DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/25 - 10/31/2023 - A Lethal Lottery

Dolfan in NYC

Ah. I did catch the bit Jay was saying about "hurry up, we've got to go to the pawn shop!" which was really funny. I guess I just didn't question the context at all. 

Guess nothing really happened to Dragon? Really, after so many honest injuries, it's getting to the 'not funny' stage when you keep working them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Guess nothing really happened to Dragon? Really, after so many honest injuries, it's getting to the 'not funny' stage when you keep working them. 

I love Bryan Danielson but I don't like when he does that, ditto for other wrestlers as you are legitimately concerned for their welfare, don't work us like that. Does a disservice to those when actually injured IMO.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Claudio pulled some ridiculous counters out of his ass.  That's what you can do when you are a technical machine and also strong AF.

Is there legit heat between Yuta and Hook?  That shit looked a little personal.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

Isn't the whole point of pro wrestling to make everything look painful and legitimate? There have been countless worked injuries across every promotion all over the planet to either take someone off the road for a while or to set up a return later in a match, so why is Danielson acting like he had a broken jaw/cheekbone/eye socket any different?

I *did* get a chuckle out of Claudio demanding a bottle of water to help Danielson because nothing heals a broken jaw like... pouring water on it?

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

I'm really digging the absolute maelstrom of "stuff" around MJF. There's a really good kind of interconnected, logical chaos there that's exciting. That's the stuff that got me into AEW in the first place, the lack of silos and the strings between stories. There was some of that in the main event too.

Eeeeuuuugggghhhhh - I could do without Ric Flair appearing. I'm not gonna cheer a sex offender.

Does Luther appearing as the Butler mean the end of SAP?? Maybe now we can get that Angelico singles run?? A boy can dream, right?

Nice that there were some Chikara mainstays running the main event in Philly. OC Claudio should be a banger.

• Like 5

Danielson's talked about his philosophy re: working injuries and stuff like getting his foot stuck in the ramp over the years.  He's so good, he unfortunately gets legit hurt all the time, and "AH MY ORBITAL BONE" is random and believable, so yeah.  I don't like when he teases concussions and randomly spasms at all, that's kind of crossing into cruelty to the fans with his history.  If it was a work though I'd love to know the motivation.  Get a bigger number for the overrun?  Build to Okada II?  I didn't even see what he got hit with and the announcers didn't seem to know what was going on.  Weird ending after a flat finish to a fun match

I didn't see the announcement about Okada so you can imagine my shock when he showed up on a graphic early in the show.  I was planning on watching anyway but you should probably advertise something that big more than 24 hours ahead of time on social media unless it came together last minute.  I had no clue about it going in and I bet a lot of other people didn't either.  Is he in the states for another show this week?

I liked the Jericho promo with Renee and the Big Show tease, love me some JeriShow.  Good use for Paul Wight.

The open to the show with fired up MJF was great.  Fired up MJF was great in the match!  This is the babyface version of him I want to see, dial back the comedy and dial up the intensity.  Fun match.  Love Juice Robinson's theme music.  Acclaimed got a huge pop making the save, they've built this stuff with MJF up well and nursed Acclaimed back to relevance.  Setup for the trios titles with BCG and the Kingdom as well.  Good stuff, I feel like the booking around MJF has been really on point the last several weeks after the Cole injury derailed things.  Personally I'm way more into BCG stealing the BBB and a half dozen guys gunning for MJF than I was the Cole stuff because we're back to actual fucking pro-wrestling

Kenny and MJF on Collision is certainly a choice.  Knew it was coming soon after they did the 13 day tease but it's one of the biggest matches they can do right now.  I know they need strong ratings right now but giving away one of your biggest PPV matches for free is pretty WCW

Speaking of WCW I got some real TNA vibes seeing Flair out there with Sting.  This was the one thing I had spoiled before I watched because it popped up on my youtube home page (note to self: add youtube to list of places to avoid when not watching live).  It's Flair.  It's a cool moment in Philly for the Sting retirement tour and I don't really want to see him on TV beyond that.  I feel like Flair went into business for himself saying he wanted to be around til March.  I guess maybe if they kept him to a minimum in goofy backstage skits with Danhausen etc. I wouldn't mind it

Christian got a legit LOL from me when he was like, "relax, relax...I know Ric Flair's not dead" after the crowd reacted to the Weekend at Bernies line 😄

First time in a while I'd seen Brother Zay, thought he was the star of that match

Are The Outcasts still a thing or not?  Ruby is still using the entrance and the music

One of the more memorable Dynamites in a while, pretty good crowd (they were only really dead during the first half of the trios)

• Like 3

They announced Okada on last week's show, and hyped his appearance on their socials heavily for the last seven days. And right at the start of, and throughout, this show.

I'm very into this version of MJF. Loved the dissonance of him going for the kangaroo kick while being a bloody mess from biting the wound. It's not real life logical but it's pro wrestling logical in the best way. By far his biggest test is going to be Kenny. Is he going to give in to what's easy and drop parts of his act for the low hanging workrate fruit or is he going to find a way to marry that with what Omega brings to the table.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Casey said:

Give me more of supervillain Swerve, that was great shit.

It was fantastic, riveting stuff... to the point that I'm not sure how they can pay it off short of Hangman flat-out murdering Swerve. I love that even his heater Nana was like "dude."

Very amused at them holding a PPV called "World's End" at the Nassau Mausoleum. Been there, can confirm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

They announced Okada on last week's show, and hyped his appearance on their socials heavily for the last seven days. And right at the start of, and throughout, this show.

It wasn't announced on Dynamite last week, I watched that show and would have remembered such a thing.  I mentioned the graphic early in the show, that's how I found out!

Looked it up and apparently it was announced on Collision Saturday.  Didn't catch that show, I'm not on twitter and didn't check this board for a few days, completely missed it.  Outside of the bubble I can't be alone in that.  Still seems like unless it was booked on Saturday it could have been promoted better

• Like 1

Despite it being Ric Flair it was a nice moment for Sting especially if he didn't know it was coming.  Christian's promo was incredible though and when talking about Flair it was oddly cathartic.  It leading to Sting showing tough love to Adam was really great as well.

As for the main it didn't fully hit me until 9:20 what we were getting.  It wasn't just Okada but it was also him interacting with the other three which was exciting on all counts.  Then there was the idea of Orange interacting with Danielson which greatly excited me since I've been begging for a singles match.  So not only did we get that but we also got Okada/Claudio for a bit and the incredible stretch with Orange/Claudio.  I loved all of it.  Yeah, the ending was a bit flat and the post-match was strange.  But I sensed it was a work and compared to other selling Bryan did in the past this didn't bother me.  We'll see how things play out though in the next couple weeks.  Oh, and to respond to Natural's PM I don't regret going.  It would have been fun to see this live but it worked out with me staying home.

4 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

It wasn't announced on Dynamite last week, I watched that show and would have remembered such a thing.  I mentioned the graphic early in the show, that's how I found out!

Looked it up and apparently it was announced on Collision Saturday.  Didn't catch that show, I'm not on twitter and didn't check this board for a few days, completely missed it.  Outside of the bubble I can't be alone in that.  Still seems like unless it was booked on Saturday it could have been promoted better

I'm caught up on AEW aside from Collision so it was a surprise to me.  Only way I found out was when they put a Youtube short on Tuesday night.  I thought I somehow missed it when they put up clips from Collision on Sunday morning but it wasn't there.  So long story short I agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really dug the part of the show I saw. Will finish tonight.

I also really like the “MJF reaping what he’s sown” thing going on. I always hate when a heel turns babyface and all the other baby faces magically forget what a piece of shit the turned heel used to be. MJF still doesn’t have any friends except adam Cole, who may or may not be plotting against him. 

Nick Wayne looks like the dude who sang that “Rise up Ting Ting” song that was in every movie trailer for like 4 months. Or Matt Rife’s equally mundane brother.

• Like 3

There's some kinda graph overlap of "working injuries" to "real injuries" that he's ellipsed more times than is necessary, I think. Yeah it's part of wrestling. But when you do it too much, or you've always got someone thinking you're really hurt, it loses its luster.

It hit me during the main event that this Dynamite had three guys on it that are considered by quite a few fans to be the best wrestler of all time. Danielson, Flair and Okada would all get a lot of first-place votes if you polled wrestling fans on that. Hell, you have to think in some circles, Omega would get a few votes too. So maybe four?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm sad they cut the part where Swerve ground his feet into Hangman's couch.

If they'd have come out of the baby's room to find Nana doing that on their couch, I'd have lost it.

• Haha 7

Also, I'll admit to being a casual but Rainmaker seemingly making fun of Dragon while he was injured ... what were they going for?   ("I know you're faking." (face) or "Next time I'll break something else." (heel) or something else I'm completely misreading?)