DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/29 - 12/5/2023 - Continental Breakfast

Dolfan in NYC

Such a fun show! The Mox v Lethal opener was totally on point. Lethal is such an underappreciated midcard hand. Nice Eddie Kingston promo. Allotting an increase in weekly promo time for the King is a really good play. The Bryan Danielson promo follow up was even better. Danielson was excellent on commentary. I hope he considers taking a regular chair at the desk after 'retirement'. I really liked the traditional style Sting/Ric Flair local promo. Tho, 'rehearsing' was obviously a terrible word choice, and really oughtta required a second take. Briscoe v Rush was so fucking great! AEW please stop Mark from doing the Elbow to the floor in any match but the most important. I want/need this beautiful toothless man healthy for years to come. Toni Storm promo was good. She's on track. MJF promo was excellent. A nice bounce back from that nonsense last week. He sold the Joe bout so well. I loved the line about '(Joe) believeing in the three letters and not just lining his pockets.' It played nicely off the bland 'Money not friends' Punk promo from Raw. Big Haircut v AR Fox was so much better than Wardy's regular 'In Action' fare. Giving just wee little goes a lot further in showcasing his strengths. Top Flight/Action v Hardys/Zay was fun stuff. I was absolutely feeling the hometown Minneapolis crowd. So happy for Dante. Now let's get those straps off the accLAME and onto an actual fun trio - how bout Top Flight/Action? I loved that they followed up the big win with a Top Flight Promo after the break. That's exactly the kind of programming/presentation they need more of. So stoked for Top Flight/Action v Penta/Vikingo/Kommander. I skimmed passed most of Emi v Julia. I love Emi, but Julia still feels so far away from being a pushed title holder capable of actual good matches. Also, send the House rules to WWE catering with the wannabe Titans. Mariah May promo was alright. I watched some fun May/Stardom highlight packages recently, and am stoked to see her in an AEW ring. Unfuckingbelievably awesome Christian promo. I said Goddamn, goddamn! Big, big laughs over here. Christian sure is earning his money these days. After this fanfuckingtastic segment and Copeland's excellent promo on Saturday, I am so stoked for MTL! Kinda wanna go. Road Trip? Jay White v Swerve to no surprise was just wonderful. Danielson clearly loves Strickland and Jay. This show was an easy: 'AEWrulesthefuckingworld'! 

• Like 4

Enjoyed all the Continental matches, probably Briscoe/Rush the most. Love to see Rush get a win but sad to see Mark go down 0-2. 

Great MJF promo and Copeland/Christian segment.  Good to see Dante back, loved having him come face to face with Pentagon after the injury and setting up that trios match. 

Always enjoy Emi matches and Julia been killing it lately, fun stuff. 

Liked the Sting/Flair promo a lot. Bringing up Sting's 24-0 streak, always wanted him and Darby to at least get a title shot if not a short run. Gary Michael Cappetta came in back in the early days during the Jericho/Moxley 2020 feud, so should definitely be used again

• Like 3

in the spirit of house rules... my first "this stip will make it so the match will never end" stip would be "you can only win the match by disqualification" although that wouldn't help a challenger in a title match much at all

so... um... make it so the match can only end with a move that Julia Hart can't do, only for her to win by doing that move badly

or do the Powerbomb Match from WCW where the winner convinces the ref he hit a powerbomb behind the ref's back

I like the House Rules thing. I just don't think anyone's put the right amount of thought into it yet. It seemed to come and go with HoB on Collision. The "No Witches" one from the Best Friends was the best. It creates an element of ultimate creativity and a lot of times people don't want to think outside of the box like that. For instance, this shouldn't have been "No Submissions to end the match" but that the Heartless was Banned. There has to be some sort of pro wrestling logic to build to it. Rules create narrative opportunities.

I still have to get through the main but I liked Dynamite overall. Obviously a "Mox's leg gets worked over" match is going to go pretty well for me and Rush, with an obviously hurt leg, just powering through and throwing hands and Briscoe meeting him and creating all sorts of insane motion on barely plausible but entirely awesome throws was far better than the sum of its parts. It's so nice to see Dante back. He was moving with such grace and confidence. And yeah, for the most part the Emi/Julia match worked. Emi doing her thing during the commercial break is always a joy. I just have to actually get through the main now. It's been a busy day.

EDIT: Doubled back. Swerve vs White wasn't really for me. Some really fluid and impressive sequences but way too much of it was just move>counter>move>counter. There were some bits that showed you who these guys were early and obviously the blocked low blow was exactly that, but it needed more of leaning into who they were instead of what their movesets happened to be, because there's a lot of interesting stuff there. Just ended up like noise to me. Impressive, well-executed noise, but I wanted music.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

so... um... make it so the match can only end with a move that Julia Hart can't do, only for her to win by doing that move badly

So a Moonsault then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Julia's moonsault was really bad. And she positioned her really close to the turnbuckle which seemed odd to me, props to Emi for seeing it not working and trying to move into a better spot.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Log said:

Wardlow’s hair did look like the hair of someone who had just been wearing a mask. Also, the attacker with the bat had a similar build. 

I pointed this out to my son as we were watching, but he said, “No. Wardlow’s a tough guy. He would just fight MJF. Just like Samoa Joe.”

Wardlow's hair has been looking like this for a handful of weeks now since it got that point, as Curt mentioned, where he's trying to grow it out but he's also not using any product and not even wetting it down. It's just a big poof of hair until it gets long enough to be weighted down or pulled back like he used to have it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

And I have never wanted to strangle Meltzer more than when he went into old man mode and refused to even try to understand what Alvarez was saying about YTTV overruns, which have been a problem for awhile now. And then Meltzer said the exact thing Alvarez was saying should happen by building in a safety buffer/overrun for the YTTV DVR.

So please YTTV, just start recording 10 minutes extra for every episode of Dynamite. I don’t give a shit if it records the first few minutes of Young Sheldon or Modern Family or whatever the fuck.

I have YTTV and I haven’t had any problem with it recording the overrun. Plus there’s always the on demand version within a day or two 

• Like 1

As I was watching Swerve and Jay White doing their things against each other, headlining Dynamite as part of a mini-G1, I thought “damn, DEAN~! would really be loving this shit”

Good stuff throughout. I had successfully avoided the Dante injury until now, and wish I still had. I thought he looked good while still not ready to go full on Dante.

Emi saved Julia’s pretty face tonight. Up until that point it was a really solid match.

Rush-Briscoe was even stiffer than I expected, and they did a great job adjusting to Rush’s leg.

Sting-Flair-Tony was goofy shit that I loved. Christian-Copeland was excellent stuff that really made me care about the feud. And MJF’s promo more than made up for last week’s dud, and put Joe and AEW over big time.

Like others, I’m worried the Devil angle is going to disappoint, and I’m ready for it to end soon. I also think the original intention of the original Cole-MJF angle was for Cole to turn on him, but now I’m not sure they can do that.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I have YTTV and I haven’t had any problem with it recording the overrun. Plus there’s always the on demand version within a day or two 

I'm almost always watching the same day though, just an hour to two hours behind if I'm doing bedtime duties with my daughter and then doing dishes or whatever. So when I go to watch, it cuts off if there's an overrun. The weird thing is that sometimes if I go back to my library in YTTV, restart the show, and fast forward to the end, the overrun is captured. It's not all the time, but it does work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Enough Wardlow hair talk, more talk about how he's apparently eliminated leg day from his workout routine.

He did say in his first video package when he returned that he SAT at home for three (or four?) months. Maybe he was being really literal about that?

Oh, and since people are talking about the overrun and such, the DAZN feed is usually about 30 minutes longer than the actual show. Not only does that take away any problems with overruns but it also blurrs the time when the show is "supposed" to go off the air. I sort of see this as not spoiling the length of the main event each week. I can appreciate that.

Edited by Shartnado
Overrun thoughs added

7 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

TK as Hornswoggle? Is he even Irish? 

Everyone knows the Irish devil is Conor MacGregor.  

Actually... yikes, TK don't do that.   

(Also, pls tickets for the next Jags home game thx)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

an ice coffin match where you win by putting your opponent in a coffin full of icecubes

Matsunaga already did that in Big Japan back in the day. I think I remember probably Schneider writing about how he was trying to put dry ice in Shadow WX's mouth 😆

Oh my god here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcL2FNFPjWY&ab_channel=RaffertyWestmore

Oh, oh no. They had not only the ice but Mr. Pogo's sickle attachment on the END OF A DRILL. Shoji Nakamaki shows up wearing a suit (?!). But in a match with that, you know what was the craziest thing? Greak Kojika, who I remember was referred to as "a gaunt and elderly man", busting out a freakin' hiptoss in a death match. The Rick Steamboat of Big Japan, ladies and gentlemen! 

15 hours ago, zendragon said:

Ric Flair has apparently killed, skinned and is wearing the hide of a pimp

I keep saying he's wearing someone's upholstery. I hope the furniture store bled him dry for that.

• Haha 2