DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

His uncle got more physical mileage out of stabbings and blood, didn't he?

As for an AEW topic... I've noticed that the WWE and AEW seemingly run TV in the same markets very close to each other (Laredo in the last few weeks, and Kansas City in a few weeks) and I wonder who's making the first move into scheduling things like that.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/ariel-helwani-details-reaction-to-tony-khan-tweet-reply-wwe-montreal-experience

Helwani is ridiculous saying "I'm not a wrestling journalist!" while covering it on his show, doing friendly interviews with people from WWE and getting paid for it.Ā  I don't pay much attention to him but from the outside it looks like he's been doing a lot more wrestling since he went "independent" for the same reason other media outlets cover it, it brings eyeballs.Ā  Helwani seems to quickly be becoming one of those "journalists" who uses contrived controversy and trolling to get traffic, guess he learned that at ESPN

Tony really needs to learn not to take the bait on this stuff though.Ā  I'm not on twitter and I'm just reading about all this today.Ā  Both of them come off bad, but Tony really needs to be above this sort of shit

59 minutes ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/ariel-helwani-details-reaction-to-tony-khan-tweet-reply-wwe-montreal-experience

Helwani is ridiculous saying "I'm not a wrestling journalist!" while covering it on his show, doing friendly interviews with people from WWE and getting paid for it.Ā  I don't pay much attention to him but from the outside it looks like he's been doing a lot more wrestling since he went "independent" for the same reason other media outlets cover it, it brings eyeballs.Ā  Helwani seems to quickly be becoming one of those "journalists" who uses contrived controversy and trolling to get traffic, guess he learned that at ESPN

Tony really needs to learn not to take the bait on this stuff though.Ā  I'm not on twitter and I'm just reading about all this today.Ā  Both of them come off bad, but Tony really needs to be above this sort of shit

As I've said in the past, a lot of the former and current MMA media members use the fact that they cover combat sports as way to evade doing their journalistic duties somewhere else. I have no problem with having wrestling fandom, but that doesn't mean you get to just not do your job.Ā 

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I'm sure his body age was probably closer to the 50 something in the late 90s. šŸ™‚

He was on a Las Vegas > Pittsburgh flight with me about a year ago. Chatted with him for a few minutes before we boarded. Felt terrible because he had some trouble moving around and would have to get up and walk the aisle every 20-30 minutes during the flight.

• Sad 3

Of all the available ECW nostalgia guys AEW could bring in, I gotta think:Ā 

Biggest Pop/Best Short-Term: RVD

"You Still Got It"/Best Long-Term: Masato Tanaka

Ace Steel/Nobody Asked For This But He's Old So We're Gonna Pretend He's a Legend: Lance Storm cutting a promo in Canada then getting beat up by MJFĀ 

Ā 

7 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Ace Steel/Nobody Asked For This But He's Old So We're Gonna Pretend He's a Legend: Lance Storm cutting a promo in Canada then getting beat up by MJFĀ 

Ā 

Most likely is this one, Jericho has said before he wants his actual last match to be against Storm. Who I believe was his first opponent too. Jericho doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon though.

AEW is coming back to Austin on May 17th, this time at a new venue. The Moody Center is right in the middle of Austin, on the edge of the UT campus; school will be out which means easier parking but less potential for student sales. I just saw Springsteen there and the beer prices are much higher than the Cedar Park Center, BUT I won't have to drive 25 miles and spend $20 in tolls to get there in time for the Dark taping.

• Like 7

On 2/20/2023 at 7:18 PM, EVA said:

ā€œIā€™m not a wrestling journalist.ā€

One month earlierā€¦

Ā 

In fairness, ā€œNick Khanā€™s mouthpieceā€ is probably a more accurate description of his role as it pertains to WWE.

Calling him out on Twitter was stupid, cringey, immature, childish, and makes him look thin-skinned. Tony Khan has way more important things to worry about than Ariel Helwani's perceived journalistic integrity.Ā 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4

Next week is the long awaited debut of aew in the Bay Area. Iā€™m going to dynamite and revolution, I have ā€œringsideā€ seats for dynamite but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be on the actual guardrail. Looks like Iā€™ll be one person off it in the upper left corner of the tv screen. Anyway Iā€™ll be rocking the dark sheik shirt if I happen to be visible.Ā 
Ā 

I gotta say it feels a little weird after being so hyped up for so long about aew and then when they come out here finally it just feels a little flat. Itā€™s just weird in a way. But I know they will be super entertaining shows with some kick ass matches and Iā€™m gonna have a great time.Ā 

• Like 5

I think you'll get plenty of screen time if you're in that spot.Ā  Especially when there's entrances and outside activity.Ā  Have fun, dude.

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

You canā€™t tease without the goods. I didnā€™t know what you meant.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Stu leaving has hurt Dark Order more than we may have realized at the time.Ā  He had one helluva team going with Uno and his singles stuff was great too.Ā  I hope with recent developments it might be enough to bring him back at least for a short time and see how he likes where things are going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, matt925 said:

Next week is the long awaited debut of aew in the Bay Area. Iā€™m going to dynamite and revolution, I have ā€œringsideā€ seats for dynamite but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be on the actual guardrail. Looks like Iā€™ll be one person off it in the upper left corner of the tv screen. Anyway Iā€™ll be rocking the dark sheik shirt if I happen to be visible.Ā 
Ā 

I gotta say it feels a little weird after being so hyped up for so long about aew and then when they come out here finally it just feels a little flat. Itā€™s just weird in a way. But I know they will be super entertaining shows with some kick ass matches and Iā€™m gonna have a great time.Ā 

Enjoy, fella. Cheer for my boy, Bryan Danielson for me please and thank you.

• Thanks 1