DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SEPTEMBER 2023

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

no no... Jackyl had long hair and Don Callis doesn't have any hair...

Recon and Sniper as the Discipline Committee is probably a better idea than exhuming the Harris Brothers for that gimmick

anything's a better idea than exhuming the Harris Bros for any gimmick

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

bro bro bro... what if this diva wins matches by spanking her opponents until they give up

Sorry for feeding the weirdos but Ozaki-gun in OZ Academy (cause Mayumi Ozaki loves her name being everywhere) was hitting motherfuckers with like real cat of nine tails and whips. 

That reminds me that Saori Anou in this new Japanese version WOW meets Lucha Underground is basically her in Ozaki-Gun while everyone else is playing against type.

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

But what do I know. I don't know these people. I've heard the locker room was pretty toxic before he ever got there, and some of the folks being labeled as "hard to work with" are victims of clique bullshit.

I remember when some people were surprised Sami and KO stayed with the WWE instead of jumping to AEW. I am sure there were reasons beyond money. Those dudes ended up headlining a WrestleMania. They made a very smart move.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I remember when some people were surprised Sami and KO stayed with the WWE instead of jumping to AEW. I am sure there were reasons beyond money. Those dudes ended up headlining a WrestleMania. They made a very smart move.

Don't forget that even if the public views them as HHH projects, Vince likes both of them.  Enough to something-like-blade for Kevin, and that the Sami heel turn is generally credited as Vince's idea. They knew they were in. The x factor is wondering if they offered KO vs. Austin pre-or-post negotiations.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Just now, Greggulator said:

During that period when Kevin's contract was coming up, WWE felt like it was at an all time low in terms of creativity and moral. Owens had a choice of either be apart of getting the ship back on course, or going to a company that, at the time, already had more talent than it knew what to do with.

Cody jumping and KO/Sami staying honestly was best for wrestling fans. WWE produced some of its best storytelling in years with them, which meant AEW had to step up its storytelling game as well.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Log said:

Oh, man. Busy night with the kids. Haven’t had a chance to watch Collision yet. I just skipped to the end of the thread here. Anything going on today? 

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

I can't sleep so go to this section of the board.

Sees this topic is hot and has jumped seven pages.

Wonders why before clicking.

Oh, CM Punk canned.

;).

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, username said:

I've seen people around saying stuff like this and it is funny but... the guy did main event the prior ppv. Doesn't make him a main eventer, but it also means he just isn't some random low carder. Perhaps he should be (I vote yes), but that's an argument for another day.

Fair enough, but it was in a multi men Programme. He is also the only one with no sort of role / featured involvement on the main card of the next big show. 

Tito Santana main evented that one Survivor Series with Ultimate Survivor's match in the end, I don't think he went "It's a leg drop, cry me a river" on the next wrestling challenge he was on and then tried to size up Hulk Hogan later that night. 

Before you assume that I'm talking down Perry (not a fan, not a hater): I really liked Tito Santana. 

God, not that low. Juicey Boy is fun IMO. Stupid yeah, but still fun. 

What is kinda crazy about this is I was watching the AWA Territories episode yesterday (which I drastically underrated in my scoring of all those episodes, it had an all-time Adrian + Bobby story, an all-time Mad Dog story, and the late Ken Patera himself explaining the Mickey Dee's story) and they talked about how Vince paid Hogan more money to stay home and he didn't do the right thing and lay down on his way out. Punk has been fired and can claim, already has in fact, that he's their champion. He's not laying down -- doing the right thing, as tradition would dictate, and what HE would probably dictate should be done if it was somebody else. This is complicated by him being fired but still. It's an interesting twist to everything. He didn't even lose his last match! 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

For setting a new low on the "ability to get over by being as cringey and distracting as possible" bar? He's this generation's Road Dogg. 

Road Dogg made a shit ton of money and was involved in some great shit. I also think he’s maybe the Attitude Era’s greatest success story. I’m not sure it’s an insult to be compared to him. Juice is doing exactly what he’s supposed to, and he’s tremendously entertaining. You want “repulsive dork?” Pick a Jackson or try adam Cole on for size…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

Road Dogg made a shit ton of money and was involved in some great shit. I also think he’s maybe the Attitude Era’s greatest success story. 

Yeah, Billy was always going to get more opportunities from Vince because he had a great physique and he could go. Roadie was on his way to finishing his contract with WWF jobbing on Shotgun and then tagging with his brother on WCW Saturday Night putting over High Voltage. He got an opportunity to get over and he made the most of it with a limited toolbox. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Yeah, Billy was always going to get more opportunities from Vince because he had a great physique and he could go. Roadie was on his way to finishing his contract with WWF jobbing on Shotgun and then tagging with his brother on WCW Saturday Night putting over High Voltage. He got an opportunity to get over and he made the most of it with a limited toolbox. 

I think he’s the most striking illustration of the difference in wwe between then and now. He and Billy asked for a chance to tag, they did, it worked, and no one in wwe got upset about it because they weren’t the chosen team to get over. Also, let’s not minimize that for how very, very mediocre he was as a worker, he could talk. He had a great understanding of catchphrase tv and how to, as JR would say, “maximize his minutes.” I get why he’s involved in the creative process. I just wish he were better at it.

Ill review Collision this afternoon.

• Like 1