DVDVR Message Board

February 2023 AEW Discussion

The Natural

47 minutes ago, Matt D said:
  Reveal hidden contents

And it looks like we're headed to Claudio vs Kingston and Samoa Joe vs Mark Briscoe at the PPV with Yuta vs Thatcher on the road to the PPV.

ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney.gif

• Like 6

I'm skeptical of long-term viability of ROH being AEW overflow instead of its own thing that elevates different talent you would hope to one day see in AEW, but it will certainly produce a lot of great matches from guys who don't get as much time on Dynamite as they should.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Well, I can't speak for you guys, but those are two episodes of TV that I would like to watch. Just mixing and matching that talent bodes well for the rest of the year, huh?

I'm pretty excited for Rohit Raju and the Infantry jumping from Dark to ROH, smaller ponder higher ranks.

Not one but two Willow Nightingale matches? Woodsy vs Takeshita? 205 Live Reunion? 

If you aren't excited for this then frankly you need to take a lap.

• Like 8

Is ZSJ potentially a signee in the nearish future? Is Jay White still rumoured to be signing with AEW? Im hoping the answer to the first question is hell yes and to the second hell no but logic says probably the other way around. 

Also ROH cards look awesome. Takeshita/Woods!!

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 2

Just now, Belgian_Waffle said:

Is ZSJ potentially a signee in the nearish future? Is Jay White still rumoured to be signing with AEW? Im hoping the answer to the first question is hell yes and to the second hell no but logic says probably the other way around. 

I think Jay White is going to the WWE.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Me 2 mins ago: Yeah I'm not really interested in watching NuRoH...

8 hours ago, Matt D said:
  Hide contents

And it looks like we're headed to Claudio vs Kingston and Samoa Joe vs Mark Briscoe at the PPV with Yuta vs Thatcher on the road to the PPV.

Me now: So how do I watch RoH? 

That first match could be particularly hate-filled~! Hope they get time to build a proper storyline.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think Jay White is Adam Cole’s opponent at Revolution personally.

I think Cole already said he's returning on Dynamite the same week the reality show debuts rather than at the ppv. Also doing returning guy vs outsider/debuting guy makes for a weird build between two guys who haven't been on your tv in like a year, regardless of their history together (not that that's stopped TK from booking similar scenarios in the past). 

ROH TV looks fun. As expected. The Universal Studios layout was a bit of question mark, but it looks like they've the made the necessary changes. Specifically the crowd by the entrance and what looks like more seats around the perimeter. Now hoping for proper split rosters with fair crossover. Maybe we're there already? Also, how long must these episodes be? Not complaining, just assuming some marathons. Sign me up to the Honor Role Society Clubbering Lang.

Spoiler

Particularly excited for the Slim J-Briscoe TV opener and the collision course with the King of Television. So much fun stuff here with Fox-Claudio, Sabre-Christian, Woods-Takeshita, the Thatcher and Lady Frost debuts, Willow's ascent to the top and the collision course with Athena, a Kingston-Claudio Main Event build, etc. etc.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
Spoiler tag not Quote tag
  • Like 2

The ropes for ROH tv show are red.

For now the roster is AEW contracted people, some ROH people, freelancers and outside companies guys. Also if you have any ROH title you are more ROH than AEW, you are representing the ROH brand.

I love the brand of RoH. I’ll be honest, I dipped out during the TV era and when I came back it was people I didn’t know and I was too derped to check out a Matt Taven title run. But the sports/ big fight feel was such a breath of fresh air when I first discovered it. Danielson, Samoa Joe, Strong, the Briscoes, Low Ki, McGuiness, the NOAH guys, etc. It really maintained my love of the business and helped introduce me to an even deeper world I didn’t know how to approach. I would likely have fallen out of love with wrestling had it not been for stumbling over Low Ki vs KENTA and Samoa Joe vs Kenta Kobashi. 

I loved the idea of an excited smaller crowd like I’d see in the ECW footage, but instead of trying to redo ECW by being extreme/hardcore/edgy, or going the TNA route of highlighting an exciting X-Division, or doing what WWE was doing (I was an angsty teen so maybe I’d appreciate Cena and HHH more if the same thing was on tv now?) they went the way of shaking hands and having technical matches with chops and kicks.

It was an alternative I needed at that time. Which I hope to ramble on the idea of wrestling mimicking or being influenced by pop and modern culture in the future.

Now it is back. I hope they use a lot of Timothy Thatcher. Give me Yuta being mad with kicks. Prick Garcia being a douche. It will likely never be the same as the ROH I had loved, but a honorable representation that highlights great matches is something I’d love to get the Honor Club for. 

3 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I just joined HonorClub.  I don't know how I feel.

Im gonna wait until after the first ep airs. Hopefully it gets combined with AEW footage and not likely but hopefully Tony goes crazy and purchases to add CHIKARA, All Japan, lost Bockwinkel footage, the NWA, and also gives me a lifetime supply of free Taco Bell. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Im gonna wait until after the first ep airs. Hopefully it gets combined with AEW footage and not likely but hopefully Tony goes crazy and purchases to add CHIKARA, All Japan, lost Bockwinkel footage, the NWA, and also gives me a lifetime supply of free Taco Bell. 

FREE TACO BELL!  AWESOME!  I SHOULD HAVE JOINED MONTHS AGO!