DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/25 - 10/31/2023 - A Lethal Lottery

Dolfan in NYC

11 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I haven't been watching every AEW show, but they didn't do a "MJF has had his ring stolen" angle at the same time that they're doing an "MJF has had his AEW title stolen" angle.. right?

I think Juice's ring was called a fake ring or something though

It's a $29.95 "cubic zarconium" he got from TJ Maxx!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Y’all know I love some Best Friends but I completely blanked on Hook being BF/CHAOS-adjacent. When did that happen?

JeriShow/ShoMiz-era Big Show is top 3 of that dude’s career: WCW run, 2007 from his return with Mayweather through the amazing Undertaker match at No Mercy that fall, and then the tag teams. That’s the list. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Y’all know I love some Best Friends but I completely blanked on Hook being BF/CHAOS-adjacent. When did that happen?

He and Orange Cassidy bonded over being taciturn and chill. They teamed at least once, maybe a couple of times.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm sad they cut the part where Swerve ground his feet into Hangman's couch.

I can assure you that a lot of the crowd was yelling "fuck yo couch" and hoping it would happen.

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The first time Juice said that, I thought he said pubic zirconium, and I was disappointed that it wasn’t a running bit. 

Wait, I'm very certain he said pubic on Collision when he talked about the ring because that would be something he would do.  I also had it in my head that he said it one time and was told to say it correctly going forward.

Does this mean we're in a very recent Mandela Effect with what Juice said?  How did we end up here?  Why am I asking such things?  Oy, excuse me as I need to borrow Toni's fainting couch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

If they'd have come out of the baby's room to find Nana doing that on their couch, I'd have lost it.

"Boss! I'm done with his couch! Let's go!"

I was thinking they should have turned around all the furniture and opened the blinds and left the toilet seat up and shit, like a poltergeist.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Log said:

It hit me during the main event that this Dynamite had three guys on it that are considered by quite a few fans to be the best wrestler of all time. Danielson, Flair and Okada would all get a lot of first-place votes if you polled wrestling fans on that. Hell, you have to think in some circles, Omega would get a few votes too. So maybe four?

Agreed. Had to...

1. Bryan Danielson.

2. Kazuchika Okada.

3. Ric Flair.

4. Kenny Omega.

Top two was easy. Latter two hard.

38 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, I'll admit to being a casual but Rainmaker seemingly making fun of Dragon while he was injured ... what were they going for?   ("I know you're faking." (face) or "Next time I'll break something else." (heel) or something else I'm completely misreading?)

As a big Kazuchika Okada fan, the latter (heel) plus Bryan Danielson made Kazuchika Okada tap out at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2023. It's only the second time in eleven years Okada has tapped out since returning as the Rainmaker from excursion at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 6. Even Zack Sabre Jr was never permitted to submit Okada and Submission Master is ZSJ's gimmick, Submission Master used to be in his NJPW entrance video. Okada plays a great dickhead. Here's the best example:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbT9fIZfHUE&t=130s&pp=ygUYb2thZGEgcHJvIHdyZXN0bGluZyBub2Fo

Hope this helps.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Wait, I'm very certain he said pubic on Collision when he talked about the ring because that would be something he would do.  I also had it in my head that he said it one time and was told to say it correctly going forward.

Does this mean we're in a very recent Mandela Effect with what Juice said?  How did we end up here?  Why am I asking such things?  Oy, excuse me as I need to borrow Toni's fainting couch.

I concur that he said 'pubic' the first appearance of the ring and not on subsequent appearances.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

It was fantastic, riveting stuff... to the point that I'm not sure how they can pay it off short of Hangman flat-out murdering Swerve.

Yeah there was a bit of “why is this happening” in the Swerve stuff. Did I miss some middle step or did this feud go directly from “Swerve and Hangman cost each other big matches” to “Swerve has broken into Hangman’s house”

As noted before, some real WWE angle vibes from that one

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

1994 Nikolai Volkoff had a better suit than Flair when he did that gimmick

Interesting choice to have MJF wrestle twice at Full Gear. The Gunns are not the Revenant or the Retribution or whoever (already forgot), Max probably shouldn't beat them two on one without serious interference. Since he just beat Juice, if he does go over 3/4 of BCG in one night then it's curtains for that stable. I think Gunns win and Max retains in the main event

• Like 1

There’s probably a blaring “Angle Alert” siren for MJF/Omega on Saturday.

Like one of the people gunning for MJF will prevent Omega from winning the title because they want to beat MJF for the title.

Take your pick of Samoa Joe vs Omega or Wardlow vs Omega or what

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hope you had a great time, JLowe.

I did, it was overall a good to great night of wrestling, my wife got into it for the most part, and there were a lot of hilarious people around me. Full write-up coming later today after I'm off the clock 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Like one of the people gunning for MJF will prevent Omega from winning the title because they want to beat MJF for the title.

Guessing Joe after their interaction in the trainer's room, but regardless of the finish being a relatively foregone conclusion, everything that will precede it was enough to talk us into the building (specifically my better half; ever since Grand Slam I, she never misses a chance to see Omega live - he really made a new fan with that Danielson match)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Joe makes a lot of sense as Joe/Omega is one of those dream matches we haven’t seen in AEW that would look real nice at Full Gear

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Joe makes a lot of sense as Joe/Omega is one of those dream matches we haven’t seen in AEW that would look real nice at Full Gear

On a side note talking about PPV: it seems clear with World's End having been announced that we're moving to a monthly PPV model - I'm still optimistically holding out for some streaming deal news, but I'm a little bummed out we haven't gotten any yet.

Candidly, I'm really not looking forward to tripling my household's yearly PPV costs - you all know how I feel about the importance of AEW existing, so I always make it a point to 'vote with my wallet' - I've never pirated a single AEW PPV (other than once when BR's app failed on me, so I didn't even really pirate it since they got my $50 anyway). But man, without a Peacock-like deal, that shit is gonna add up for us quickly.

"Broke? Didn't you just say you spent a bunch of money on Collision tickets last night, Zakk?" Yes we did, shout out Capital One - what's in your wallet?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Probably my favorite thing AEW is doing right now is having so many wrestlers gunning for MJF. I know there are many "whys" that isn't the way wrestling usually does it, but even though we are used to it, it never made a lot of sense that so many wrestlers in a promotion are satisfied not going for the title. Some will always have their blood feuds going on, like Page/Swerve or Christian/anyone without a father, but for anyone else, why wouldn't they be going after for the champion? It adds a lot of intrigue on where they will go next, plus the subplot of MJF having no friends except someone with a broken foot, and someone else that wants to be his friend but he doesn't like. Its all been well done I think up to this point, hope they can keep it up.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Yeah in theory, MJF losing the tag match should create some sort of drama about his ability to come back and beat Jay White

I have no faith in TK booking this.  He beat both members of The Righteous single-handedly already.  That kind of thing kills your tag teams dead.

12 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Probably my favorite thing AEW is doing right now is having so many wrestlers gunning for MJF. I know there are many "whys" that isn't the way wrestling usually does it, but even though we are used to it, it never made a lot of sense that so many wrestlers in a promotion are satisfied not going for the title. Some will always have their blood feuds going on, like Page/Swerve or Christian/anyone without a father, but for anyone else, why wouldn't they be going after for the champion? It adds a lot of intrigue on where they will go next, plus the subplot of MJF having no friends except someone with a broken foot, and someone else that wants to be his friend but he doesn't like. Its all been well done I think up to this point, hope they can keep it up.

The live crowd was going crazy for the opening sequence starting with the MJF-Juice match to the Kenny Omega appearance. I haven't watched the televised show but everyone was loudly cheering for MJF to accept The Acclaimed's help and booed when he turned them down. Then the backstage Joe segment got another huge pop from the crowd. It's unique and it's working. So many different motivations, not being sure who you can trust, some touches of "my enemy's enemy is my friend". It's like a common battle royale storyline arc extended into full-blown angles for the World Title program.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I have no faith in TK booking this.  He beat both members of The Righteous single-handedly already.  That kind of thing kills your tag teams dead.

The Righteous are basically residing in ROH Country and the Gunns have been on AEW TV for awhile though

• Like 1