something insane like that

Anyways, some people are commenting on the state of Wardlow's hair on a night that the ninjas got some ring action with MJF earlier in the card.

Hey wait a minute... wouldn't Wardlow also have a reason to hate Samoa Joe on-screen too?

54 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

*googles the Greensboro Coliseum ring announcer from the 1980s*

oh he died in 1993, at 52.

also, if anybody has any polaroids of Sting vs Flair from 1988, please contact Tony so he can use a photo of Sting/Flair on AEW TV that isn't owned by the WWE (hell, might be a solid idea to ask for fan photos of Sting over the years for a montage at that show, think about it TK)

Yeah, Truckin' Tom Miller has been dead for a hot minute.